Medium Recommendations for Single Auto Run

Hello everyone!
So I’m trying to put together a single run around August or September using @ReikoX’s FAM giveaway beans. I have the box pretty well mapped out, other than fan and carbon scrubber (not trying to spend too much and most seem overkill, max 18 cu ft). I’ll be converting an Ikea shelving system into a 1.5x2ft space, though height will be determined at a later date (several ways I can set it up). I’m going to go ahead and jump into a 4 strip SolStrip system on a 150w meanwell driver since I plan on doing more grows with it in the future. Other than the fan/scrubber I’m stuck on what to grow them in. I’m looking at no-till for future long term use, but I dont really want to go through all of that for a single run when it may lay dormant for 6 months after. I was considering mega crop with dwc but hydro kinda scares me for a first run in over 15 years.

Tl:dr- first run in 15 years, single run for awhile to come, autos, would prefer organic but no-till seems a bit much for a single run

8 Likes

I would grab a bag of Fox Farms Coco Loco or Happy Frog and supplement with megacrop. Probably be the easiest way for a first time with autos.

12 Likes

You got it covered however you wanna do it man!

I’ve been running straight coco and megacrop and works pretty well for me and many others… Soil is good with megacrop as well and the no till style is amazing too, but understandable if you may or may not use it again.

Solos to 2gal pots are you real range for an auto… I havent seen much difference past about 2gal to higher quantities as their roots can only get so big before they are done.

But again. You got this bud!

9 Likes

I was thinking along the lines of reikox. Just dont know what’s good anymore. Everyone’s making their own soil recipes now. Still not very familiar with coco. I feel like I’d have a bit more of a buffer with soil. Everything else was pretty straightforward, this part is hanging me up tho. I know most people mix perlite in coco, like 40%, would it be recommended to do the same with happy frog or fox farm coco loco?

3 Likes

What’s good is what you decide to do and stick to…
Gotta find your rhythym after some time… May not nail the first shot but best believe we’re gonna be here to help bud

5 Likes

I always use an organic potting soil personally and if using simple nutes then Megacrop and 3 gallon pots… My outdoor autos get a few feet tall.

4 Likes

@ChronicMcBudz It took me 4months of reading to decide to go with coco and mega crop and I’m glad I went with it. Just seems to be a good fit for me, even though I’ve had a bunch of bumps a long the way.

You’ve got a nice set of lights picked out, and I’m sure whatever you pick you’ll figure it out.

5 Likes

Another vote for coco as a substrate

I have tried lots of different soils, promix, dwc, and for my application coco with a bit of perilite in it works best.

Good luck with whatever you choose to run them in; keep us posted!

5 Likes

I use coco, but you can get great results from any method. I think the key is just to pick something that you think will fit your needs and stick with it until you’re proficient.

7 Likes

Straight coco is pretty easy, i use canna which has been good for me, and megacrop works well with it, as for lights check out the quantum board 120’s instead of 4 solstrips, similar priced for a 4 pack currently. Also for the space your considering i would expect you will be running in the 100-125w range but having that buffer with the 150 is handy

2 Likes

So I guess I should look into coco more… still have a couple months til germ time. I kinda figured the 150 would be a bit over kill, but I wanted a little extra due to the way I would have to rig up the lights. Coverage would be a little scarce on the far ends of the cab I would expect. Also was trying to future proof a bit. Once we move I plan on having a full space with a mother/clone cab and dual flowering chambers. The QBs look pretty decent but I dont know a whole lot about them.

Found this link:

Looks like I could rig up 2 with a 120w meanwell? Looking for coverage info now.

1 Like

most leds now say from screw in lights to quantum boards or the such if your in the 35w per sqft range your gonna do pretty decent.

Something also to consider in the QB vs Solstrip debate is solstrips jam together the leds which causes heat soak and bit of cascading effect to a certain degree, and IMO the stock heatsinks need to be about twice the size, and i find 30-35w a strip is more reasonable for what they can be run at with them, where as certain QB like the 120 have a bit more efficient chips (10% or so) and are spread further with a bigger backing plate so most can and do run them without a heatsink, but your gonna be dealing with a little heat issues either way in your space regardless of good or bad design, but is fully doable.

4 Likes

That actually might work out better. Looking at about $30 more with a meanwell 240 but I could get both levels running, and the coverage would be spread out more (each board lighting about 1x1.5ft). If I was able to pull 1gpw off of that I could smoke how I like and still be set for a year on a single run. I saw some diagrams, it looks like I can run 2 sets parallel of 2 boards running series off a single driver? This should probably be in grow room design now lol.

1 Like

The reason I suggested soil over coco was for simplicity. If you use coco, be prepared to adjust the pH and be in complete control over the plant. Like you said, soil gives you a buffer.

6 Likes

Hydro (bubble bucket) and megacrop is an excellent combination as long as your able to keep the ph in check.
For simplicity and if you don’t have any ph measuring equipment I’d go with a soil based medium as @ReikoX suggested. It usually has the added benefit of being pre loaded with nutrients that will get you through your veg period (usually 4 - 5 weeks worth) :v:

4 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions. Upended my whole plan, but that’s kinda the idea behind seeking advice, looking at possibilities you didnt see. I think I’m going to go soil just to have that buffer and not have to worry so much about ph and ec. It will be a single quick run so I wont really have time to dial in and being autos I dont want to add any newbie stresses that can be avoided. I’ll do some more research to decide on what to run once I get going steady. Was originally thinking bubbler for bonsai mothers and no-till for production plants but I’m gonna keep an eye on coco now. I’ll have to look at costs when I’m ready to buy, but the qb120s seem to be a better fit for the cab I plan on converting, thanks for that @Mr.Sparkle. kinda got stuck on SolStrips lol.

4 Likes

If you want a simple, water only, soil mix I can suggest one. You will need to let it compost for three or four weeks though. My Jabba’s Stash are running in it now with no issues.

3 Likes

That sounds cool. Does it have to be outside to compost, or could I put it together and just let it sit in the box keeping damp til I’m ready? Unfortunately dont have any outdoor areas to work right now

Yeah, I did the latter. Mix it up and then let it sit in a plastic bin for a month or so. You should be able to find everything you need a home depot or lowes.

The soil base is simple:
5 parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered (NOT PELLETED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Take some of this and set it aside for seedlings or freshly rooted clones.

To the rest ammend to each gallon of soil mix:
1 tablespoon Blood meal
2 tablespoons Bone meal
1-tablespoon Kelp meal
(OPTIONAL) 1 tablespoon Jersey Greensand

This came from an extremely long thread on ICMag.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=53792

Here is a post where I mixed it up.

4 Likes

I bought it and works great, I was recommended to buy the 4000K one, that’s a good choice … :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes