Old Skool Sproutz

Who’s still sprouting the old skool way, using a moistened paper towel sandwiched between two plates?

Ensuring seed viability before planting,

Crucial if one’s budget is tight,

As pre-sprouted seeds are pre-assured to grow.

7 Likes

Good results, tried and tested method.

Looking forward to your old school grow.

99%

3 Likes

I see it here.

That is pretty much how i do it too, only that i soak them until they crack then move them to the towels…

2 Likes

A lot of people do it this way.

What’s the new school way? :grin:

2 Likes

It is funny to me when i see people take and plant a seed in the soil… What kind of sorcery is that!?

:cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning:

BUAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning::cloud_lightning:

Sci :robot:

6 Likes

From what I see, new skool cannabis genetics is all about bio-tekkie [or is that ‘Trekkie’ :confused:] stuff - cloning, genome manipulation, etc.

1 Like

I’m a little paranoid of going from ‘threatening to drown’ to ‘omigawd! I drowned the seeds!’ :confounded:

1 Like

Nah! An overnight dunk won’t hurt 'em!

2 Likes

Nah, I stick mine straight in the dirt. They either come up or they don’t. Not sure how sprouting them in a paper towel saves any money.

4 Likes

It doesn’t. If it doesn’t sprout you stick
another seed in and the next seed will
consume the seed that didn’t work.

This has nothing to do with saving
money.

It’s just an arbitrary practice that trended.

It’s also my personal experience that your
germination rate decreases using this method.

I would never recommend it.

You also should never touch seedlings.

Crab

4 Likes

I did a test on my environment earlier this year, in which I direct sowed seeds vs sprouting in a paper towel and got 2/10 to pop that were straight in the dirt over a 100% germ success rate in the paper towel…

I will say that the paper towel option is not a viable way to pop seed if wanting to use them for breeding stock, because if it can’t push through shell and dirt, its genes aren’t worth growing.

we all do what we can and people’s varying ways of starting their grow are their own and its noones job here to put anyone else down for what they do ( unless they are confessed rippers, then have at it)… were here to help each other, so agree to disagree and move on.

5 Likes

Interesting! Maybe it’s because I germ everything outside in Cali that I seem to have a high success rate with not only cannabis seeds sprouting, but veggie and flower seeds.

@toastyjakes I wasn’t putting anyone down, I was simply answering the question presented. I couldn’t care less how everyone chooses to sprout their seeds. Whatever works!

4 Likes

Oh I know… it just seems every time this discussion comes up, am argument starts.

just trying to quell before it happened lol

2 Likes

Haha! Okay! No arguments from me. I ain’t got time for that. Life’s too short.

3 Likes

By new skool, maybe they mean those rockwell cube things. Those cost more than a paper towel for sure. I’ve personally never used them.

2 Likes

I just wanted to show my method, and ask the community what they do. Thanks to you & the community, I know more today than I did yesterday.

3 Likes

Awesome! I think you have a pretty tried and true method there, either way. Sending green thumb juju your way! :seedling:

2 Likes

I have tried different ways to pop seeds myself.

Rapid rooters (%60 success), rock wool cubes (%22 success), in dirt (see rapid rooters), paper towels (99%), toilet paper (%70 and don’t ask lol).

I prefer the soak till it drops and pop her in a paper towel, little more work to keep it moist but sometimes the second old school way other then dirt is the best way.

3 Likes

I soak the seeds as a way to determine potential viability. Just a habit I got into during tight times when the only genetics available was bag seed. The one trouble I have gotten into with the paper towel method is planting the seed at the right time - not too early and not too late.

I’m intrigued by your toilet paper method :grin: but since you said, ‘don’t ask’… I’m guessing you had to do what you had to do.

2 Likes