Ole Boomer’s learning some new tricks (Desert Grow log 22’)

Hey all,

Been growing cannabis off and on for 10 years exclusively indoor. I live in Central AZ which is an extremely dry region that typically has 2-3 months of 110 degree days. Due to these extremes I was always under the impression that it was impossible to grow quality cannabis outside.

Luckily I have some amazing friends locally that politely told me I was wrong and had a great run in 21’ with a few minor adjustments so I’ve decided to step outside my comfort zone and give it a go.

Due to the climate I wanted to start off with some landrace strains to hopefully have a better chance of success so I was luckily enough to stumble across a few posts about coloradosativas and decided to give them a go.

Strains:
We’ll be starting off with their Panama and CISKEI with cracking 5 beans each and culling out the runts as we move along in veg.

Germination: going to keep it simple and just do the paper towel method soaked in distilled water and put into a zip lock bag. With this method all seeds should be cracked and ready to go into solo cups within 48-72 hours. Typically the type of water doesn’t matter much (within reason) but I decided to use distilled water as I had some on hand, as well as heard other growers on OG use it so figured I would give it a shot.

My soil recipe is essentially the coots recipe and then I added some beneficial mycorizhae fungi to help the roots grow to their full potential.

I also have two jelly pie plants about a month old going that I’ll be posting pictures on each week.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!

21 Likes

Very cool bud! Looking forward to seeing how this goes repping az! I grow in a greenhouse about 5 miles from the river in the northwest corner on the border of Cali and NV. It’s most def possible to grow out here in the heat as long as you can protect the plants from the savage winds and implement methods that are gonna protect your roots from the heat the plants will handle just fine, I’ve got the extra challenge of the “greenhouse effect” and battle that with exhaust panel left out up top and a swamp cooler one the bottom in the back forcing the air up and out the greenhouse. If u need any tips and tricks giving your plants the heat resistance i got a few things up my sleeve :wink:

Those posts about Colorado sativa’s came from me, didn’t realize his stuff was gonna spread like a wildfire on this site mentioning the source but super cool it did! Great work SHOULD be recognized and actually thrilled to see his work in action! I’ve got his panama, queen mother, and Punto roja that i haven’t had a chance to grow yet

7 Likes

Awesome bro! That ciskei is one I am very interested in.

1 Like

I’m in southern AZ. I’ve grown lots of stuff outside hybrids and domesticates. They love the sun and heat’s alright if you can get them some shade after 3 during the hottest parts of Summer. Don’t be afraid to give them a little dry-back, too, but not too much. They’re tough plants. Looking forward to watching this

4 Likes

Ooo yeah I don’t envy you when trying to fight that greenhouse effect in the summer. Definitely has to be a difficult balance to find.

Ahaha I just put two and two together that you were the one toe call out Coloradosativas. Greatly appreciate the recommendation on that.

Already I’m impressed on customer service and price. Looking forward to seeing what the germ rates and phenotypes to come.

3 Likes

Right?!?! From the pics I’ve seen so far of different grows it looks like there’s some potential for some meat hammer nuts ahead!

2 Likes

Nice, glad to hear it. Right now my raised bed is just up against my wall so it provides a couple hours of shade in the late afternoon but I’m probably going to have to install a sunshade sooner rather than later to help them out in the coming weeks

2 Likes

:champagne: To a successful grow.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

I’ll just sit back, relax, and watch the show. Hope it is a happy and healthy grow with little to no mishaps :green_heart:

4 Likes

I am excited for you @boomer

Can’t wait to see your transition to outdoor growing.

I have a feeling you are going to :heart: outdoor.

Sounds perfect for a Sub Irrigation Planter/Pot . ( :arrow_left: just had to get that in there)

And you are running Panama (pink/red pistils), " Panama combines three excellent sativas from Panama. It is one of the most popular, powerful and high yielding sativa in our catalog"

Can’t wait to see how that grows out!

Exciting Times… :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Hey bro that discord blowing up and doing some giveaways tomorrow, take a lil time and hang out with us in there!

1 Like

Cannabis regionality is deeply fascinating. It’s cool to see you start off by talking about how you chose specific landraces for growing in your area. Like how some in Canada/Maine utilize cold resistant autoflowers more since it matches the climate.

Good luck! It’s a swamp here so seeing a grow from the other side of the hygrometer is refreshing.

2 Likes

I actually grew panama last year from a different source, no red pistils but the tops were green and flip it upside down and the under/bottoms of the leaves/buds were red. Called it my Christmas plant which was fitting cuz that’s around when it was harvested. I’ve actually got some other red pistil stuff from an independent breeder i plan on running in a couple weeks… here’s some of the pics he sent me

8 Likes

Gawd D*MN that is a beautiful color. That red striping on the pistils is stunning!

2 Likes

Ya Gerry is a great dude, heard nothing but positive things about him and think it’s wonderful he’s putting in the dedication to preserve these landraces and keep em going in the world :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not my plants or panama. Name for it is critical eagle Charlie, a line he’s been working for a min, previous parent was eagle berry

1 Like

I don’t know how to change my Discord user name to go onto canna sites. Can I have multiple usernames?

1 Like

Don’t believe so, mine is different on there too

Yeah that’s one thing that was always interesting when I was growing in my closet/garage and going through the old forums in the early years. CONSTANt posts of people being paranoid about powdery mildew, mold, etc in their tents. I was just so naive to how dry it was outside in my area that I didn’t understand that these people couldn’t simply open up a window real quick so their tent was back to 40-60 RH. Oh to be young and stupid :joy::joy::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wow she is purrrrrrty. I’m excited for you bud.

1 Like