Ole Boomer’s learning some new tricks (Desert Grow log 22’)

Don’t believe so, mine is different on there too

Yeah that’s one thing that was always interesting when I was growing in my closet/garage and going through the old forums in the early years. CONSTANt posts of people being paranoid about powdery mildew, mold, etc in their tents. I was just so naive to how dry it was outside in my area that I didn’t understand that these people couldn’t simply open up a window real quick so their tent was back to 40-60 RH. Oh to be young and stupid :joy::joy::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wow she is purrrrrrty. I’m excited for you bud.

1 Like

Alright guys, been a bit slow of a germination when I had the seeds above the fridge so moved them to a slightly warmer area by my GPU mining rig. So far I have 2/5 popped from each the CISKEI and Panama that I’ll get into some solo cups and and keep a ziplock bag over for the first week or so at an attempt to keep a humid environment until they’re alittle more ready to endure the summer heat. Here’s a few pictures of my jelly pie babies. Both have been stunted and I recently FIMM’d one in an attempt to try and get some horizontal branching but might have been a bit premature.

It seems like they got stunted in the solo cups from lack of nitrogen as they are a bit lighter than I would like. So two days ago I topp dressed them with fresh earth worm castings (EWC) and oyster shell flour (Calcium) in an effort to rejuvenate them a bit. Ph of the soil seems fine so I’m going to start with the usual N/Ca deficiency culprits.

Most people I’ve talked to that grow in the desert use some sort of seedless hay or mulch to keep the roots cool, I’m using pine needles as it’s what I have on hand. Seems to be doing it’s job so far but might need to add more as the temps pick up.

8 Likes

And yes, one did unfortunately/fortunately go into pre flower due to the spot I had it on my patio, but atleast we know it’s a female :joy::joy::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Update:

Alright folks, things are coming along nicely for the jelly pie, the one that went into flower early is still trying to reveg so I suppose she’ll be a runt, but atleast she’ll be productive for end of the season. Other one is really loving the earth worm castings/oyster shell flour top dress that I gave her as you see in all the dark green color/branching in her.

In regards to the germination rate on CISKEI/Panama it ended up being 3/5 popped. The 3 CISKEI are doing well but I’m embarrassed to admit that I let the 3 Panama dry out too much and I’m almost certain they are done for….went ONE extra day without watering them due to work/other projects and the AZ heat took advantage of em. Lesson learned, more coco in my startup cubes so that they can hold as much moisture as possible to battle the heat.

Mama didn’t raise a quitter so I’ll be poppin 5 more Panama.

Got a surprise guest coming out with @AzSeaindooin420 beans coming in the mail this week! Threw 5 of the White Rhino in a shot glass and just moved them into the paper towel. So far got two confirmed germinated and looking like 1 or 2 more are cracked.
Going to hold onto the Jack Herer beans you sent as that’s one of my favorite strains so don’t want to eff them up on the first outdoor grow….but boy is throwing one out there tempting.

Thanks again man for being so helpful and kind. Got your care package in the mail yesterday so hopefully you’ll be getting them soon.

10 Likes

I will def be tagging along on this bro! U Betta believe that!!!

Don’t be afraid to bro! If u end up needing more I’ll get ya some more :wink: fyi I went digging on the source, the original beans were purchased from Humboldt back in 99 for jack so that’s where it came from

Very cool, love the pine needle idea. Have yet to see anyone grow out the Ciskei but I am highly intrigued by the African , Hindu / afghani landrace/heirlooms tbh. As for the JP it’s one of my all time favourite smokes I’ve seen or personally grown terp wise and was sticky as sticky could be even after a 3&1/2 month cure. I never kept a mom plus gave away the 6 remaining beans and have kicked myself since…… the moral is .in that sense, Don’t be like me :wink:

Ahahah yeah I’m super excited to see the lndraces develop as I’ve traditional only grown the US OG kush/chemdawg/g13/ etc derivatives that you see from all the yield junkie grows(obviously, I’m a recovering addict from whoring myself out for yield ahahah)

In regards to Greenpoint and specifically jelly pie. I’ve grown their city slicker before and although I didn’t get the coveted purple pheno, they were frosty, dense buds that had a superior high to most smoke I’ve had around AZ lately. I was just hard on myself about it not having as much “ bag appeal “ and threw my clones away only two weeks into cure. Those bitches tightened up like you wouldn’t believe and all my friends were going out of their way to get more of it, in a legal rec state :joy::joy::joy:

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am going to keep clones for atleast a year minimum after first harvest to fully gauge the quality of the end product once it’s been properly cured.

3 Likes

Very wise choice. I will definitely be along for the ride, here’s hoping for some fire.

Beeen hesitant on an update post cause it’s been a tragic couple weeks from a plant perspective.
First, had my white rhinos/Panama seeds that germ’d get roasted while I was away for 3 days and they didn’t make it. Definitely an embarrassing moment but hey, you learn more from your failures than your successes, right?

Next tragic scenario was I had another two rows of block added to my fence by a contractor to get ready to put up some shade for the plants. Well, the contractor and his crew didn’t give a fuck about my plant that was revenging and stomped all over it, got mortar all over my onions, etc. the kicker was that they did a shit job on laying the mortar so the new bricks aren’t even sturdy enough to bolt into for the shade cloth….I can only laugh at it now in an attempt not to be super pissed about the situation.

The jelly pie is coming along well and managed to save one of the CISKEI’s I had going in the solo cups.

Also I just popped some more beans that I’m going to grow inside until late the days start getting shorter here. So far I have 1 of @AzSeaindooin420 jack herer popped and two of the oaxacan. Probably going to pop a couple of the Panama too as I was really looking forward to growing that strain, even if it’s just only going to be grown outdoors for the flowering phase of the plant at this point.

2 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Well if u need more of either jack or the rhino then just say the word and I’ll get em out in the morning :wink: shit happens, ants have been hitting some of my seedlings and my friends garden is getting lizards chomping em lol gotta love the battles with nature haha

2 Likes

Nice and clean looking there. Are those dried pine needless?

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Ahahah thanks man, got one of your jack herer seedlings going strong but nada on the white widow front after the massacre :confused:

We’ll see how this one goes and play it by ear. Your generosity with information and the like is always greatly appreciated.

Your grow is fricken blowing up over there my guy.l! I was looking at that 6 footer and just blown away that she’s that big this early! Great work is an understatement.

2 Likes

They are indeed. Had to do something to try and keep the AZ heat off the root zone, family has a place up in the mountains and figured I would just use the pine needles from the property as a “mulch” layer.

Most outdoor growers in the valley here use a lot of seedless hay or wood chips but I didn’t have access to any of that so figured the pine needles were the next best thing.

4 Likes

Update: the plants are really starting to hit their groove, especially the jelly pie. To see her growth the last month makes me only dream of the monster she’ll become with still 2+ months of veg left. Trying not to get ahead of myself because I realize outdoor has so many more variables then what I’m used to. But it’s hard not to imagine where she could be….

Amendments: did a top dress of
1/4 cup kelp meal
1/4 cup crab meal
A dash of oyster shell flour
A dash of neem meal
A dash of azomite for trace minerals

Spread that mix majority on the jelly top soil and alittle bit on the CISKEI. Haven’t seen any burn yet so just going to make sure I water deep this next week.

@AzSeaindooin420 sent me a tea recipe that I’m going to make in the next week or so, just aggregating the last couple inputs for it and I can get it going.

It hit 102 degrees today and this baby is in full sun. Gives me a LOT of hope for the 115-120 days because by then I’ll have a 30-40% shade over them to keep them a bit cooler.

2 Likes

8 Likes