Ole Boomer’s learning some new tricks (Desert Grow log 22’)

i’m doing most excellent, boomer! i hope you’re enjoying mexico. what part you hanging out at?

looking forward to seeing you pop more colorado sativa seeds. hit me up with your addy again and i’ll get those jelly pie crosses out to you. you know, i normally smoke sativas but so many people are talking about jelly pie this or cookies that or pancakes or truffles or whatnot, it’s got me a little intrigued. what’s up with these flavorful hybrids? are they really all that?

1 Like

Plants do fine even over 110f here too. Dry air so you swamp cool the media. Silica and other stress reducers help too.
The dry air, uv, and longer fall with some manipulation can actually get us significantly better bud here than the Oregon mids floating everywhere here. Takes more effort.

2 Likes

:open_mouth:gps from way back?

1 Like

Down in puerto Penasco for the weekend my guy. Nothing but cold beer, margaritas, and fish tacos all weekend.

Yeah as far as my rationale I’m a really big fan of the cherry pie as far as smell and taste. Typically made from grand daddy purp and my personal favorite, Durban poison.

Definitely interest in running those seeds. I’ll pm you. Cheers mate

1 Like

Yeeep, got them on a flash deal for 30$ a pack. Love their germination rate. I’ve only ran their city slicker before and didn’t get the pheno I wanted, but was still great bud.

1 Like

Jelly pie update:
Welp, as you can see my indoor growing roots are in full swing and I just subconsciously find myself LSTing and pinching branches like I’m about to hit my grow room ceiling or something :joy::joy::joy:

Going to let her just do her thing for the next week and go from there. There’s no need to keep this girl low. Just need to let her stretch out a bit and I’ll guide her along when the time comes to stretch out.

CISKEI: the more I look at it, the more the uniform structure concerns me that it might be a male. Keep checking for balls each morning so I’ll just keep an eye on em.

Bonus: sometimes, I’d rather be lucky than good. Found some preying mantis on the jelly pie this evening, super excited that I got the team going to work eating any freeloaders that come my way!

Got some amendments from down to earth coming in the mail this week and then I’ll give them all their first tea, should really see them takeoff from there.

3 Likes

That’s one of their best. My cs germ and survival rate was trash, one fem was slow and looked like hemp so i chucked it.
Does it seem leaves grow narrower in the desert?

I have an unopened pack of tombstone too. Anything TK touches is gold. I have no space n time to sex them, maybe south window when we get that angled sun in few monts. One of the reviewers pics looked like sfv og cola type on roids.
I got cannaventure lvtk on sale from Gps too years ago best kush i ever had or grew

2 Likes

Alright, gave the girls a compost tea today cause they’re looking alittle nitrogen deficient(but it’s been awhile so open to all opinions. Yellowing of the lower leaves first, a few purple stems, and some of the yellowing leaves have brown/copper color blotches on them so that’s throwing me off a bit thinking it might be something else. Soil ph is alittle high around 8 so might just be a lockout situation. I’ll top dress with some sulphur and spent coffee grounds to try and drop that down a bit before my next water. The CISKEI seems to be struggling the most in the heat which is interesting as I thought the landraces would hold up better than sweet ole jelly pie. Been hitting 110F for about the last week. Will be getting the shade cloth up tonight as it’s finally out for delivery. Going to rig it up on some EMT conduit for a quick and effective solution. I’ll post some pictures of the shade build if anyone is interested.

1 Like

5 Likes

Hard to say on the thinner leaves in the desert. In my mind it’s just dependent on genetics but I’d be interested to see a side by side comparison of an outdoor clone only in southern Arizona compared to somewhere more cool and humid like the west coast beach cities

2 Likes

Looking good!

Interested what the results of the shade cloth will be. I made a ghetto shade tent over my veggies, which helped a lot. I used 30% shade amazon cloth. The weed seems to have been fine and growing rapidly, but it’s only 100 here. The Snow-G is the weakest of the bunch in terms of temperature resiliance (or so it seems), so they are laid out so that one gets shade first in the afternoon (2-3pm).

Please let me know how the coffee/sulphur lowers your pH. I thought both of those solutions were pretty long timeframe options, like it will take months/years to create tangible decrease. I have a kitchen herb planter that is a little high and was looking at ways of lowering the pH on a shorter timescale, but I haven’t done anything about it yet.

1 Like

your plants are looking good overall there boomer. i assume the really nice green plant on the left is your jelly pie? i imagine it’s better situated right now with a bigger root system, so perhaps that’s helping it weather the heat better than the smaller plant on the right.

i’m still a new grower so i can’t really help identify your yellowing leaves issue.

if you want to do an outdoor comparison of a clone only variety with a west coast grower, i know @Meesh grows outdoors and she’s west coast. i think her garden is full for the season though, so you’ll probably have to wait until next season.

1 Like

Heat stress can cause some of the leaf damage you have as well. I seem to lose a couple of lowers every week when we have sustained high temps like that. I’ve tried adding nutes, but it doesn’t seem to help.

1 Like

I definitely see the affects of it in my soil immediately with the sulfur, but it being a Timelapse’s breakdown it’s hasn’t completely fixed the problem. My city water is incredibly alkaline raining from 8.5 -9+ depending on the day. Adding a couple cups of the sulphur as a top dress has brought down the ph to somewhere around 7.5-8. Which is obviously still a problem cause I risk nutrient lockout happening. I’m only using one of those cheap 15$ green soil moisture/ph meter testers so I’m alittle hesitant on using that ph reading as gold copy data. Might have to look into other options of recording the soil ph in the bed

If your plant has a disposition toward “piney” terps, that’ll definitely bring them out.

@Papageorgio