Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

At lights on I’ll be shifting the lights around to make room for the QB in the center. I’ll setup the corncobs separately once I can figure out the best arrangement. Once the QBs arrive I’ll need to work on the light distribution again

2 Likes

Here’s the current light setup. I’m welcome to suggestions for the corncobs and other screw ins.

And a group shot for now as I’m tired and I have to be up in 7 hours

2 Likes

I’d remove the corn cobs and screw ins altogether then move the rest of the lights to 18" above the plants

2 Likes

I couldn’t get 18" stable, but I did get 19" :sweat_smile:
I’ll try again with a clearer head in a bit.

According to the page these lights aren’t the worst with par, but at my current height it’s between 400 and 300 par per light at 19"

There a large dark spot above the lights now that the screw ins are out of the tent.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Garlic

3 Likes

@MomOnTheRun do you know the ppfd of the qb120 3000k v1? I’m sure with all the extra lights though it’s not as easy as adding up the numbers together. :sweat_smile:

Also what should I mix up for my next watering? Now that I have the ewc, fish fertilizer, and obviously megacrop what would you recommend?

If I assume the ppfd was properly measured on the Amazon lights that’s 478 μMole/M2 -S per unit.

The calculation from the Post here

And the calculation in a 4x4 tent at 60 points thanks to YouTuber migro

gives me 2,657.7718478986 μMole/M2 -S

IDK if adding them together does anything, but if it does I got 4,569.7718478986 μMole/M2 -S in the tent rn. I’m tired, so please correct me if I’m wrong. Hopefully I didn’t get sick with what’s going around here :sweat_smile:

Okay that math doesn’t seem to add up for me.
I followed the DLI calculator here, but now I’m just left more confused as to my DLI as it says I have 2.43 hours until I reach 40 DLI and I know I can’t be right, so I’ll leave it here and let those who ocwn help tell me what I did wrong😅

1 Like

Questions aside I see the combination of the 3000k and the cheapo lights are leaning towards white with a hint of pink.

The cheapo lights I still am unsure of the shorthanded for since they shine magenta leaning towards pink. I’m not sure blurple describes them since they use orange and white LEDs too😅
If blurple works I’m just going to use those as I’m not sure if it has enough coverage to be called a full spectrum light.

Oh yeah Diana’s pistils are starting to turn brown now. Looks like by the time I have no other choice but to transplant indigo I’ll have harvested Diana and put her in the freezer for later processing or whatever I plan to do after harvest.

The garlic in Diana’s pot is looking like it’s needing a look at for harvest also, so once she’s harvested I’ll fill the pot with the soil the clover has made a home in amended with the soil in the other 3 gallon fabric pot and some ewc at the ratio @MomOnTheRun recommens as I have no idea how to use those. The plants will need a watering Tomorrow. The 6g megacrop and 1g Epsom salts per gallon ratio worked nicely, but it didn’t store well. Past 24 hours it stank like shit. Actual shit like a toilet. It went anaerobic fast. Note to self don’t get the CVS distilled water even if my fingers and forearms are cramping up from the Cold. More specifically I can’t move anything past absolutely basic movement’s. No individual finger movements and no closed hands. Sorry TMI shit was awful :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, this is as close as I have on file as people are doing the ppfd’s on the bigger boards

HLG also did some testing comparing the hlg 65 (qb120), 100 and 135 kits HLG 65 (QB120), 100 and 135 kits

I would make a tea with ~2Tb ewc and 1/2 Tb liquid fish in 8cups water…let sit for 2-3 hrs then strain the ewc for a foliar then topdress then ewc and water in with the megacrop. That should get some green back to them in a hurry

Just call them what they are: 30w zxmean boards :wink:

All in all, they look better with no more wasted light as its all going to the plants now. If you you set them up works for you then great! However, I would go with this:

And work my way up to this using the 1st option to either veg a 3x3 or flower a 2x3:

Which is similar to my plans for my 2x3 using pretty much the same watts I am using now

When amending a soil to recycle, I like to topdress 1/4c ewc per 5 gallons so for your 3 gallon pots, i’d use 1/8 cup or 2 Tb as its better to topdress (long term) than foliar (short term) though either works

1 Like

Okay sweet! That s a lot to process rn, so I’ll have to bookmark that and come back to it when I’m awake😅
I’ve been charging my phone to take pictures. I’m a little confused what’s going on with Indigo. She’s wilting almost. Her soil is dry on top and below it’s not dry yet, but not shiny either. That hardneck garlic isn’t doing too well, so worst case I switch to that pot for now if I’m seeing signs of rootbound happening. The roots that were coming out are now self pruning back into the pot. I’m probably going to just cut the bottom of the pot off carefully as these things are really cheap TBH. They worked great though. I’ll look into the nursery bags next. I have the option to grab some stuff tomorrow before it gets too late, so I’ll look into nursery bags to transplant in and a proper hygrometer with a high and low value. My analog one sucks for overall knowledge of conditions in there without going in all the time.

1 Like

Its a lot to take in though the most cost effective that I have found so far…all except for the Infra red though far red is pretty darn close.

Idk about the garlic though imho, Indigo looks fine to me…on her way to asking for rehydration in the next day or 2. Daisy, Zelda and GSC needs some nitrogen though with an up pot in the near future for GSC and Indigo

1 Like

I’m honestly probably just going to harvest the garlic now and put indigo in the orange pot there. I saw on bottom of GSC soil is a large mycorrhizae colony. I’ve watered GSC, indigo, and Diana. Just plain water this time as I need to get a good mix in. I’ve tried mixing heavy with them and the issues seem to persist if not get worse, so I’m not sure what it is TBH. Though I do know my soil is very fungal dominant for sure​:sweat_smile: plenty of mycorrhizae and possibly even from last grow helping the new one. It’d be nice :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Now for tonight’s pics. I’m waiting for them to adjust to the water before new pics.
Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

The plants are definitely drinking more easily. The soil became hard and crusty down to the bottom. I can’t rely on previous estimates rn and watering habits will have to change. I’ll water from the bottom if possible as I’m terrible at dripping 1 drop at a time and waiting for 5 minutes to watch it go down. Not literally, but it does take a few minutes to head down sometimes and I usually have to start with a spray bottle and very small amounts of distilled water dripped on top to start. It seems I have dry pockets is what I’m trying to say.

2 Likes

As promised here’s the last pics of the night.

Diana

GSC

Indigo

@MomOnTheRun still the same conclusion on deficiency issues? Just checking to be safe on the next watering. I haven’t watered Zelda or Daisey yet. I see them with the leaves angled up now.

Also indigo has perked up slightly after watering. Not sure what’s going on with her

2 Likes

Yeah. They all look nitrogen deficient in this last batch though be careful with Diana as she could be at the eat self stage though she looks pretty young still. Idk. I am still learning and practicing with auto’s.

3 Likes

IDK how much longer autos can get tbh :sweat_smile:
@ReikoX this is one of yours what’s your input here? I thought she was supposed to be harvested soon. My calendar says the 27th is her 10 week mark from sprout

Depends. Some say 8 weeks while others say 10 - 12 though I was reading on AFN that if you want to get them bigger then don’t start flowering formulation(s) until bud set which is ~6 wks and if you want to keep them small then start flowering formulation(s) just after showing sex ~3-4 wks so I am sure that can have an affect on her as well as, not getting enough light until now so she is definitely behind

1 Like

True. I was able to get her a better home and environment first at least. No word from my dad on work in awhile, so I’ll be out tomorrow looking for something at least part time for now.

Oh yeah😅 @MomOnTheRun should I topdress now for Daisey and Zelda while I mix up a fertilizer mix for them? I’ve been spacing out half asleep tbh, so I forgot to make the foliar like a putz😅
Knowing myself I have to wait until I’m awake in the morning to do it or I’ll do something wrong while I’m nodding off standing up. 3am is usually my crash time.

Also I did notice that consistently when it’s nearing time to water I can’t keep the humidity much higher than 15-30% it’s not a reliable check, but it’s at least something. I should invest in a moisture meter for the plants. If only there was a kind that could measure multiple ones at once😅 that’d be great for my wallet, but on a positive note my friend is definitely in for helping me out this grow. Even if the autos will end up harvested by then I’ll still have the photos I’ll be keeping in veg until I pretty much have to flower them. Ideally it’ll be when he can buy me a new set of lights. I definitely need some more Support bars for stabilized hang points as you see in my earlier pic it is starting to look like a spider web up there.

Oh yeah before I forget there’s some 4 row led strips I’ve been seeing lately and all I can think of is that I want to make a light from them😂

1 Like

Go ahead and mix them up, get some sleep then filter out the ewc (sprayers hate the stuff), put the ewc slurry around the soil and foliar feed just after lights out…next Mega Crop day the ewc will filter through the soil

Awesome!

Just a bit…you’ll get it figured out :wink:

Cool…do you have a link?

2 Likes

IDK if anyone has made them waterproof yet though

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-strips-and-bars/2835-white-high-cri-led-strip-light-bright-quad-row-led-tape-light-24v-ip20-1317-lmft/3658/7667/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-strips-and-bars/2835-white-high-cri-led-strip-light-bright-quad-row-led-tape-light-custom-length-24v-ip20-1317-lmft/3616/7827/

I think I waited too long to mix it up, so I’m going to crash and mix up everything before I head out for a bit tomorrow to grab rye berries and an Amazon gift card should I find out they’re not in stock locally.

Night :sleeping::zzz:

2 Likes