Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

She was looking healthy enough for it. Her stretch was getting a bit strong the last day

1 Like

As for the megacrop last water I gave them 6.36g in a half gallon. Much higher than the recommended dose. That was the ratio both Daisey and Zelda responded to without issues. In fact Indigo and GSC both look nitrogen starved still.

How much soil would I need to grab to swap out the soil?

I ask because it would seem until they establish themselves the soil health is very low. It’s too hydrophobic and if I were to use it again I’ll be drying it all out flat, amend it heavily and testing small amounts for water retention and drainage before perlite

1 Like

The ewc seems to be helping the soil feel much better and I’ll see tomorrow how the soil handles water this time.

@MomOnTheRun I seem to be getting heavy feeders or my soil is that bad and I have to supplement what the soil would normally give or IDK why they seem so lime green still.

I’m glad to know the gypsum is useful :sweat_smile:

Instead of noob instinct I will listen to your recommendation for ratio. I had been increasing megacrop up slightly over time, but last time I doubled it and they responded well to it. Regardless, if the ratio I used will be bad later I’ll listen

1 Like

As much as you need for the final pot

They “should” have greened up with the nitrogen load you gave though I suspect the high dose of Megacrop didn’t help…the soil is probably just that bad. This last foliar is the last “trick” up my sleeve :wink:

It is great to have on hand with many uses. I have been avoiding recommending a topdress with it while figuring out the underlying issue…less is more.

They responded well because now they want more sulfur and magnesium after that heavy nitrogen load though getting overfed the other stuff so still reacting…this is why I start with foliars before messing with the soil as it helps uncover the underlying issue when none is apparent :wink:

3 Likes

I stand corrected. Zelda is showing rust spots now😅 Daisey isn’t showing any signs of issues though. None of the plants are drooping like they want water yet, so I’ll give them another day before I water. Those are the same rust spots I saw when I gave her nutes too soon initially, so I burned Zelda with too many nutes.

I’ll take pics in the morning. I’m tired now.

1 Like

Yeah, par for the course so to speak

Yup! And since you have given another high stress moment, she isn’t going to uptake water like the others. My personal rule is 4 days for any high stress item… ie cut when watering is due then wait 4 days or if I want to increase root girth, cut a day after watering then wait with leaves puffing for a day or 2. Either way, the plant will show what it needs after 4 days of whatever treatment in soil…foliars tend to follow the same “rule” as hydro being immediate just adding a day ime.

I was planning on running a White Widow I was gifted from an accidental pollination with deeprobs black x champagne in my 2x3x4 cabinet though what did germ, failed soon after sooooo tell ya what, since you have followed my light advice and knowing your on a tight budget like I am, I will send you a grow kit next week and we will grow Greenpoints Hibernate side by side (5 seeds each) in the same medium /nutes and compare in a different “throw down” thread using ONLY a single qb120 at 60 w THEN i’ll tell you what we used and how you can repeat it… are you game?

3 Likes

When do the tickets go on sale?

4 Likes

Do you not need a heatsink for the Qboard?

2 Likes

Of course I am! :smile:
I’ll make sure I clear out a spot this if I’ll need the space. In general I should clean more now that my Xbox is broken.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not for the wattage I’ll be running no. I’ll be going no higher than 70w per board and they say that up to 70w won’t need a heatsink. From what I’m reading it seems these can be cranked up higher, but a heatsink is needed to drive them harder than 70w safely.

The QB I have installed now is a little warm to the touch, but not really much warmer than my skin temp, so I’d say it’s not producing enough to need a sink

2 Likes

I took plenty of pics and it seems as if they don’t need water yet. The fabric pots are now moist on top anyways. Diana’s soil is completely dry 2" down with no moisture felt, but she doesn’t seem fazed by it and the companion plants aren’t wilting yet either.

If I were to guess what’s up with Indigo I’d say she had overwatering symptoms, but now I’m not sure other than it’s still not time to water.

Rather than judging myself I’ll let the plants tell me when it’s time. I trust that someone will tell me if I need to and I’m not thinking about that yet😅

Either way @MomOnTheRun thank you for the ewc! :grin: the soil texture when dry feels much better now. Not hydrophobic feeling, but almost a oily texture that doesn’t transfer when touched. It feels like soil not dirt now. I’ll have to get new soil when I can, but for now the ewc seems to be at least in part what my soil needs for structure.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Hygrometer

Group shots

4 Likes

@Undead-Toker @Brandon7467 @ReikoX and anyone else who can chime in and help out:
How should I hook up the output wire for the driver? I’ve only held off from doing that until I know what I’m doing to keep from fucking up😅
This isn’t something I know how to do already, so I’d appreciate the help in figuring it out. I don’t have any wire nuts and money is not a option to spend rn. If that means I’m waiting for the option to buy wire nuts I’ll wait. Alternatively I was wondering if splicing on a plug to the output side like I did the input side would be good or bad? The connections attached to the end I could hook up easily to a plug like it was in the lamp socket.

As long as I’m following advice I’ll keep learning any skill I can.

Truth is I’m trying to figure out how I’ll wire all the boards together with my dangling lights not on a rail. If only I could smelt that solid aluminum block into one😂

2 Likes

To wire something twist the wires together with pliers and use a wire nut. If you can’t afford wire nuts right now, wait bro till u can do it right. You’ll be grateful you did in the end.

Edit: I don’t know anything about wiring drivers for grow lights. I did commercial electrical for 3 years. If I was there I could tell you exactly what to do, but unfortunately I live far away most likely.

3 Likes

I’ll do just that. For now the zmeans are better than having a dark patch around the QB.
Should I cut off the clip connections on the end or find a way to use them?

1 Like

I can wire commercial lights, but never messed with drivers. I just wanted to let you know that.

1 Like

I’d have to see. I’m not a 100 percent sure what you’re talking about… I wire something, cut off the excess and wire nut it.

2 Likes

These things here IDK the name of.

1 Like

Yeah cut that off. It’s not applicable really for what you’re doing I don’t think. Just cut the very ends off. Leave wire to play with. Maybe pull it off even.

2 Likes

It’s clamped over the wire ends. I’ll see if I can pry them off otherwise snip snip

2 Likes

Ok cool. Id pry off if possible so you have more to work with. You might not need it but always better to have too much than not enough.

2 Likes