Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

I found these online. No one has 1.04mm² wire, 17 awg wire, or 17 gauge wire locally. Even if I had a car no place around here for about an hour drive and honestly if I did have a car I’d still save money buying these honestly :sweat_smile:
https://www.graupnerusa.com/SILICON-WIRE-17AWG-_c_259.html

I’m still SOL for the outlet side as I was advised to not use a 18 awg wire to power the meanwell at the local hardware and electrical store. She was nice enough to tell me about a place in Peabody that may have them, but I’m not holding my breath at this point and I’m not walking 5 hours to see if they have it only to walk another 5 hours back empty handed in this cold😅 I just checked and it’s an hour drive to the dark corner of West Peabody from my house. Fuck that. I’ll go Online

1 Like

Now that I got some sleep and more clear headed…

HLG recommends 18-22 awg wire, cable joiner and power cord

So you’ll hook up the boards to each other in series like this with 18-22awg wire (most use 18 as it fits better in the molex plugs)

OR

To connect the driver to the boards you can use electrical tape though for more security (and ease of use), Wago’s

From the driver to the wall, an old outdoor 3 prong extension cord works or you can pick up a replacement power cord…to connect to the ballast, use one of these

To hang, I have used everything from fishing leaders to pipe cleaners so far lol

HLG used to have a kit that included all of these with the hangers that are attached to your single qb120 for like $20 or so though many would source their own parts so I think it was unneeded inventory…I hope you have a better idea of what you need to use them safely and see there is no need to solder anything as that’s what makes these boards ideal… well that and no heat sink required at this voltage/watts, cost as well as, expand-ability if wanted and/or use as is until later on when resources are more available as they do great by themselves :wink:

@Undead-Toker may have a different way of set up for you as many throughout the threads I linked have found various ways with some getting a slap on the wrist due to possible fire hazards with guidance on a more safe way

4 Likes

Nope @MomOnTheRun . the DIY lighting thing is new to me. I just have a decent enough background in electrical/electronics to have a decent idea of how ,or how not to ,do things in general in those areas.

Line voltage side is taken care of once it’s rewired with connector’s using a computer power cable. That cable is probably 14awg and suitable.

@OniTenshu how you do this will depend on the type of connector you use, if wire nuts the orange (they are sized by color.

My helper

Did you decide to go the plug route? Stop worrying about the 17awg, where’s that coming from anyway? Not plumbing dude, won’t leak if it’s not the same size :laughing: Not really sure how to continue until I know for sure what was purchased.

For wire, short term until you order the proper wire since there’s a good chance you won’t get it local without an electronics specialty type place (think commercial not consumer) there is thermostat wire. 18/2 single strand 1 red 1 white wire. Have to be careful stripping the outer insulation off, it’s tight and you have to work slow so you don’t cut into wire.straight down the center. Homer sells it for 19 cents a foot.

Crazy how I have all this stuff on hand huh? Anyway the reason it’s a temporary solution is it’s not the proper wire. This is made for low V circuits like thermostats, doorbells, alarms etc that run at 24VAC and this wire is only rated at 150V and you want something rated at 300V+.

Personally in your situation I would go with 18awg multi-strand, but you’re not me. You would need to tin the ends on the multi to get it to socket into the board and I doubt you can do that. So, look for 18awg single strand, which is probably listed as solid core. then wago it to the driver.

2 Likes

@MomOnTheRun I believe that’s about the only way.

1 Like

There are many wire to wire connectors that people use as well as, power cords which are usually cut from other appliances :wink:

2 Likes

Not plumbing no and ohm’s law is why I’m concerned :sweat_smile: 17 awg is a 1.04mm² wire. It’s non standard and yes it does make a difference in the current to the driver now that I’ve had a chance to mull that over as well.

Either way I got the plugs and as for wires I have plenty of 20 awg wires. If hlg says it’s okay I’ll go with the wire range that they say I can use.

1 Like

Daisy chaining is the only way that makes sense though. This is in my eyes though. I used to be an electrician before I got hurt, and that’s what I would do. And it won’t make a difference if its 17 or 18, but that’s just going by what I know. Its been several years now since I’ve worked. Someone may know something like a lot of specifics I don’t know.

2 Likes

The difference between 17 and 18 is nothing really, if you’re concerned about voltage drop. Also Why I suggested earlier to use the biggest wire that would fit in the board, but I have no idea what gauge that would be.

That wire wuld probably work if it fits and you have enough of it. Multi-strand, would need to be tinned.

2 Likes

Good enough for me. Now I have to find out what wires I’m using for the output :sweat_smile: I don’t even know if I can hook them up yet. I was already on my way home and stopped for a drink to calm my mind. Too many things today :pensive::frowning::grimacing:

2 Likes

That’s where I’ll have difficulty :sweat_smile: I need a new soldering head. Also I have to find where I lost it.

Otherwise I have no idea how to tin them

Those cheap soldering irons aren’t really good for any type of precision work, It’s not hard to tin with an iron. Do you have flux?

Edit: The reason I asked is it’s a lot harder to do without it. Plumbing flux will work, just need to clean it off when done with some alcohol because it is acidic.

1 Like

No I don’t. I lost most of my belongings a long time ago and few remnants remain. The solder, a block of aluminum, my old hobby iron, and my old tool kit that has lost all the pieces around my house.

Edit: I do have pure citric acid, but that’s the closest I have on hand

1 Like

It takes very little but really helps the solder flow quickly into the wire. Do you know someone you could borrow some from? Anyway, why I suggested the single strand and thermostat wire will get you by until you can get a more permanent setup.

2 Likes

I do have a lot of the 20 awg wire I could use. All of not most are just jumper cables basically with connectors as you can see in the pic I posted earlier

2 Likes

20 will work, you’ll have a small V drop but nothing really. I’d still recommend getting the proper 18 awg though when you can.

2 Likes

Oh Now I see! Yes, daisy chaining is the only way to hook up the boards to each other in series or parallel. For 4 lights and this driver, series is safer …I was stuck on the ballast/plug hook up though should have kept in mind over all when responding

Now that the electricians are coming out of the woodwork, I know who to tag if/when this comes up again as my knowledge is very limited :wink:

3 Likes

I haven’t wired the QB yet, but I’ll be figuring it out today. I’ll be out for the night while the babies are asleep.

Here’s today’s pics as I realized with all that’s happened I didn’t get any yesterday.
GSC and Indigo are a little bit light in color.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC Looking light in color and the mycorrhizae are going out of control in her pot here

Indigo definitely seems mildly stressed, but the soil is dry to the touch outside of the bottom inch in contact with the tray

I checked for the water level and the plants will need water tomorrow. The first 2" of soil is dry almost. At 2" I could feel moisture that I was poking at. Should I use a mulch of some kind on top of the soil? It seems mine is good now after ewc, but it’s also drying out the soil like dirt (from the UV light probably) and I’m trying to get the roots to chase the water not stay small😅

I’ll listen to advice on how to deal with this part of my soil. In general until the ewc fully spread throughout my soil it’s still highly hydrophobic when dry.

I have gypsum if anyone thinks I can make use of it in a similar way like Epsom salt. Otherwise it’s just collecting dust and I’ll find something it’s good for😅

2 Likes

@Undead-Toker here’s the driver so far. I’m still waking up while I get my place cleaned up more and do my chores😅

I’d like to hook them up today, but I’m not sure how I’ll get the wires attached properly ATM :sweat_smile: still groggy.

@Brandon7467 what’s your thoughts also? I’ll be waiting until I get the okay before I wire it all up once I have a plan down. That’s 18 awg wire from a monitor cable. My PC cable has multiple points chewed through. I tossed it on a corner one day and forgot how bad condition it was😅

I can splice my heat lamp cord though…

1 Like

If you splice it, I’d use heat shrink on it after it’s secure to make it safer. This id what you should do. Would I do it? Most likely i would just use a wire connector or a yellow or orange wire nut. I’ve never soldered wire because that’s old old school. That wasn’t what I was taught. Although, you can use heat shrink to secure the connection after adding wire connector…

2 Likes

I lowered my lights after seeing dark spots all around and still seeing the small bud on Diana basically unchanged.

Now when should I top my photos? When I asked earlier it wasn’t about Daisey or Diana. LITFA for them now till the end. Zelda, GSC, and indigo are all photos. Zelda is looking like she’s ready for me to try my hand at fimming her. She’s growing nicely now that her soil health is back on track. My earlier pics of Zelda are slightly different from now. Growth is picking up nicely today now that the water in the soil is at the lowest point it’s been the whole grow. When I go out tonight I’ll grab some more distilled water and when it’s time to water I’ll mix it up again at 12g megacrop 6oz of the tea, and 2g Epsom salt or gypsum(depending on what I’m advised to do with that stuff) to 1 gallon of water. That ratio is what is making Zelda and Daisey happy. GSC and indigo seem to want more😅

1 Like