Orca/panda film or ultra white paint?

For a grow room 5x16 already hung and taped with mold resistant drywall. Money isnt a huge factor. It’s more along the lines or convenience and ease of maintaining a clean and successful grow. I am stuck on how to finish this room the best way possible.

What do you think is best and why?

3 Likes

Paint might be cheaper but I have orca and it’s real nice. Easy to clean as well. If you are going to staple it tho, put a strip of white gorilla glue and staple over
that so staples don’t pull through.

4 Likes

How is the durability? And how much of a difference does it make for you? I live in a legal state and my grow is completely in compliance so I dont have to worry about anything. I just dont want to buy the film, go through the hassle of putting it up and hating it only to just paint it anyways

3 Likes

I have a legal grow as well. Difference for me is I made a couple tents in a room and was easier than drywall. Fully sealed and easy to work with. So far find it durable but I got the 6 mil and I believe it to be better reflective than paint.

1 Like

I’m fully legal as well. I use the orca plastic to keep the tents in the dark. Each tent has a nighttime tuck in with the plastic. Just to block the veg tents from leaking light into my flower tents nearby

1 Like

Id say just use white paint,semi gloss interior. Less maintenance in the long run and you won’t be hiding anything you can’t see.
When i first got into growing i went all out with everything i could jam into my room. I’ve come to realize i really didn’t even need half of it and my plants were still just as happy.I spent more time worrying more about the soil instead of a little bit of light from reflection.

3 Likes

Flat white paint will do just as fine IME, but use a quality paint that is washable.

It will be easyer to clean your room, also panda film, mylar or what ever will get stained really fast.
And you will in no time loose the extra reflection, unless your only using RO water for folia sprays.

I folia feed with fish mix once a week, using pH adjusted tap water and that leaves a lot of stains.
The only reason I use Alu reflective material, is for the IR reflection/insulation and nothing else.

Panda film is awesome at blocking light, so for that reason I have in the past used miles of it. Easy to split up rooms, for very little money, with a stud wall and panda film. Very hard to clean tho, without ripping the film, where its stapled to the studs.

3 Likes

I have my flower room drywall painted flat white works well for me, 2 years now and its still nice and white with a few smudged fungus gnat corpses on it lol. I just left it with the primer sealer on it.

1 Like

I have done all of the above mylar, black and white poly film and white paint. Of all of them I like the paint option better like everyone has said it’s easier to maintain and it looks better in the end. I sealed up the basement floor with a floor sealer paint made for concrete floors. I wish I could have kept that place alot of work done. I think for my current garden I have to use white and black film.

Neither. FRP the win!

3 Likes

How much does that run you? I’ve used the reflective insulation before from dupont. A friend who I was growing with brought over a whole truck’s worth one time that worked well for a while.

It’s expensive but it’s Fiberglass-reinforced plastic. You can hit it hard and barely scratch it and you can jet it with water, sludge, or crap and just wipe it right down. It’s what hospitals use. You don’t even need to go all the way up the wall depending on your layout. Tip a 4x8 on its side and run them halfway up the wall

5 Likes

If money is no issue that FRP Jedi mentioned would be wicked!

I would use mold resistant paint to further protect drywall. Then add some panda over top after.

Panda is super easy to put up/take down. Really easy to clean.

2 Likes

Yep, I should add that FRP is better in permanent installations, otherwise a solid coating of BINZ/KillZ and some panda cloth works

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip I would love to have that setup sounds awesome when it comes time to clean up the garden after each cycle.

I’m painting mine here in a few weeks, tearing up the carpet and putting down vinyl too. Found this stuff at lowes real cheap. I’m thinking of buying this from Lowe’s. Any recommendations? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Property-Advantage-Flat-Maintenance-5G-I-E-White-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-640-fl-oz/50404192 toss in 15oz of paintguard and it’ll be good to go.

1 Like