Emergency blankets for reflective

Would those light weight foil like emergency blamkets work to line the inside of a grow areA? I have panda plastic just curious If that would be better?

4 Likes

Yes. Much, much better.

Might depend on the emergency blanket but the emergency blankets I use are semiopaque at best. Looks plenty reflective from the silver shiny side, but looks semitransparent from the other orange side.

The panda poly I use looks crazy bright and reflective on one side, and jet black on the other side.

No comparison between the two in my experiences.

2 Likes

These blankets are foil like on both sides very reflective

2 Likes

From comparing mylar with panda poly, the two seem to be on par with one another. Reflective percentages varying slightly by manufacturer.

Have you held the blankets up to the light to gauge opacity?

Its also worth noting the thickness of each material. The thinner emergency blankets tend to crinkle and make noise when moved, and are easily sucked into oscillating fans.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll stick with my panda! Just a thought since I got the blankets in a car emergency kit

3 Likes

You can also grab some reflective wrapping paper at the dollar store in a pinch!

3 Likes

i know it’s been 20 years or so since i grew my last plant, but when did the inside reflection change from flat white to silver? i’ve always grown in boxes built with wood and not a grow tent, so that may explain it, but i recall that back in the day we used to use flat white paint, not glossy, and avoided mylar or anything foil-like or silver. of course we also used mh and hps lights and not led, so there is that and there may be a good reason for it and i’d like to know what it is.

one more thing while i’m asking questions, we used to estimate yield at about a gram per watt of light, and now i am seeing all sorts of strange measurements. i watched that one doc from ut explain it and if i ever do it again will be using meters as he suggested, but was just wondering in the meantime.

3 Likes

aren’t they sub-post to trap warmth not reflect it ??? I’m looking at Orca one of the best but very expensive

@sfzombie13 that was because back in the day we were afraid of ceases creating concentrated light beams and burning holes in the plants : )
Then they brought out the diamond pattern to combat that ie better light defussion
@hawkman the orca is very nice stuff , a friend gave me a small sample to check out , nice and robust , thick and scrubable lookin
When stapling any maylar etc to walls and frames I was told to place a strip of something over the Mylar and staple it with Mylar as it stops helps against ripping effect on Mylar due to the pulling of negative pressure on metal staple ( hard to put that in words lol )
My walls are painted mat white tho so no experience in that , just random info stored in my head haha
Was someone on here mentioned that tip : )

6 Likes

I used to use them in my closet, and they worked great! However, they were not very durable, and they quickly got gummed up when the plants would brush up against them- which ruined the reflectivity.

I switched over to scrubbable flat white paint and never looked back.

4 Likes

I wish white paint was an option. My walls are paneling and I dont own the house so I’m stuck with alternative.

2 Likes

Mylar does a fairly good job, just be aware that it’s pretty flimsy and doesn’t last for very long.

1 Like

Heavy duty tear proof, light proof and washable growtite mylar £20 for 10mtr flat or £15 10mtr diamond from ebay.

grab a staple gun a bunch of cardboard boxes. staple the boxes over the paneling, tape the seams with masking tape, then paint the cardboard. you can’t even see the holes unless you run your hand across them. they fill easily if you need to cover them up. don’t use too many in the areas where you can feel them and you’ll be fine. i’ve done this several times.

:thinking:. Nicely done @sfzombie that is actually helping with reflectiveness but since I have heat issues hanging panda plastic really kicks up the temps. Thanks though I like that idea.

1 Like

Screw….not glue Sheetrock to the walls and paint flar whit that way if you ever moved unscrew the walls….and take with…

Ya great idea but won’t really work in my case since it’s just a corner. That price range I’ll buy a tent though thanks. This was on 0 budget pretty much.