Organic rat rid

Didn’t really know where to post this. But natural, no posions organicly is how I want to solve this problem. That’s how I grow.
I have some new neighbors . They brought their pets with them. Now I’m see rats around. I have dogs and chickens. Never had rats.
Is there a organic solution to ridding my place of these critters

1 Like

Oh, they have these really cool things to take care of rats that like people too. I think they call them cats…

What kind of space are you talking about? Rats are really smart. So baits and traps only work a few times. The pheromones from cats will make rats just stay away.

10 Likes

Jack Russel terrier or a .22

Dont get much more organic than that.

Doc
:sunglasses:

10 Likes

Hola

O ultrasonic wall plugs work like a charm

Bare

5 Likes

Chickens bring the rats out in short order

7 Likes

Well, @anon93244739 and @SubSoilSelections , since I have a couple Pitbull Terriers, and live in country suburb setting that is Very Populated . Not near enough of land in my fence for the lead to land. Cats and .22’s are not even allowed on my property
My hopes were that some of you fellow organic farmers might of dealt with this problem, and have the cure.
Thank you @Barefrog , I don’t know if it’s organic, but it sounds like it’s worth a try.

3 Likes

I just ordered a pair of these for my basement and garage:
RinneTraps - Flip N Slide Bucket Lid Mouse/Rat Trap

The reviews are good and the concept is solid. You bait the roof of the trapdoor “room” with peanut butter and seeds; and add seed into the bucket for extra attractant.

11 Likes

Now folks also add water to the bucket to make it lethal. I disagree with this unless you are dealing with a full on “Cane Toad” level infestation where there is literally no way to release without them coming back.

5 Likes

This^^ or there are a few diy drown trap instructions on the web

3 Likes

I don’t know what your laws are but you could get a high powered air rifle or c02 powered if you can’t own a .22

Id probably throw out a tray of rat poison and peanut butter or cheese whiz. Just ‘build’ a containment around it,pound in a couple stakes and use chicken wire only allowing a couple small gaps chickens and dogs could not fit through

3 Likes

As a kid I was a crack shot with a sling shot but never aimed to kill. I made up clay shot with dried grass inorperated that would explode on impact when i hit the critter. Scared the shit out of them and no corpses to deal with!

3 Likes

Ive heard of cloves or dryer sheets to keep mice away.

2 Likes

Bullets in my experience work pretty well.

Something like this an option?

4 Likes

1.) Clean up potential places for them to live
2.) Remove food sources
3.) Seal up cracks and holes they can infiltrate
4.) Rat bait

IDK what organic rat treatment is. They spread disease and piss/droppings and ruin your house with their nesting and chewing. Call a pro or do it yourself sooner than later.

9 Likes

Rats mate… 23 days later have up to 12 young then…well you get it. I understand your desire to be organic but if you really want to end this, measures must be immediate and drastic.

9 Likes

I went through this last summer. Place was overrun with rats. Not indoors, but everywhere outside. They’d scurry across my deck at 2pm. I did the traps because it was getting totally out of hand, and they were digging tunnels through my raised beds.
If you want to stay organic, peppermint oil is your friend. They say to mix is with water and spray it…fuck that.
Go full strength.

2 Likes

we use the pvc pipe live trap, as well as a pack of small dogs :wink:
The trap has hauled a number of rats away to the wildlife sanctuary so the owls can feast. The dogs just rip em apart. Yah one is a Jack Russell. I’m talkin’ wood rats.

1 Like

And they can get pregnant again, while ALREADY PREGNANT.

4 Likes

We had cats for that. And you can’t. Don’t know any farmer without barn cats. Sorry.

:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:
Edited to say, the Ex had a water barrel with water in it and a ramp. Food hanging at the top. They just dropped in and downed. It was in his horse barn when we met.

2 Likes