Grey squirrel infestation

The problem: in my area there’s a grey squirrel infestation…I mean they’re everywhere, chewing up everybody’s crash cans, turds all over the place like a Raisinets blimp exploded…and digging in all the flower pots and that’s where my issue comes in. For the past week or two when I come home from work and check my plants I can see that squirrels have rooted through my smartpots putting soil on the ground that I have to sweep up and put back in the pots. Now I’m getting tired of playing out this “Groundhog Day” shit with these squirrels and I’m seriously considering purchasing this👇🏿…its a squirrel killer.

7 Likes

I’ve seen those.

We have a very large population of squirrels and chipmunks that do a lot of damage. The past year, we’ve used have-a-heart traps to catch and release (technically not legal around these parts). Several dozen relocated last summer. The population is under control and we don’t really have problems with damage any longer. As an alternative.

It’s a never-ending cycle, more squirrels will move in as you remove them.

7 Likes

I had 1, or 2, that lived in my roof. Chewed there way right inside.
It was the most annoying thing I have experienced, especially since they were above my bedroom.
Noisy little bastards and they spooked my cats.
Mine were the evil black ones.
I caught them, and took care of them to insure they wouldn’t waltz there way back in my roof.
I still think they are interesting animals, but go make your home somewhere else please.

7 Likes

Rats ate my cherry tomatoes one year. Every single cherry tomato. Fuckers.

Good luck.

4 Likes

I have blueberries in big pots. The squirrels get in there and seriously like, run laps around it, wreck it all up.
I put boat loads of dollar store chili flakes in there. They learn, and stop showing up. I have to reteach them from time to time.

4 Likes

That or just trapping and relocating them sounds better than this … :disappointed:

The A18 trap is operated by small high pressure CO2 cylinders. So it is similar to an air pistol but instead of a pellet it fires a captive bolt rather like a slaughterhouse gun. The squirrel receives a heavy blow to the head which kills it cleanly and it drops from the trap to the ground. The trap then automatically resets itself and is ready for the next squirrel to come along. The CO2 cylinder is capable of firing the trap 18 times before it needs to be replaced.

9 Likes

DEM around here tells you to drown them :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

We have similar things for mice in high traffic areas at the farm… Never seen it get one and it’s expensive…

1 Like

I have tonnes too but deter them with small animal deterrant which is spiked plastic that hurts thir feet. I put this in my outdoor pots around the plant for digging; and around my planters where they kept knocking down pots.

11 Likes

I like that way better than the head spike trap, that mf sounds brutal :joy:

7 Likes

Additionally we keep active bird feeders so the focus on there.

2 Likes

Gotta get that flaming hot bird seed lol apparently birds can’t taste hot shit but squirrels can so someone out a market on it lol

6 Likes

I put up chili flavored suet over the winter.
So the squirrels attack my crabapple tree instead haha.

3 Likes

Try giving yourself a haircut in the back yard. The scattered hair is supposed to repel all kinds of animals including rodents.

4 Likes

Really, I got to check into that. Sounds like a game changer. Might help keep the racoons that always raid my feeders at bay too. Thanks man, off to look for the rabbit hole.

5 Likes

I actually got a haircut in the backyard a few weeks ago. No report on rodent activity.

6 Likes

Oh man, @toastyjakes to the rescue. Look at that. Birds don’t react to capsaicin the way mammals do so it does them no harm . I did not know that, time to change the feeders to deter the unwanted guests. That’s Toast.

12 Likes

I hear ya. Our neighborhood is overrun with them. Like, there’s 8 squirrels living in every yard, competing for food, and wrecking everything.
I’m all for letting nature do it’s thing, and not hurting it…
But once the squirrels found their way into my house… they met the pellet gun. Sorry little dudes. :cry:
Then we called the tree company to trim back the maples so they couldn’t jump to the roof anymore.

I support your decision to exterminate them.

2 Likes

That spray on cayenne pepper spray might work for veg.

1 Like

Grow roses, raspberry bushes, nettles, … there’s many thorned and prickly plants you can start growing that produce not only beautiful flowers but also fruits. Rose petals are edible, and you can sprinkle them in the bath.

Nettles are extremely healthy and are great in soup and tea.
Being stung by them, apparently injects you with serotonin (anti-depressant) and an array of other beneficial compounds.
Rub some coconut oil to get rid of the itch and there you have a very powerful immunesystem boost.

The squirrels won’t fuck around with those. It’s a win-win. :+1:

4 Likes