Original breeders?

So who owns rare dankness is my question now lol.

Seedfinder has a great way of organizing and showing genetics but they are really bad about listing genetics accurately.
They have two or three strains I submitted listed incorrectly.
They were given all the details when I submitted them and I have notified them twice sense then and it has not been corrected.
I see strains on there where the description clearly doesn’t match what is shown.
I can’t edit my own entries and can’t seem to get anybody there to.
I wouldn’t trust what they show unfortunately.

10 Likes

Scott reach is the owner of rare dankness.

3 Likes

true dat!
thats why I mention the info is only as accurate as the person inputting the info.
A search engine works to track down sources of gear, sometimes lol

3 Likes

being from sf, this is the most plausible explanation I ever heard for the lineage of girl scout cookies.

The strain started as accidental herm pollinations from hid light burn in a large scale bay area commercial grow. Each time a plant hermed, they would grow out the seeds from the adjacent plants for a cheap crop of guaranteed females.
They started with a bay area cherry pie clone seeded with herm pollen from their cut of durban poison. this generation was called durban pie.
from that seed stock, they selected a unique durban pie mutant which was briefly circulated as a clone.
that cut was then pollinated by an og female. (The forum cut was a bagseed grown from this generation of seeds.)
Then this generation of seeds was hit by pollen from the same og cut as the previous generation, like a back crossed s1.
That stock produced the classic thin mint girl scout cookies cut.

it’s unclear whether berner was actually involved in the grows up to this point, or if he was just the connect, but he coined the name girl scout cookies.

Girl scout cookies became popular in the local cannabis scene.
Berner supplied a beloved bay area rapper named Jacka, who put berner on several albums called drought season 1 and 2. this gave berner a platform to promote cookies.
word of mouth about cookies makes it to other states.

The cookies fam company sprung up later as berner’s marketing and sales outlet for merch and legalized marijuana.

10 Likes

Kinda jives w what you said…

8 Likes

definitely matches up, cool to hear that from another source. I originally heard this from an old school Fillmore grower who I trust.

4 Likes

Ok so I was wondering this in conjunction with some common things going on in the legal industry that worry me. Here is a company https://calyxpeak.com/
That owns josh d’s company with substantial reach in legal states. Now we all know he is not the only one sponsored now, but the reason I raise this concern. My state and some others as of recent, state you must buy seeds in state in order to cultivate. Which doesn’t mean much now. But come fed legalization it will, why? Because you can trademark them, and with a big backer, it is easy to legitimize the back story and proof. That’s truely why I’m hunting down the originals, to preserve somewhere in my head before the deluge comes. My guess is that a lot of these originals will be coined by others for profit on a legal large scale. Shane really. But I’m wondering what safe guards can be had now a days :frowning: and what does trademark mean in conjunction with a genome project, who owns the originals get to take the gear, be it off spring or what not, due to legal reasons, thus we lose the true people behind this. Not trying to say anyone in particular will do this either. Just raising the questions.

5 Likes

Well on its way. Once legalization happened this was a guarantee. It’s the same as anything. If you collect and hold it for long enough stored properly 30 years from obtaining it you can take advantage of some 35 - 45 year olds nostalgia :joy::joy:

4 Likes

There has already been a broad utility patent granted that would take large amounts of long existing varieties out of public use if it were enforceable. We need to keep, characterize, and DOCUMENT our existing germplasm to prevent unwarranted patents. Trademarks and backstories are even more nebulous, but I’d say let’s prioritize the germplasm and hope people see through the culture vultures.

This is an interesting discussion about patents: https://www.shapingfire.com/podcast-feed/detailing-the-united-cannabis-amp-biotech-llc-cannabis-patents-and-what-comes-next-with-dale-hunt-phd-jd

Strain origins can be a black hole. It can be fun to try to figure out, but there is so much bullshit in the Cannabis, industry you can’t trust most sources.

I love how seedfinder lists their family trees. But it has a lot of known incorrect info.

Lee Roy is Rare Dankness, Triangle kush x RD#2

Golden Lemons is DNA genetics, Koser Kush x Lemon Skunk

4 Likes

Seedfinder definitely has accuracy issues, I entered two strains both with the same male but different females and they listed the genetics completely wrong. I have contacted them a couple times and can’t seem to get it fixed . I’m considering listing it again with ( correct lineage) listed after the strain name,maybe that will get there attention. Put right in the description that it is relisted to correct there error.

5 Likes

How about grape ape? That seems to be a slippery slope.

1 Like

There are two Blackwaters by Cali Connection. The one they sell now is a Fem version. The Fem seeds are Mendo Purps x Tahoe OG S1. The older discontinued Reg seeds are Mendo Purps x SFV OG Kush IBL Male.

I have a cut from the discontinued Regs. This is her:

23 Likes

Terp profile more grapes :grapes:?

Down for sending cuts?

2 Likes

Dope. How does she flower out time wise?

1 Like

Of the nearly 150 varieties offered for sale by Dutch seed companies in 2000, 80 percent of them contain germ plasm that first came to the Netherlands prior to 1985. Most of the seed companies have continued to reshuffle the heavily stacked deck of original North American germ plasm, and since the 1980s few companies have introduced anything new. The perpetuation of monotony has been punctuated, only infrequently, by new introductions from North America or traditional marijuana- producing nations. Most seed companies have simply recombined founding cultivars from which breeders selected star clones to represent their seed companies in competitions. What goes around, comes around!

9 Likes

Came across a interesting post about the triangle kush. Anyone have the story?

1 Like

Triangle Kush is presently accepted as the mother of all OG Kush cuts. Shows as the same clone as Josh D’s in The Galaxy, but I believe they have incomplete data sets and kind of a wonky way of tracking familial relations.

Anyway, a guy surfaced on IG a couple years ago (origins_tk_og) and the most current backstory is that he was growing a room full of a cut from the Northwest called “Emerald Triangle” while also trialing some seeds they brought back from Nevil. They had some Hindu Kush (Kush4 x NL2) going and one hermed on the ET crop. Alec Anderson found a bean in one of his sacks and popped it, that cut is what became the “Triangle Kush” in Florida and soon thereafter “OG Kush” in California. Many other cuts spawned from either S1 bag-seed, herm feminized crosses (both intentional and unintentional) or deliberate out-crosses. Hence the 81-some-odd “OG Kush” cuts in circulation. Some are the same thing renamed, others are hybrids.

That’s the story, anyway. :man_shrugging:t2:

14 Likes

ive seen a few rare Dankness vids kicking around on You Tube. Just punch in Scot Reach + Rare Dankness. prettty informative vid.
Ghost Train Haze is one Ive had muh eye on. I believe its an OG Kush (ghost cut) X’d with Trainwreck and X’d with Haze. Not 100% sure on how it lays out. Im pretty sure its Rare Dankness strain?

3 Likes