Hottest strain

2 Likes

Honestly this notion that OG came from florida is a relatively new narrative.
10 years ago people used to say it came from LA.

In the 00’s when OG was really big business as a desirable cash crop, people buying it in other states were hyped to get something from california.

What everybody knew back then was correct, I don’t know why people expect a revelation 30 years later.

When someone comes out of the blue with the “true” story and it completely contradicts the general wisdom and consensus up to that point, it’s probably bs. But the internet loves a story. And for some reason, people will believe a simple answer over a complicated truth.

Look it up here on overgrow and you will find some actual information on the topic. Its not worth going into it in this hype thread.

Like I said, the places that OG showed up makes perfect sense based on the big regional connections at the time. OG ended up in all the places that outdoor emerald triangle black market bud was being shipped out and moved on the street as top grade.

Where do you think the genetics came from in LA? they were buying outdoor bud from emerald triangle which was then being sold on the street in LA.

4 Likes

I’m really not on the hype train clearly…only cookies I know Is cookies and milk I have before Bed every night lol!!

Not joking

Is it Girl Scout cookies? girl guide cookies? Lol

I was on hiatus from 2009-2020 . . . .i see ALOT of talk of GSC ? Maybe GG4? Ehhhh

Not on the occult IG… must me missing out. I won’t be searching anything IG. If i see it on OG , il look at it and read all about it…just can’t get on that IG TRAIN …

5 Likes

I’ve never grown any but those crosses @SamwellBB produces look hot enough to combust on their own, no flame required

3 Likes

I have heard Girl Scout cookies described as a Durban x OG Kush cross that basically exploded due to marketing. The seedfinder page for it lists it as a South Florida OG Kush x (Durban Poison x Chemdawg) with some extra steps in there that aren’t terribly important.

The important thing is that it exists, it’s all over the place and has been crossed into a ton of modern cultivars. It’s a fine enough strain, but as people have bemoaned in this thread, it can be frustrating to see so much hype surrounding what are essentially just new takes on different Girl Scout Cookies crosses. As near as I can tell, the vast majority of that is due to marketing by this dude Berner.

Berner’s a rapper who runs a chain of expensive-ass dispensaries called cookies, titled after the strain, and as a rule of thumb pretty much anything sold by cookies is some hype strain, probably the biggest of their more recent offerings is Runtz as someone mentioned above.

Allegedly the story is that Berner or someone he knew bred GSC. I also found this origin story originally posted on the conoisseur genetics facebook in 2014 that provides the following alternative explanation. I don’t intend to present it as fact, but it’s another point of context. As you saw with OG Kush it can frequently be hard to pull fact from fiction. Here’s the story:

G.S.C. is C.P.K.

I only know of six people who KNOW the real story. Me, my wife, the two drivers, Berner and Jigga.

St. George (not his real name) is a killer breeder north of Laytonville. He crossed Cherry Pie with Chemdawg and called it CherryPieKush. It had a couple phenos, I settled on what is known as cookies. He gave it too a few of us and asked us not to call it Cherry Pie Kush yet because it was not stable and threw a few seeds. When the driver reached Berners he asked Berner to not call it CPK, Berner was eating actual girl scout cookies when it arrived and said it tasted like girl scout cookies. The day it showed up he named it and marketed it as girlscoutcookies. If you can find it in youtube comments you will see that when I quized Jigga he admits (We call that pre-cookies). Im sure they have front crossed it.

But as far as them saying that they created the strain, thats bullshit. They need to give at least Chemdawg his credit even if St. George wants to remain silent. Early in life it smells like lemon pledge (thin mints?) but if you wait till it is ready the smell changes to the cherry pie smell

3 Likes

someone must have changed that recently on seed finder. They never mentioned chemdawg, that’s completely incorrect. Someone’s pulling some wikipedia troll shit.

here is the actual quote that they have edited

berner called the bud from that drop girl scout cookies, and marked it down because it was seeded. it sold like hotcakes, the drop sold out in one or two days which was really unusual in the medical community at that time. It was a much smaller community before rec so shit didn’t just sell out every day, it seemed like a big deal to people.

Based on the sales and the hype, they grew out the herm seeds knowing they would all be female.

Those herm offspring were hit by other local cuts in the grow that were herming from hps light burn in an overcrowded grow room. There were 3 generations of herm pollination.

All of it was completely random with no thought toward a long term plan. They just kept growing out generations of herms to keep the branding going and the drops flowing, and eventually they realized they had to select a cut for the long term.

I have written out the full genetics on here. Just check out the thread from that link.

We used to write the genetics as (cherry pie) x durban x og x og.

The order of the breeding process isn’t very important anyway as it was all accidental / random. It’s not clear when berner actually got involved in the growing and breeding.

4 Likes

I’ve covered this all before so here are my posts on the topic

actual history of berner

Berner would never have had a platform to market girl scout cookies, if it wasn’t for Jacka.
Jacka (rip) was a beloved rapper, artist, and philosopher, and the nephew of Huey P. Newton. Berner was Jacka’s weed man, and Jacka put him on his Drought Season album in 2008.

In my opinion, Berner owes everything he has to Jacka.

5 Likes

history of the marketing, and again berner doesn’t deserve as much credit as he takes.

3 Likes

Preach it brother!!

3 Likes

For me ‘’‘SnowLotus’’’ bodhi seeds
Best weed of the year

4 Likes

All the Good chunky thick looking buds around me have cookies in it.All of it tastes the same and looks the same.All boring with almost the same high.Cookies was a bag appeal strain to me and always will be.It looks good in a bag no real smell and every bodies weed smells the same.With how Cookie fam promoted it like a rap video like cookies was the best thing and always was the best was enough for me when I seen that shit.I’ll take some shit that looks like cabbage that’s been run over by a tractor that stinks up my entire house over that fluff and buff cannaganster weed anytime.Cookies turned weed from a great jam band into bubblegum music.I seen the guy who bred cookies bragging about what was in it to someone and he wouldn’t just say what the parent were he just kept trying to rap this hype.When I saw that I was like is this how all the growers in Cali are?This guy was trying to do like a rap battle to brag about his shit.Cookies could disappear tomorrow and it would be for the better.It’s all the same to me just bring back the fucking skunk someone anyone please save us.

4 Likes

I’m gonna have to hunt this down!

1 Like

Hip hop culture, all hype.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, I had just pieced together stuff I had been told and read, and it seems like the details vary in the retelling but the consistent thing is that it’s some seeded weed, likely cherry pie kush, that someone else brought to Berner that happened to be in the right place at the right time and got pushed into the massively overhyped strain it is today, which has been outcrossed far more than it merits.

2 Likes

No problem, my old timer friend could be wrong, hype strains end up being based on marketing anyways, but I thought I would pass it along because it’s what I heard from someone who could reasonably know.

Hot as far as popularity. Get on Instagram or Google strain of the year. Ask leafly .
The answers will be based on whoever is supporting the site. Or whatever group that is trying to get you to spend your hard earned with them.
I recommend smoking said bud before jumping off the deep end just because someone else says it’s good. It very well may be good to them, yet still suck to you.

1 Like

the skunk hype is def coming back, everyone wants that pepe le pew

1 Like

Thank you very much for that introduction

I really do appreciate that .

Some great insight into the hype industry and marketing behind it all.

It was a pleasure reading your post.

Until the next one!

1 Like

They keep saying it has a chitral kush and Durban poison in it.By they I mean a couple keyboard warriors so take it with a grain of salt on the chitral but the Durban is probably right

1 Like

I’ve been hearing about a :skunk: seed run earlier I caught in a conversation I was participating in awhile back.I have a near and dear love for that cultivars and boy do I miss it.I haven’t smelt that smell in a long time.All the weed now has this faint almost cat piss BO smell to it and it don’t remind me what weed used to be.It’s all in this generic buzz package that don’t even last long for most of them.I had one 3.5 gram sungrown California White runtz pack that was gassy that one lasted awhile like 3 4 hour buzz that wasn’t too bad.Not as good as skunk to me that one hit my switch for some reason.

1 Like