Out Of The Box....What say you?

I have never heard of this before, and wonder if it could work for outdoor plants?

Air layering: Air layering is used to propagate some indoor plants with thick stems, or to rejuvenate them when they become leggy. Slit the stem just below a node. Pry the slit open with a toothpick. Surround the wound with wet unmilled sphagnum moss. Wrap plastic or foil around the sphagnum moss and tie in place. When roots pervade the moss, cut the plant off below the root ball. Examples: dumbcane, rubber tree.
illustration showing air layering techniques illustration showing air layering techniques

illustration showing simple layeringSimple layering: Bend the stem to the ground. Cover part of it with soil, leaving the last 6 to 12 inches exposed. Bend the tip into a vertical position and stake in place. The sharp bend will often induce rooting, but wounding the lower side of the branch or loosening the bark by twisting the stem may help. Examples: rhododendron, honeysuckle.

Here’s the pics of what they are talking about :

Link to the source I got this from : Plant Propagation - Cooperative Extension: Garden and Yard - University of Maine Cooperative Extension

I would personally add rooting hormone to the mix…

Regards,

K.

6 Likes

Has anyone used this?

I know one person, who knew a guy haha…They said he said it worked very well…I plan on giving it a whirl one day soon…

Regards,

K.

3 Likes

I know a grower from another forum who uses this technique for stealth grows on his garden. He pegs the branches down on the ground and let’s them root up. Another grower from Russia, does vertical scrogs and does the same thing in a circular trough bed.

3 Likes

air-layering is most useful for perennials, IME.

it’s a nice way to clone landscaping plants.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I used that technique with many of my guerrilla plots in the NE US decades ago.
It works very well. I would slowly bend the plant over in stages so it would parallel the ground.
Then simply stake them down so that the stem touches the soil. After a while the plant sends out roots which anchor it to earth. In essence creating a ground vine bristling with colas shooting upwards. This renders the plant virtually unrecognizable as cannabis (from a little distance)…can’t be spotted easily from a helicopter or nosy neighbors.

9 Likes

Mister Ito devised a system years ago where you get a 7 day timer and you make each day 21 hours 39 minutes (IIRC) and each night 12 hours, or each night 12:39 and each day 21 hours.

Gives you vastly more light than the extra time it takes to finish. Something like 80% more light in 40% more time.

Just throwing it out there in a wacky thread.

5 Likes

Getting a bit off topic, but I was talking to a guy in India last year, he grows the local land race outside, it gets to about 10 ft tall. Its illegal there, so he digs a big hole 8 ft deep and 10x10 ft and grows them in there, you only see the top ft or so of plant lol.

5 Likes

I could see that working for outdoor, in an area with short ground cover.

K.

2 Likes

I thought my outdoor scrog performed pretty well for stealth last year doing it again this year when the damn snow quotes flying! Lol

3 Likes