Outdoor organic hydro

There’s the same pepper plant from earlier in the year… like February or something. We start them early and they go out to the greenhouse with peppers on them already. The organic farm is a well oiled machine… unless hail or squirrels get in there hah hah. And eat all the plums.

3 Likes

yes, humans will be surprised that I’m not some kind of belief system organic grower. Biased against organics or chemicals or something bizarre. My bias is actually against poison. I’m pretty easy to figure out, that way.

6 Likes

I prepped a new row with some dwarf potatoes. This one I put compost on top and some alfalfa and bone meal. I’ll give that some water to break up the pellets. I can see the nutty little beetles scuttling in it already! They love rotting garbage even if it’s bone meal and egg shells. Each little critter kind of prefers a little something something. Flies love the blood meal! Chipmunks hate blood meal! The chipmunks want to plant their crops and dig ours up and eat them. Blood meal scares them off so we’re not growing wheat grass.

3 Likes

cover the spinach or else the leaf miners will have their way. Also the cabbages, keep the loopers off.

flies and maggots love decomposing junk. This is a mixture of alfalfa and blood meal. yum! Oh to be a maggot in the garden.

also, sulfur killed the fucking powdery mildew. One and done, it’s outta there. You can see some sulfur on the lower leaves. I forgot I use the sulfur like that as well. It’s a multi purpose material! fuuuuck yah! Flaming sulfur straight from the bowels of hell :smiley:

9 Likes

yah in terms of things like the powdery mildew… replicating pathogen. Easily destroyed. Only if you understand where it’s coming from though. After all the mildew colonies I’ve terminated on the plants… that my mom bought. I think she’s going to stop doing that. So, I’m ready to finish off the mildew once and for all. Each year… it’s brought in on some host plants from the store. ok well, the last 5 years anyways. First it’s gerbera dasies, then dahlias, then petunias. All mildew from the store which then transfers to the plants in the big greenhouse. Then I spray the plants with sulfur. Then I have to spend the spring decontaminating the entire area with bleach, only to have it brought back in. A vicious cycle! Spray all downed plant material with bleach until it’s like a swimming pool in there. Once the cycle is broken, it’ll go back to normal. I won’t have to use the sulfur to decontaminate plants! Only to lower the PH.

3 Likes

Nice setup you got there Joe.
:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s the ol’ family farm! Inputs are at record lows but harvest weights are up! The materials I put in, cost a fraction of something you buy in a bottle for the same results. Some of it is just recycled garbage after all mixed with trimmings from my grow. You can see the waste I used to make bubble hash on the potatoes :smiley:

3 Likes

So, here’s how I describe the organic method to newbs. It’s like a sourdough starter, you get it pumping and it does take a bit, but afterwards you just keep it going. If you run out of materials, it takes a while for the colony to really die back, so add more asap to keep things going. It’s a pretty good comparison because they are both using a fungus. Don’t let it dry out either. Hydration is important to the colonies of symbiotes. Mummified plant material doesn’t break down. Bugs need oxygen dissolved in water to live. Like worms and stuff. Fungus doesn’t grow on something dried out. You see what I’m getting at.

4 Likes

here’s my organic auto plant. I sprayed it with BTK as well, it’s a SCORCHED EARTH policy. Finish off the bugs early in the season, but I will keep spraying the peppers for earwigs. Saucy little fucks. I ditched the spider mite experiment, it ran it’s course. The things I learned…holy shit.

7 Likes

Finally one plant that looks familiar … frech|nullxnull

5 Likes

What are your spiders eating?
This is a really nice thread. Super nice, with great photos and clear explanations. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

2 Likes

They are definitely feasting on the gnats from the grapefruit and grape plants. The temps have spiked here in southern B.C., so the plants are really growing! Heatwave warning!!! 40C!

2 Likes

It’s hotter than flaming sulfur from hell, that’s for sure. I wonder if it’s gonna hit 50C in the greenhouse today? Oh, it’s coming. I can feel it in the air! I’m on moisture patrol today, lucky the drip systems are in prime shape. 15min in the greenhouse and 30min outside… might have to double that today.

10 Likes

I really like what you have going on truly I have always been into different ag methods very cool sir love the green house as well

3 Likes

Oh yeah, brother, this is a super nice setup. I like how everything is nice and spaced out so you have room to walk, work, and think. It’s not too crowded in there with too many plants, and room for your tools like pots, jugs, boxes, etc. Look at those pumpkin leaves looking like elephant ears colocasia.

4 Likes

By the end of the season it’ll be jam packed in there! It’s been 50C in the greenhouse now, and a few of the flowers on the rack got crisped. All the rest of the crap is doing fine though, I can feel the weight of the water in those rubbermaids! Might turn the drip on today, because the larger plants are really sucking up moisture. I thought I was going to die from the heat in there, but the plants had only some minor heat stress. Mostly the tomatoes.

2 Likes

Nice greenhouse brother. I’m would like to build one like it someday.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Too bad organic cultivation can’t grow shit…err wait a second. :wink:
In reality, the productivity increased when I changed up to classic organics.

1 Like

The downside of injecting fertilizer was the fact it would run out, then you were never really sure if it needed more or has enough. Or was it too much?? You can look at the organic materials and judge for yourself if they have already decomposed. Then I just dump some more alfalfa on there. Couple bags of that crap is pretty cheap. Toss more organics in, rinse and repeat.

3 Likes