PatHealy's Drip Irrigation Setup

Shit I would think so at 1200gph. If I held this up to a garden hose this has way more pressure and flow. I know most when doing that many drippers would do zones of drippers. But I think that pump would cover all 60

2 Likes

Awesome!! I’ll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!! When I put a garden hose on it with no sprayer or anything, it empties a five gallon bucket quickly. Would be nice to not buy another pump for sure. I think I have a big Hygger somewhere too, but I like how the Little Giant and those types can empty the res way down.

2 Likes

Idk if your restricted by height but when i did mine i put my plants up on a short table and the reservoir on the floor, that way it always drains back to the reservoir when the pump was off. Hope that helps, if you cant you’ll need a check valve.

3 Likes

Thanks! The drippers I’ll use have anti-siphon features and I’m throwing an air bleed/check valve deal on there too. I don’t want to spend the money on a sixty or so gallon res that’s flat and stuff either. Garbage cans and rain barrels are a lot cheaper.

3 Likes

Yeah, those pumps (and my system) are for pressurized setups, where water is delivered on demand by electronically opening a water valve. There’s really no benefit for a non pressurized system.

Just remember as you choose your pump you’ll be pushing against pressure compensating drippers, so gph is really not super important. 100 drippers at .5gph and you are only pushing 50 gallons an hour. So high flow isn’t the goal. But constant output across all of your drippers - requires good pressure. The advertised lift will probably give you a good indication of the overall pressure.

I’d also recommend that @PatHealy comes up with a good system for removing runoff. That’s a major difference between a hands off system and one you are dealing with daily.

1 Like

I’ve used drip irrigation for years. Just wanted to know about the tubing or PVC, the siphoning, and pump need for equal distribution. I’ll just keep vacuuming it up for now. Then, I’ll grab those bucket company deals and have it all pumped to a tote.

1 Like

Ah sorry to go all basic on you …. Hopefully it helps someone.

I built my last system using the Hydro Rain manifolds and system. Not too expensive and easy peasy and they sell them for both pvc and flex line. Have fun!

1 Like

If they all drain to a single location/hose. This is a good/cheap option(size accordingly).
Little Giant VCMA-15UL 115 Volt, 65 GPH, 1/50 HP Automatic Condensate Removal Pump (no safety switch), Black/White, 554401 https://a.co/d/9l5SISf
Just make sure your not getting more runoff than the pump can handle. I use this for my dehumidifiers. The built in pumps are slower than anything I’ve seen. 2gal in about 30 minutes. Haha.

1 Like

Yeah, takes too much water build up on the floor of the tent until it will pump out. 4’x4’ trays are too expensive these days and all of mine are IDs not ODs. Those Bucket Company deals make it easy. Eight of the larger ones will cover most of the tent and I can put at least four plants on each tray. Or just put multiple cuts in one larger pot on each tray.

1 Like

I used rubber made tubs, as they where still large and low laying, and some what spread out. The storage bin style. Then i use the plastic identifier at the back of the farmer almanac to make sure the tub i am buying is food safe. You would be surprised most of the tubs are made from a food safe plastic. This way the plastic doesnt leach into your water.

3 Likes

Yeah, they just start bowing and looking sketchy to me when putting 50+ gallons in them. I don’t want 50+ gallons of solution flooding an upstairs bedroom in my house.

1 Like

What’s the deal with sprayers and stuff? I’ve always just dripped it out of a line right onto the surface, but now I see all of these misters and stuff. I’d just like a stake that secures the dripper line in place. Any options for that or are the mister deals better? Do misters still work at .5 gph? Thanks for any help!!

Edit: Found the stakes I was looking for. If misters are better, let me know.

When I ran drip I made a manifold with copper line and ordinary 1/2 inch valves to each row,no clog and easy to regulate and blow out,I also put a nylon stocking around the pump to keep it clean.

1 Like

Nice! I want to use NetaFim drippers though. Like the flexibility of them. Can run one in small pots and have forty or so plants flowering out, or just put four in each pot and run eight to twelve plants. I have a bunch of those drip ring deals in a tote in the garage, but I never really liked them.

1 Like

I’ll order everything soon and then set it up and see if my pump has enough giddy up to handle it. If not, I’ll buy a new pump. I’ll post a pic in here when I set it up.

2 Likes

When it was illegal and I grew for production I did recirculating drip on ebb and flow tables and abs plastic drain pipes with elbows and tees to a common drain as a unit . I cut holes in the pipes for the plants,no medium other than 1 inch rockwool cubes i used when cloning and ran string to secure them all.

1 Like

Cool! Not pertinent to this at all, but right on.

Not pertinent to a drip irrigation thread? Why not?

It’s not a thread about drip irrigation for everyone to just randomly chime in about drip irrigation. Thought it was all laid out pretty clear in the first post. But, cool story about your “production” runs and stuff. We all know you ran for “production” like an outlaw when it was illegal though now, cool stuff.

Hi PatHealy, updated the thread title to help clarify the intent of the OP.

1 Like