Peat or fabric pots?

I’d like to get real life experience from people using peat pots and fabric pots to directly transplant into the ground. Which ones are better at allowing the roots to penetrate it and spread out into the surrouns?

1 Like

I have zero experience with peat pots, but the fabric pots I used did not let any roots through at all. I have seen pics of other people with fabric pots that lets lots of roots through, so I think it will depend on the brand. I got mine from Home Depot.

1 Like

I have up-potted a fabric pot by putting it in a larger one. The fine roots definitely grew through it, but not the tap root.

2 Likes

You could probably use a box cutter or razor knife to cut some slits in the fabric before putting it in the ground.

1 Like

I used peat to transplant in my veggie garden and it took noticibly longer for the tomatoes to take. Even after harvest pulling them up, the peat was largely intact and you could tell the plant was struggling to get through it.
No experience with burying the fabric but with my fruit trees I can tell ya burlap works fine

3 Likes

My plan was to run a bunch of auto’s guerrilla style so they’d be done before the flying monkeys come back around. I was hoping to start then in 4" peat pots or 1 gallon fabric pots and save some work by just planting the whole container. If all goes well I’d be reusing the spot again, either for more auto’s or next year.

From the sound of it, I’d be better off digging holes and transplanting the usual way.

2 Likes

You bet it does.

They’ll run right through it.

1 Like

i’ve used coco pots and planted the pot while up potting, worked great. my no name fabric pots all have roots growing out of the bottom because the catch trays are just smaller than the pots so theyre sitting on top of them instead of in

2 Likes

same exact experience here, I don’t like using peat pots, there is no reason for them. If you need to move the plant around or transport outside of its plastic container just wrap the rootball in burlap.

2 Likes

https://www.livescience.com/2331-roots-grow.html

Will also prevent them from passing through a tightly woven fabric pot, or a peat pot that doesn’t easily break down.

3 Likes

Remove plants from pots and plant directly into ground. Dig larger hole than need conditioning the soil in hole and remove plants from pot put directly into hole. Your results will be way better with no restrictions on roots and new aerated soil.
My thoughts

2 Likes

I’ve been a huge fan of the paper cups for starts. By the time they are ready to transplant, it’s very simple to rip the seam and gently remove the root ball without disturbing it.

One thing I read about autos was once the tap root can’t go any further, the plant stops growing vertically. This is one reason auto breeders suggest starting the plant in its final container.

6 Likes

I do not use peat pots for any of my plants any longer. I tried them many years ago, thinking that they may be more convenient. However, I noticed that the roots of all plants were impeded by the pots.
Even in the ground, in outdoor plots, the peat does not degrade rapidly enough for me. Taking the plants out of the container is far preferable.
I have never used fabric containers of any type.
But, I use Jiffy 7 pellets for cloning or starting non-cannabis seeds. I always gently remove the fine mesh from each pellet before transplanting. Even that delicate mesh restricts the little roots more than I like.

4 Likes

I agree Pete pots are not the things for Cananbis Fabric 110%

I opted to just dig out a bed. Gonna try doing a couple 1x8 beds in a wooded hillside. I figure it should give the plants enough space width wise so they are strong enough to go thru my rocky ass soil.

My wife has and will as needed sew, grow bags from weed stop fabric and nylon thread. I don’t grow in the ground. My plants air prune themselves (they will grow up to the edge of the fabric then dead-end off and shot off from a micro root back down the root before the dead-end of said root. Pretty neat how it works, to me, anyhow.

regards,

mike28086

2 Likes