Pest management routines

hah i’d like to think it was skill, i spent a good 15 seconds lining it up before i fired :joy: it was twitching and trying to back itself off the nail for the rest of the day

3 Likes

I hope you shouted “Nailed it!” after that exceptional marksmanship.

/dadjoke

@99PerCent Thanks for tips on the compost. I don’t know if I’d ever take something from outside into my indoor grow, but I do want to go all organic for my outdoor grow next year. I usually burn all my waste including roots. I do however, reuse my dirt from each grow in my yard and flower beds and I’m sure there’s good biology in it because my flowers and roses are beautiful every year.

For inside it’s been soilless mix for a long time, but I’m tempted to go Ebb&Flow or DWC after all this. I’m sick of dealing with all the problems that come with growing in dirt. I’d like a new set of problems with hydro lol.

1 Like

Worm bin, right next to plants in veg!

This is also the home for the predatory mites. Fungus gnats are not completely gone, but never seem to get out of control.

3 Likes

Things seem okay today, certainly not worse. The battle seems to be won but the war is ongoing. Cinnamon oil should be ready for tomorrow nights treatment.

3 Likes

i want to go ebb and flow with coco but the few tables i saw locally were expensive. guess it’d be cheaper to build one

are you a dad named lucy ?

2 Likes

You already have the pump!

Tables at the shop are $80CAD here. Expensive but I don’t know if I can build a better one for cheaper.

My room is quite short too I’d have to switch 12/12 a week or two earlier for ebb and flow, but the ease of maintenance would be great.

DWC just seems like it would be too much maintenance for a 9 plant operation. Maybe rdwc but at that point it’s basically a glorified NFT system.

And as for Lucy, it’s an in memoriam… I am a dad though!

2 Likes

Day 9, problem seems alot better today, can’t find anything that looks affected, noticing alot of small flying insects in the room now ever since I sprayed with peppermint, along with a scary sight:

This has happened over the course of the last 48hrs since I sprayed with peppermint. It’s a strange chlorosis in that the leaves are yellow with green spots instead of splotches. Mostly isolated to lower growth but all 9 of the girls have it. I inspected all the leaves and didn’t see any mites or signs of eggs or the like. Unlikely it’s N deficiency since they are fed like clockwork with a formula I’ve used for years without deficiencies of any kind.

I’ve never seen chlorosis spread this fast, its got me worried for sure.

1 Like

wow this picture is a worrying sight … how strong did you make the peppermint mix? it might have been too strong and damaged the leaves some how. also if you did it with lights on it may have been burned from the light… i forgot to mention, but when i sprayed method 1 with my LEDs on they got burned. i don’t think i got a picture but it looked like the 2nd picture but a lot worse than that. i started turning lights off for an hour after spraying to give time to evaporate. i wouldn’t worry too much, i don’t think it would be permanent damge, may stunt a bit or something but should fully recover fine.

1 Like

Stop spraying foliage promplty. Probably too late to wash affected areas from the burn.

Are the new growth areas near the stalk burned too?

1 Like

also, were you using as a soil drench or just foliar spray/misting the top of soil

1 Like

No soil drench, just misting plant and top of soil.

1 Like

Not sure exactly what you’re pointing out here. EDIT: nvm I get it, and no for the most part just the larger fan leaves. But yeah it could definitely have been burn. Didn’t notice it on anything besides the lower growth really the tops don’t seem affected and the stalk seems fine no changes in its appearance really.

1 Like

She’ll survive then. You won’t like the look for a few weeks.

Is this still in veg? If so, maybe delay flipping and let the new growth spread out to increase yield.

Interesting stuff here…

2 Likes

Day 14 of flower. Bud sites just starting to open up now.

Im tempted to give them a good plain water + light h202 spray tomorrow night to wash off any residue I might have left behind.

Obviously I’d prefer to just test one plant at a time when trying this kind of stuff but when you’re in the middle of a pest crisis you have no time for trial runs :confused:

The guys at the local grow shop have been treating me like I have some sort of plague they’re basically walking me out of the store at this point. And refuse to hand me stuff in case I give them my bugs lol.

1 Like

The bugs bug people much more than plants, usually. What were you spraying for, There is a product called Safer Soap which is generally not a problem for plants and the bugs no likey!

1 Like

Spider mites, possibly 2 spotted my loop isn’t good enough.

Been spraying with Bug-b-Gon insectisidal soap which had no negative impacts, this only seemed to happen after I added peppermint to my formula.

I might go all out organic if the bugs are really bad. There are a host of predatory mites, as well as bacteria and beneficial nematodes that like to feast on insect larvae.

2 Likes

Organic wouldn’t work with my indoor/marital situation. I might switch to hydro and ditch soilless altogether on my next grow.

This is the first time in 15 years of growing I’ve ever had a problem with pests. Guess I was just lucky :confused:

1 Like

This is what I am talking about.

I love the idea of adding beneficial organisms to my mix, it’s just the wifey hates the thought of it. When I mentioned the predatory mites she damn near had a heart attack. She used to help me and we bonded in the garden but ever since she found out there was something living in the room that wasn’t a plant she hasn’t came in since.

It’s been a wild ride fighting these bastards…

1 Like