PfantulSetru's first grow

Hi everybody. Thank you for all the info and inspiration! I’ve been reading OG for a while, and decided to make an account and document my grow.

Background and motivation

I was a pothead in my 20s. I smoked as much as I could get away with, first to try it out, then to escape something (didn’t quite figure out what, so far), then just because I was used to and addicted to it. It swallowed all of my non-work time and I eventually realized that it kept me from being all that I could be.

I stopped altogether around the time I turned 30. I’d try a joint on rare occasions, only to immediately want more and remember why I stopped. I don’t want to be high all the time again.

After a couple more years, I had the opportunity to try CBD strains (flowers and oil). The regular stuff worked as expected (somehow relaxing, etc), but what I found most intriguing were the “high THC” (up to 1%) CBD strains. There was that ever so mild hint of what I remembered: pleasant head state, slightly different perception, daydreaming, and so on. Most importantly, I didn’t feel like having more right away.

I’m about to turn 40 now. I have young children I need and want to be present for, and a life full of passions and hobbies. I don’t want to go back to being a pothead, but I’d love to enjoy some altered states in moderation.

I can’t get any CBD (let alone high THC CBD strains) where I live now. It’s time to grow my own.

Basic decisions

• Strains: Purplematic CBD auto (very low THC) and Stress Killer CBD auto (1:1 CBD:THC), both from RQS
  • Location: non-legal jurisdiction, children, neighbors – it has to be indoors
  • Medium: soil
  • Method: organic, letting mother nature do its thing as much as possible. I’d call it living soil, although the term seems to have taken a strange meaning around here :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Build: environment

I’m using a small (0.3 square meters footprint, just under 2m total height) metal closet located in a climate controlled room. I painted the interior with flat white low VOC paint:

Inside there’s a S&P TD250/100 two speed duct fan and PrimaKlima carbon filter mounted as high as possible. The extra hole is from getting the first measurement wrong. Intake is through another 100mm hole on the same side at the bottom, under the raised base level.

The light is a “Figolite grow” (QB clone from Aliexpress) 120W panel with LM301H leds (3500k), 660nm and toggleable 730nm IR / 395nm UV.

I sewed the pot (thank you @ReikoX for the inspiration) from landscaping fabric to match the footprint. It has a hacked-up rectangular plastic tray underneath to prevent any runoff from damaging the closet or the floor. It’s held in place with two wooden frames ziptied to the closet structure.

Control system

There’s a Rasberry Pi 4 driving an 8 channel relay board to control the light and fan. The high voltage parts are enclosed in a junction box.

The RPi and junction box are velcroed to the wall and also supported by a piece of wood ziptied to the closet.

Sensors:

• 1x Xiaomi MiFlora soil temp/humidity/conductivity/light
  • 2x (one at the top and one outside, in front of the intake hole) RuuviTag temp/humidity
  • MLX90640 thermal camera (mounting not yet done) for leaf temperature
  • RPi HQ camera (mounting/focusing not yet done) for time lapse

For software, I had started to build something with Node Red, InfluxDB and Grafana. A few days in I had the basics working but discovered Mycodo, which already had everything else I wanted to build and much more. I use Mycodo now.

Build: soil

The pot has roughly 80L of substrate, with an empty clearance at the top to allow for future amendments. At the bottom there’s a ~2cm layer of expanded clay to help drainage from the rest of the soil.

The rest is filled with a mixture of:

• 4 parts organic compost
  • 4 parts peat
  • 3 parts perlite
  • 1 part vermiculite
  • 10kg of organic substrate from a local park

To inoculate the soil:

• The first watering had some Easy Roots Mycorhiza and Rhizobacter dissolved in. I’m no longer convinced that you can pick specific spores/“bennies” but I already had these and figured it can’t hurt.
  • The second watering had 10% JMS aka JADAM microbial solution, made with boilet potato, sea water, and leaf mold soil from a nearby forest. I plan to keep adding this every now and then.

Plants

All planted directly into the soil on February 13th.

The stars of the show:

Companion plants: everything from RQS’s “Royal Guardians Bio Pack”. These are probably intended for outdoor planting and are complete overkill/overly tight for this pot size. I plan to ruthlessly trim and use them as top dressing. Hopefully there’ll be some pest deterrent benefits as well. I specifically planted:

• Alfalfa (in 2 separate corners of the pot)
  • White clover (in 2 separate corners)
  • Cerastium
  • Marigold
  • Chervil
  • Peppermint
  • Chamomile
  • Yarrow
  • Sweet basil
18 Likes

Progress! Some of the companion plants have been poking up over the last couple days, but today the Purplematic came out as well:

Also forgot to mention: running an 18/6 light cycle. Temperature at the soil level is hovering between 19C and 21C, with RH around 70%.

14 Likes

Welcome @PfantulSetru to OG! Looking forward to your grow.

2 Likes

It sure has! :joy: :rofl:

Welcome!

1 Like

Impressive deployment icon_e_surprised|nullxnull, I see you’re not a fan of the KISS method frech|nullxnull, RQS is always a good choice, willing to see them grow … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

The Stress Killer came out too:

The control system might be a bit over the top :sweat_smile:

I do strongly believe in KISS for the biological part, though!

8 Likes

Meanwhile Purplematic is starting to grow its first set of leaves:

8 Likes

Awesome setup, very exciting.

1 Like

Good luck with your grow

1 Like

Looking good I will be following along :+1:

Nice setup, gonna have to watch as you go along. Good luck my friend.

1 Like

I’ve been gradually ramping up the light intensity after having started at the dimmest level. The height is not (easily) adjustable.

Right now it’s ~7500 lux at the center of the pot, which according to an online converter is a PPFD of somewhere between 120 and 190 umol/s/m2. Large variance depending on which of the two closest light spectrum options I pick (can’t find my exact light combo there). I think I’ll stop ramping it up for now.

As I ramped up the light, temperature started increasing too. This seems good for now since it was on the cold side before. After some fiddling I set the exhaust fan to kick in when the top temperature goes over 25 C.

There’s quite a differential between top and bottom. I knew I’d need a circulation fan so I just added one now blowing more or less from the top down. I’m curious to see what the temperatures will settle at.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m not sure what to expect regarding plant growth. They are both tall-ish but with just a tiny pair of leaves. I’m guessing I just need to LITFA but it’s difficult not to obsess about it :sweat_smile:

The Stress Killer is almost as tall at 6 cm.

3 Likes

Purplematic leaves. Are they a little irregular or is it just me? The Stress Killer ones are a bit smaller.

5 Likes

It’s just you lol but I like your enthusiasm :wink:

Takes me back to my first indoor grow after a 10 year hiatus. I was checking them 6 or 8 times a day.

I germinated some seeds last week, not been growing for 10 months now. I check them every couple of days when I remember lol. You need the large jug of extra strong super concentrate LITFA and give it a good sniff every morning, that helps me a lot :wink:

8 Likes

Thanks that’s reassuring :grin:

Meanwhile I discovered @grow’s 2x2 20 Gallon Living Soil thread (same pot size) and realized that I wasn’t nearly as adventurous as I thought with the companion plants. So, I added some more!

Beans, legumes, grains, cover crop mixes, everything I had around. The larger ones got pushed into the soil, the others just sprinkled around. Let’s see what happens…

5 Likes

If your beans hatch they will be climbing up all over the weed plant.

3 Likes

Chugging along! It had been 3 days since the last watering and the soil was starting to feel dry at the top, so I gave them 600ml of water with ~3ml of kelp (ascophyllum nodosum) concentrate dissolved in.

Purplematic:

Stress Killer:

The Stress Killer is bending to one side, which I suspect is due to the circulation fan blowing from the top of it. I reduced the fan speed to the minimum and will move it if things don’t improve.

5 Likes