Dark Devil (DD), day 24 - she’s still stunted but is surviving. Looks like whatever PH/nute issue that stunted her is resolved and she’s growing and even starting some preflowers:
She’s still on her own, but she seems to be holding her own.
Double Grape (DG), day 36 - The DG has finally stopped stretching and is starting to put weight on her flowers. I did a fairly extensive defoliation, removing any fan leaves that never got any direct light and any fan leaves that were covering flowers. I forgot to take a picture of her before her haircut but I removed 16 leaves throughout the entire plant of various ages. Here she is after her haircut:
Shes starting to get a little frost on her leaves, and rubbing her stems gives a really nice scent. Here are some flower sites picked at random:
Leaf inspection showed some nute burn on some older leaves, I’m not too concerned about this. I know the runoff last week came out real hot so I’m confident that’s old damage. Newer leaves I pulled off seem much healthier:
Based on the leaves, and the fact the DG has stopped stretching and is focusing on her flowers, I’m running a GH flowering schedule at 75%. PH is 5.4 and PPM is 1242. The PH being lower is not intentional, and I misjudged how much PH down to put in my reservoir. I don’t think it’ll be too much of an issue, though I do know my runoff PH is very close to my input PH, if not a little lower, so I may have to raise the PH a little. I should probably be targeting 5.8 or 5.9 so that if it drifts down a few points during the week, it’s still in an ideal window.
Last weeks runoff PH was 5.65 and the PPM was 1401. That follows the trend of my PH being ~1.2 pts lower on run off. I have no idea why I was running the PH so high before, but now I might be running it too low. I’ll make sure to monitor the girls extra carefully over the next few days.
Gorilla Glue (GG) and Girl Scout Cookies (GSC), day 3 - these girls popped in my bubble cloner on the 15th, and through some not-so-polite urging from my partner (more on her later), I put them into the fogponics test rig today.
I’m running a 3 disc ultrasonic mist maker on a 5s on / 55s off schedule (roughly, these analogue interval timers can be janky for the real cheap ones) in ~3G of tap water. I ran the rig for a few days empty to monitor mist and moisture levels. I had a net pot in the chamber as the mister ran, and noticed condensation on the pot. I’m hoping this, combined with the splashing that the mist maker makes, and the hydroton/rockwool media I’m using will be enough to coax the roots into the root chamber, and which point we’ll see what they do.
This may end up being a partial Kratky DWC/fogponics build, depending on what the roots want to do. I’m not a hydro purist so I don’t care, I just enjoy growing flowers in water.
Really puts the closet back into closet grow.
My janky homemade light:
And the girls themselves:
Here’s a pic of my assistant, verifying water quality. She decided it was time to move the seedlings out of the bubble cloner by jumping up onto the reservoir and knocking everything over, draining the bubble cloner. I took her advice for obvious reasons:
And finally a vanity shot of the DG as she’s growing, top down: