PGR Let's talk about it

Thankyou very much @ReikoX this is exactly what I was after. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good call, I had never heard of these things and now I will make sure to not go near themā€¦

Afraid I have to disagree here Over the last 30 years I have flushed, and I have not flushed, and in my experience it does not make the difference you say if you cure your weed properly.

The worst weed I have smoked was from my early days when I just put plants in compost and watered them (no feeds) which was like giving them a 6 week flush. That weed did not burn from the lack of elements inside it to combust properly, phosphorous for example.

That weed went black, would not stay lit, and left black charcoal instead of ash. When I upped (started) my feeds, it smoked OK.

My opinion is that when you flush in hydro you are actually doing a partial light cure, which makes the difference you detect.

I have given some of my unflushed (but cured) weed to people who flush (and say the same as you that flushing is important and they did a 3 week flush) and when smoked side by side they rated my unflushed (but cured) weed as better quality than their flushed weed. They even asked me what I did to my weed to make it better than theirs ( we grow the same clone) as they wanted the quality I was gettingā€¦

This article is interesting and makes some good points. To flush or not to flush

Also this one

If you find any articles that even slightly question the effectiveness of flushing, hydro or soil, then you will be looking at an article that does not find that flushing does what is claimed.

Just my opinionā€¦

might start a thread to see what other peeps think.

2 Likes

Post a photo of your cannabis smoking in a joint. Iā€™d like to see the ash color.
Hereā€™s mine after a proper flush:

6 Likes

Will do but these days a blunt does me in and ends the day, so it will be sunday (tomorrow) :wink:

If you want to see a pic of a spliff that burns well by itself and does not need lighting, and does not smoke like

then I can assure you this will be the case.

Hell, even the stuff that is only just on the dry side of alive after just being hung for four days would do that but it would be a harsher smoke from the lack of curing. But for apples to apples, I will roll one from weed that has had the chlorophyll cured away, which IMHO is what happens when people ā€˜flushā€™, they actually do a partial light cure to remove chlorophyll. This would give a smoother smoke without further curing but at the cost of yield, some would argue strength. Might even roll 2 so you can see that only just dry, non flushed weed still smokes fine without needing to be relit because it has the correct elements in it for combustion.

Obviously none of these will have any of the demon weed inside (tobacco)

To be clear, I am not saying that ā€˜flushingā€™ does not produce smoother weed, it is plain from your image that your weed smokes very well and this is also the case in my experience, what I am saying is that a proper cure will produce the same smoothness without ā€˜flushingā€™ because that is all that is happening (chlorophyll reduction as part of curing) except the plant is alive when it happens.

Still, the plants have clean roots when they get chopped :wink:

1 Like

I will trust this is the case with your style of growing.
But for me (and all the hydro growers I know) , the flush is 100% required. Iā€™ve done much experimentation.

Iā€™m curious what you think the benefits of feeding salts in the last 2 weeks of flower are?

I grow hydro and never flush but I do keep the EC low for the whole grow.

2 Likes

I believe you. :+1: All my experimentation has been done within 1-2 months of harvest, so my results may not be as accurate as I think.

I want it to smoke perfectly. Like the finest Canadian tobacco cigarette. Even when itā€™s so fresh that the stems are still green. Every bud. For this result in my system, I NEED a 10+ day flush.

1 Like

Yup I added a pgr snow I believe it was called to a plant Iā€™d grown before. Ruined the plant buds got bigger but lost itā€™s smell and got dark. Never used the product again.
I have heard of PGRs from alfalfa which is said to be fine for cannabis/human consumption

3 Likes

Most pg.r that would be useful for Cannabis are paclobutrazol or Cycocell based products , essentially they stop the stretch of your plants as they are moved to a 12/12 Cycle generally ethylene gas slowly gets released as it is released as the plant adjusts to the dark Cycle the shoots elongate , What these PGRā€™s do it send a signal to the plant to dump ethylene really quickly , the reason besides toxic residue this reduces quality is it generally shortens the flowering Cycle as much as 14-17 Days however many active ingredients and terpenes are developing slowly in the early periods of flowering , this rush of ethylene is also why the buds are harder and rounder .

The first PGR we saw hit the market in the early days was called Bonsai it was not marketed towards Cannabis but some growers figured out its action Bonsai is a OZ product , so when Dutch Master came to Canada they introduced super Bud which was (is?) a paclobutrazol based product a Bonsai knock off .

A short time later there was a two part competitor canā€™t recall the name but it was a Cycocell based PGR that had essentially the same action .

This stuff is still widely used by some commercially minded producers in BC some use just a tiny bit they want crops off in 7-8 weeks max
Stay away from this crap if anyone is really interested I have a list of a whole bunch of trade names for PGRā€™s that are used in the cut flower business that all contain this type of PGR there is an 3 rd newer PGR I canā€™t recall what its called now but its the same old idea has the same action .

As for a great veg booster Spray nitrozyme and soluble kelp products that contain it and you will see amazing growth in vegetive cycle !

Peace and Love From Jamaica

PB

3 Likes

You absolutely do need at least a 10 day partial light cure, or flush if you prefer, if you want it to smoke like that when fresh. I sort of mentioned the benefits in (IIRC) my last post, I am of the opinion you get more yield, possibly strength (although that is much more debatable than yield) than if you restrict nutrients in the maximum growth period.

Personally, I cure a minimum of 6 weeks up to 4 1/2 months (into glass jars when buds crispy but stalks fresh, keep an eye and get moisture levels right then seal)

Some context : I had a bad failure once when I was on holiday. I had stupidly propped up the ball on my float valve so the ladies got no new water and died 2 weeks from harvest (3 days into a 17 day holiday). I knew about it as soon as it happened but could not do anything about it until I returned home. They were pale brown and crispy, it was very unpleasant to see. They were also just mature enough to crop. The weight was 1/2 of the normal final weight, which let me know that the last 2 weeks are when the plant does 1/2 of itā€™s important growing. This has raised the importance of those final 14 days in my mind, the importance of nutrients in that time and so on. It was also an incredibly smooth smoke. They had no flush, just a harsh and unwanted 14 day light cure.

This might bias my opinion :wink:

Just so you know, I run hydro in a vertical system using standard guttering, central heating pumps, and plumbing pushfit tubing. I also am experimenting with the world of reduced feeding leading to increased yield and quality from better environment management :wink:

Iā€™m curious what you think you are removing from the plant when you flush?

(off to visit the stepdaughter for the day with the wife, will be back later and I will roll and post)

1 Like

One of the recipes for an organic soil mix from a long time ago had horse manure and alfalfa pellets in it as two vital ingredients. If alfalfa contains PGR that would explain why it was said to be very important in the mix.

1 Like

It makes a big difference if the Substance - here PGR is chemically synthesised or organically bound.

Like Citric Acid - chemical science does just create mirror images. They are not the true Substance.

1 Like

http://massspectrumbotanicals.net/category/horticulture-aids/plant-growth-regulators/

1 Like

Wow.

That is a whole world away from what I do.

I think I will stick to simpler ways :wink:

Here you go. Lit once, smoked without being relit, smooth, did not burn too fast or go out, not a ā€˜wet charcoal briquetteā€™ because it is properly cured.

This was not flushed.

As an aside, I would like to say that a spliff is as hard to work with as children and animals. I am now covered in ash :wink:

2 Likes

Looks damn good! :+1:

1 Like

Just donā€™t let the plants see the label!

1 Like

Is this stuff a PGR?

Results show an increase in yield of up to 25%

https://harvestmiracle.com/

1 Like

Hmmā€¦canā€™t remember why I was looking at it, but found some super cheap (and probably all buggered up) PGR. Canā€™t find it now, but wanted to take a screenshot of the company straight up saying theyā€™ll call it something else to make sure it gets to its destined country if deemed illegalā€¦lol.

C$ 0.59 50%OFF | 18g Paclobutrazol Bonsai Plant Growth Regulators Growing Aid Fertilizer

Contemplating getting some just to try on 1 plant to see what it does. My flower closet will be full and I have too many clones.

Edit. Ended up grabbing a bagā€¦lolā€¦ $3 with shippingā€¦lolā€¦

3 Likes