pH levels for dirt and water

Thank you. Damm good info. So should I use tap water or bottled.

1 Like

Tap all day baby. Chlorine is overall beneficial. Mild disinfectant and it is a often forgotten plant nutrient needed in small amounts.

Unless, of course, you truly live in a place with truly awful water. My water is very hard, and I do fine. Medium-hard is best, some alkalinity and dissolved minerals are generally helpful. 95%+ chance you live somewhere with acceptable water.

Whatā€™s your tapwater pH after you let it sit out a few hours? Letting it sit out a bit lets you get a more accurate pH.

If you already have an R/O unit, Iā€™d use it, but then you have to add minerals for optimum nutrition. Always a million ways to skin a cat, I just prefer tapwater.

3 Likes

Was thinking of doing exactly that, go basic.

1 Like

Chlorine is a gas not a mineral and is in no way beneficial to your plants. Very opposite effect in anything above 1ppm and most municipalities keep chlorine between 1.0 and 2.0 ā€¦per D.E.P. has a min chlorine residual of .040 anything less is a boil water advisory.

2 Likes

Actually, chlorine is an essential micronutrient that plants need for metabolism and osmotic/stomatal regulationā€¦ it also helps with photosynthesis and disease resistance/tolerance.
Itā€™s needed in about the same amounts as Boron.

2 Likes