Pics of my DIY LED supplimental light

So this was a last minute build I decided to do to suppliment my pre-existing T- 5’s, I would like to state that the inspiration for these came from Mr. Sparkles micro gro threads.

Pretty simple really, I used a junk, 5-way lamp, removed the 5-way lamp head from the base pole, rewired it. And added some stripped down 10watt ,2700k led bulbs with the domes removed…
Simple, and inexpensive. This is my first attempt at any DIY LED’s. I appreciate your thoughts, comments. Thank you.

6 Likes

Can you get rid of those reflectors? The lights are pretty direct without the dome. Personal ID prefer for them to be have no reflector but if that’s all you got it’ll do just fine.

Cool. Let us know how the work out for you…

I was actually looking at the pics I put up and was considering removing them, I figured they would better focus/direct the light spread. They just screw right off so yes they are removable. Thank you for your input bro.:thumbsup:

I am actually going to do a soil test w/ some tomatoes to see if the local, natural soil, I have been considering using, is viable and was thinking about using these with that soil test. Along w/some in the same soil outdoors under natural sunlight.

1 Like

Also I forgot to add, the lamp has a three way switch to run either, 2,3,or all five bulbs.I thought this was useful to be able to adjust intensity…?

3 Likes

Yeah it would be good if those lights were more intense. Personally I’d run them at full power for your babies a few inches away from the canopy.

2 Likes

You mentioned these are being supplemental, do you have also additional lighting for your indoor test?

1 Like

I think he’s supplementing some t5s or some fluro

2 Likes

Correct. That is what these are for, to add to the T-5’s I have been using indoor.

2 Likes

Got it (which was noted in the op). My reading comprehension is lacking today :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed in my neck of the woods in Maine the soil was pretty awesome stuff… Kinda heavy with sand but easily amenable with some peat and compost. Knowing Maine it probably wouldn’t be bard for you to find someone with a compost pile that’d be willing to sell you a five gallon bucket to mix with you soil.

Nice job on the leds…full intensity…i run 6 of those a few inches above my plant…works out perfect.

3 Likes

I actually have a pretty decent compost/ worm farm going, I have been ammending with natural kelp, and crab claw,lobster compost, I have been gathering as well as forest products, and food scraps,(fruit scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds…ect.) I have been on the hunt for some sheep shit to add as well…( kind of working on my own personal version of “coast of maine” compost.

2 Likes

Sounds killer honestly. Is it ready? How light is it? Adding some old coco or peat will help losses it up.

If you can add your compost and get good drainage and oxygen to your roots your compost and the Maine earth should give your plants lots of love.

1 Like

Compost it, then run it through your worm bin. By then will have some premium compost. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

love some led bulbs.

4 Likes

I remember that fom your pics on the ICMag off-the-shelf-LED thread. :+1::seedling:

1 Like