🖼 Picture of the year contest, Free entry, hundreds of seeds for winners

17 Likes

Agreed, we don’t want anyone to get into any trouble for their post in this contest or anywhere else on OverGrow. The picture posted for the contest must be your own, with your content for exhibit. You can enter the contest by posting something that makes this community great or tell another OG you like their picture.

All posts must be within the guidelines and rules for posting on OverGrow.

7 Likes

What about ugly ness?

2 Likes

That makes good sense to me.

2 Likes

Meaning negative input against another OG for their picture or post? It will not be tolerated. It’s a OverGrow rule and a community event, when I first read @cannabissequoia making fun of @Qtip art work after he had put himself out there and got this thing going. I had to think of freedom of speech and came to the same conclusion I always have… it takes every kind of person to make a community strong.

Now if ment: should there be a special category for pictures of mung fish eating other fish… I would call that ugliness. I gotta roll and get some work done.

Shout out to @JohnnyPotseed and @ShiskaberrySavior enjoy the ride.

Midnight whistle, and the coal chambered beast charges thru the gaining wall of fog. Slowing the engine, the conductor blows the whistle twice more, approaching the yeehaw junction. Heavy afternoon thunderstorms had drenched the little town where no one but family ever visited and the people there for the most part liked it that way. They’ll be no stopping for this red eye filled with wealthy guests, bound for Miami. There’s always a schedule to keep so he starts picking up speed again, the twenty foot section of bridge that the children use to get to the other side of town, has been weakened by the rushing of water.

Sleeping in her bed, with a cat named black jack and a dog that didn’t have a name because it was deaf. She’s dreaming of a spring day when the fishing was good and the air delightful, the train meets it’s fate and derails at fifty miles an hour. The rumbling crash of twisting metal, contorting into shapes of misery and pain, wakes the entire town from an ordinary night. Screaming mothers and fathers call out for mercy, the children are trapped with them as fire rages out side threatening to move inside. The bridge had a gasoline main cross over just installed a month ago, the fifteen year old pillars where loosened during the process. Hundreds of gallons of gas are flowing over the water and up the banks igniting the older model wooden passenger cars on fire.

Leaping from her bed and running to the front door, Lee finds the entire family on the porch, the adults are trying to decide what to do. They can clearly see the flames leaping into the sky a hundred feet or more and people are crawling across the ground, their house is only a couple hundred yards from the tracks and the stream. Her mother goes to barn and prepares to tend to the injured, as her father starts the truck to drive up to the crash site with her two older brothers. She decides at the last moment to jump on the back of the truck kind of sneaky, so her father won’t see her. Jim guns the motor and tears up the road, she holds on to the wooden slates for dear life. Arriving on the gruesome scene, the men run to aid the dieing, Lee stands up, looking over the cab, a man with a chair leg sticking through his stomach and coming out of his back at an angle staggers toward her.

The only fire truck in town arrives with a ambulance that’s just a van with some medical supplies inside, the firefighters send a team to turn off the gas main while the others begin dousing burning passenger cars with a bucket brigade from up stream. A boy sees Lee and waves limply with one arm for help, he’s bleeding from a head injury. She grown up on the farm so medical attention is second nature to her, jumping off the truck and running toward him. He staggers and falls with a stone white face, covered in blood. Kneeling next to him she turns him over to see if he’s still breathing, her mother screams from behind her, finding a man leaning against the front of the truck with a shattered piece of wood sticking out of his back.

After taking more than a dozen people to the house and barn, with burns, cuts, and sever wounds, Lee sits by her bed with a boy that’s unconscious. There’s moaning in the house and screaming in the barn, more fire trucks are arriving from close by towns along with more ambulances that have better equipment for such a horrific accident. Broward opens his eye’s to see Lee wiping the blood from his head and speaks “Thank you” the words come across is slow slur as he passes out from blood loss. She’s very worried about him and doesn’t even know his name, her mother comes into the room with a man dressed in pajama’s, his eyes are wide open from shock. The doctor was one of many called to the rescue that night, he checks the boys pulse and finds him to be at least ok enough for now. The doctor turns to Lee, “The bleeding has stopped and he doesn’t seem to have any broken bones or internal injury that I can see, have some water ready for him when he comes around.”, her mother and the doctor leave the two alone, as Lee starts to feel the emotion of taking care of someone else when they are unable to care for themselves.

The fire took hours to put out and many people perished in the catastrophe, Broward’s mother is lead into the bed room with bandages on her arm and head by Lee’s mother . His mother was in the barn with his father who was badly burned getting them out of the sleeper car , being in critical condition he was taken to a hospital immediately. The mothers standing together looking at their children, both begin to weep and laugh at the same time. Broward’s mother hugs Lee and thanks her for taking such good care of her son, he opens his eye’s and says with a broken harsh voice… “Mom?”. Reaching out to her son and sitting down on the edge of the bed, he puts his hand on hers and asks about his father. She holds back the tears and says, “ He’s going to be OK, now rest yourself…”. The mothers go to speak in hushed whispers just out side the door, Lee sits and looks at this boy she’s never met before, laying in her bed, admiring him.
She’s never met a boy from outside of town and doesn’t like the ones she does know that live in town. His dark black hair is matted in blood as he awakens again with more resolve. “Where am I” he asks, she looks at him sideways and says, “your in my bed“. His eye’s flash open wide, “I don’t know how I got here” he say’s, looking around at the strange surroundings. He’s groggy and can’t get a fix on sitting up straight so he slumps back onto the pillow. Lee giggles for a brief moment and says “Your going to be all right, you just need to rest”, she looks toward the door to see her mother smiling at her.

Around noon, Broward is awake and hungry, Lee is trying to make him smile while they wait for what smells like something fantastic cooking in the kitchen down stairs. Instant friends from the situation, their getting along very well. The worst brings out the best in both of them as they try not to think about what has happened, “I’m going to run downstairs and get you some food” says Lee with her radiant smile. She finds her mother in the kitchen talking to several men and woman including Broward’s mother, “Excuse me mom, can I get a plate to take upstairs?”. says Lee with the last part falling off to a whisper, as all the adults turn to look at her.

Pancakes with egg’s and corn beef hash, are delivered by a beautiful girl turning into a teenager. He’s stunned by her presence but grateful enough to say, “Thank you”. She uses talking to calm herself while he’s devouring the breakfast for lunch. Just his presence seems to have a calming effect on her and they sit for a long while just looking at each other. Two large men show up around three PM to take Broward to a waiting car , that will take him and his mother to the hospital in the next town, where his father is stabilized but still badly burned. As the car is pulling away, Broward waves from the back window, a single tear rolls down Lee’s cheek, waving good bye. Her mother pulls her close to the side, and rubs Lee’s shoulder. Leaning in close to her ear she says, “I got their address and gave them ours so you can send a letter to him.”, Lee’s sparkling eye’s turn to her mother as she say’s “I’m going to start writing Broward a letter right now”.

One summer afternoon, many years later the mail man arrives with a letter for Lee. They had lost touch over time, she opens the envelope to find a nearly blank page that say’s “See you Saturday” and Broward’s name signed underneath. She is dizzy with excitement, running into the house yelling “Broward’s coming here Saturday!!! He’s coming to see me!!!”, up the stairs and into her room, throwing open the closet door. “What am I going to wear!?!?!”, she says it over and over. “I think it’s about time we got you that pretty pink dress in the window of Clair’s store.”, her father says in a crisp clear voice from the doorway.

The story teller, my grandmother, leans forward in her rocking chair and brings her face close to mine as I sit mesmerized on the floor. She looks at me with excited eye’s and says “The rest of my life you must know by heart, right now… the pumpkin pies are ready and your papa will be home soon“. It’s Thanksgiving day and Lee is in the kitchen making a fabulous meal while Broward and uncle Will are shopping for a Christmas tree. She tells me the story of how they met time and time again, always thankful for the worst night of their life that turned into the most incredible lifetime.

Right now… I’m going to sit in the rocking chair.

Have a great day. :sunglasses:

13 Likes

No I meant me, did you see that picture of me…LOL

1 Like

:rofl: that’s what I thought, butt… it gave me a chance to get negativity off my mind.

2 Likes

Precisely, Precisely

1 Like

alright, how’s this?

17 Likes

I like it!! Hand is surely feminine!! Really nice!! @SaintAliasKnife !!

3 Likes

Ok, added a bit about me to my picture in keeping with the format laid out for this contest. Have a great day everyone.

4 Likes

Double D leads and the qtip follows…updated with some bio info!

2 Likes

Here’s one I took on an extremely low tide of our beachfront stay at Pacific Sands Resort under a full moon in Tofino, BC.

21 Likes

That is a beautiful shot @Jinglepot. My partner and I did a vacation on the island but were unable to find accommodation in Tofino so did Uculet instead . I feel lucky to live in this beautiful province.

4 Likes

Ukee is beautiful too! A little more rugged and bigger storm surges! The waves crashing into the rocks and full curls crashing on the flats were unreal to watch and the roar was deafening! Guess that’s why they call it Supernatural BC!

3 Likes

Sounds Good to me …Help each other another get along …prosper…Survival of the Fittest with the Love Understanding to work ends meat when the day is over We have Bread on the Table Thanks the Lord…Peace Hope Understanding the Hip Ages of the 60’s, i am 55 model…Help other so We really Learn Who We are and What We are made of ,Organics to help the Earth Healing ,Compost ,Sustainable , earth wind water Goodness gratuitously, Just a Old Hippy wanting A Sustainable Places to stay to help other learn Our Way Thanks…Cal …looking at Farms…

1 Like

My OD grow this past year, even tree frogs like cannabis. Last year was a snake.

1 Like

12 Likes

my neighbor shot it it was his cat and goose Thank you

2 Likes

will try again this is the new sea wall (I AM ) building on my water front you can see by the ditch the ladders are in that is how much property has washed out in three years so i am going to deck it over to regain my property for that is a good cat fish hole in front of it it is about 6 feet deep their except up top of picture it is only about 2 ft the last big storm tore up last sea wall and it was tore up and floated away yep when we get a real good Texas storm well its just like everything else big in Texas well because of my age of 79 years young i only get to put into work about 2 to 3 hours a day i figure i will have it done in another week from today but this picture was taken last week and yes that is my shadow in the picture on my double deck yep as you can tell i live on a lake not bad for an 80 year old right the only thing left to do is painting but it is to cold and wet to paint so it looks like a summer project.

MVC-122S

16 Likes