Please help me succeed at making clones

Yes, I got it sorted out. Thank you!

It came down to two problems.

1. For whatever reason the cloning gels would always mold, killing Amy chance of roots.
  2. These plants were going from outside. The decrease in light was causing the plants to start flowering. I guess it’s difficult to get a flowering plant to root. But eventually the most stubborn strain, super skunk, eventually rooted.
2 Likes

Ah good stuff! I might go back to rooting powder and see if I get a better strike rate.

Just took some cuts today for the first time using plugs instead of the usual rockwool aka algae cubes.
Expecting good results

2 Likes

I have a small “psycloner” water cloner with a pump that sprays the stems until it roots. Tap water and 1/4 tsp of superthrive every four days and scrub clean. I usually see roots in five to ten days. use a cheap box store grow light laid on top. I have 100% root rate so far. I want to try other methods some day.

2 Likes

You can make one of these and use some rooting gel.

Usually I cut the big fan leaves other times I just wing it and let them be. That plant stretched too much so I cloned the top.

3 Likes

Only good things have happened since moving away from rockwool cubes…as long as I have plugs, I’ll never go back. Have had almost :100: percent success using both gel & the powder.

save even more with just using water no gel no clonex no nutes

1 Like

This is the way, breathe in nee exhale daily. Never fails.

4 Likes

Very nice idea! I am sure this would fail with too much lumen above the clones, other than that this works the exact same like a propagator.

2 Likes

200 ppfd is all it takes. But yes, if too much its no good for making clones

2 Likes

Indeed, too much light will be counterproductive. Too less light with rooting cuts however, would be a challenge i think.

1 Like

I started using plain clean Perlite as a bed to lay my clone blocks on inside the Humidity dome on the heating mat. I seen someone else using it and i had to try it and can confirm cuts seem to like it impressive 100% rooting rate back in the saddle again .I laid down about an inch and a half Perlite and a half inch of water which the Perlite wicks up like a sponge and holds the Moisture well

5 Likes

Hahaha u can’t make clones. Let’s fix that. Get you a 6 inch rockwool cube, aloe Vera plant. Some gh veg nutrient solution, aquarium, and some high quality soil (perlite is not de wey) to line aquarium bottom, a shaved down then sharpened box cutter works best (shaved thinner) razor will do. You want no more than two or three nodes on your clone but a 3rd or a 4th node to shave off flush with the branch, for very thin stems uncan use a wet shaving razor. Remove the bark from just above the last node to the bottom of the cutting. Cut off an aloe Vera blade amd stick the stem in there and make a hole tinier than the stem for insertion. Insert the clone with a lil excess aloe goo but not too much. Put it on the wet soil In bottom of aquarium and if you’ve done it right you shouldn’t need to spray them ever even and maybe takes 4 days max. Have seen it in 36 hours two times ever. 2 to 4 days is normal. Should be seamless transfer into growing. I got like a bakers dozen in mine right now. Clones that are too big or too small don’t do well and you need to crop larger leaves

1 Like

About cloning under leds, I found that using white 5 gallon buckets flipped upside down blocks a perfect amount of light while also being a big dome. I lifted it multiple times a day for air exchange. Next time I’m making some buckets with holes I can switch to after a while, so I don’t have to fuss with them as often. I’ve switched to the plugs and spring water too.

Rooted clones looked like I just cut them both times I’ve done this. I’ve never had them come out that good other ways.

1 Like