PM in Canada proposes legalizing marijuana in 2018

Trudeau is proposing legislation in April to legalize weed in Canada at the national level by July of 2018. This according to the Seattle times today:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/politics/article/Marijuana-in-Canada-will-be-legal-by-July-bill-11030748.php

2 Likes

The Canadian Cannabisleaf.

2 Likes

Cool I hope it works out for you guys, Iā€™m sick of this half assed legalization in Alaska.

1 Like

Well, I am in Oregon, not Canada. Things are pretty much the same here as in AK, CO, and WA. Except unlike WA, we can grow our own weed at home. Federal restrictions are certainly hampering things here, like having to be an all cash business because no banks will do any business with a licensed retailer or grower here.

Hopefully the Canadian federal deregulation will put more pressure on Washington DC to either decriminalize weed, or lower the classification from a schedule I narcotic to a schedule III or more. That way banks could do business with marijuana businesses at least, and allow for marijuana to be tested for medical purposes. It is amusing that weed is ā€˜legalā€™ in DC, but not with the feds there.

Of course there remains the forces that be against the legalization of weed, including the Church, Jeff Sessions, the right wing conservatives, Big Pharma, Big Booze, the narcotic traffic cartels, and the ill informed. The big reasons given to not legalize weed have all come to nothing in the 3 states of OR, CO, and WA. Those being that in these three legal states, teen use of pot has actually DROPPED since legalization, there has been no increase in the crime rate, there has been no increase in the cost to states for managing legalization or enforcing the new laws (actually there has been a tax revenue boom in these states), there has been no increase in deaths or accidents on the roads, and none of the states has been hit with Armageddon, though CA has had bad flooding this year. I am sure that is Godā€™s wrath for them passing Prop. 64 there last November!

2 Likes

Oregon also remains divided over legal marijuana for the most part. While it is legal to possess and smoke weed and grow weed at home here anywhere in the state (except on federal lands), geographically most of the state is dry when it comes to weed. Every county except one east of the Cascades has banned growing and selling rec weed. Two counties west of the Cascades have also banned all growing and selling of rec weed. Of those two, Douglas County also banned growing and selling medical weed. Also there is a huge list of cities in Oregon that have banned the sale of rec weed withing their city limits.

So we are a state divided. Growing, processing, wholesale and retail selling of rec weed is also by license and highly regulated. Its a complex and expensive path to get a marijuana license of any type, and the taxes are pretty high on retail sales, in an otherwise sales tax free state (except for booze, gas and hotel/motel rooms). But at least its legal hereā€¦ sort of. I can still get busted by the feds.

2 Likes

Fuck trudeau. 2018 comes. ā€œOh ya uh. We still need to do some things for the next year.ā€

3 Likes

May be a 420 celebration like no other, or comes and goes with us, law enforcement, dispensary owners and patients all scratching our heads. At least throw the bone of decriminalization to pave the way??? Fucking politiciansā€¦

ā€œLegislation due on or before April 20.ā€.

So you would like, rather have Trump and Sessions? Lets do a swap!

id rather have marc emeryXD then again whoever it is. they are just the puppet.

Hope he clears things up. If I look at it as a member of the OG community {which I believe are 1) cannabis growers (past present and future) and 2) mostly on the gray side of their countries laws }, the news story by the CBC is shadily sourced IMO and leaves any Canadian with a bit of a puzzle. The real announcement by the PM is coming sometime in April. The story basically repeats what the governments task force report contained, when it comes to the 4 plant personal grow per household, the report also mentioned a 100cm (about 3 ft) height limit on outdoor plants. Now Canadian pot supporters tipped the election scale for Trudeau, and since being elected a year and a half ago, he promised legal recreational cannabis. The report is just a report and trudeau can ignore any of it, he has proven that he still prosecutes and encourages arrests for cannabis, the arrest rate has not declined. This is another bad indicator that delaying implementation at the commercial recreational level is to entrench a supply and sales chain cartel. The year will allow the 25 or so factory legal providers to stockpile and acquire, giving an advantage to med produucers, while crushing the existing dispensary system for operating outside of the cartel. The only encouraging news from Trudeau was the change for carded medical patients being allowed to grow their own meds at home (AGAIN). So as an OG member, I want to know why the fuck should I wait another year to grow my own (within their stupid fucking limits) legally??? Why (as a self sustainer) should I wait until their cartel is up and ready for business, for pot that I will NEVER BUY, let alone consume. They must decriminalize possession and home self sustaining this year, and stop the gangsta control mindset which masquerades as protection of children and peoples health. Just out with it already selfie-boy. Clear up the picture.

2 Likes

Well, at least he and they are talking about legalization in Canada, however delayed or pissed off you are with the government. Look at what is happening here in the US: The DEA wants to ramp up arrests and Sessions wants to keep weed a schedule 1 narcotic. We can grow rec weed to some degree ā€œlegallyā€ here at the state level in 7 states and DC, and 20 or so other states allow for medical growing. In the least, as much as most hate him, Trump is a big fan of medical marijuana. And he is a fan of states rights. Or so he says today. He flip flops like a wet noodle in a hurricane.

From my outside perspective, Canada is going in the right direction. As for the politicians, hypocrisy and all the lies and BS promises to get elected, nothing we can do about that. Except try to vote them out of office. Sometimes as happened in the US (again) democracy has failed though, and the one that got the most votes did not win the election. Nothing we can do about that but wait for the next election to vent our frustration. Nothing we can do about the limited number of people that can get elected either. Also lifting prohibition on booze took a long time in the US, and slowly state by state, county by county, city by city. This will also take time. Must have patience, we must. Yes yesā€¦paradigms have to change, and that is a slow process for humans. I do not blame the governments and politicians as much as I do the Church, the medical community, BIG Pharma, and the ill informed, but well funded anti-MJ lobbies.

wet noodle in a hurricane LOL Yes we are going in the right direction by voting in a pro legalizer finally. You sound Canadian with the 'nothing we can do about that" line, one of our great qualities , (besides saying sorry) is apathy LOL. Venting discussing arguing etc. is an integral part of being a voter and politically aware, as well as socially connected just like among members here. Your words felt like a hand on the shoulder and a ā€œitā€™ll be OKā€, thank you for that SUR. Like the profound words from an actor dressed like George W. Bush " You donā€™t have to have faith in the government to be a good American, (OR Canadian) you just have to have faith in the country". I have faith in North America and our people(s) especially the cannabis lovers LOL Cheers.

1 Like

Well, glad I was a positive influence. Especially in such a crappy global time. I am from the PNW (the US PNW) and I spent many a summer in BC, and one summer we drove to NYC and came back across Canada. I have an ear for the dialect, and I can easily slip into the AlCan accent, eh? I also have a large collection of Canadian silver coins, mostly dollars.

As for politics, it seems that the wheels are falling off the Trump administration. Like the windows he is breaking while driving golf balls off the back lawns into the White House. I survived the evils of Nixon, and his attempt to kill us with Paraquat weed. I also survived the Reagan years. And in between there were the good years under Carter, where weed was practically decriminalized and I smoked weed with cops and highway patrol officers in California. So this era too shall passā€¦ and for those of us in the Legal States of America, we hope that Canada can lead the way to federal deregulation of Cannabis. It is long overdue.

1 Like

Gov. just busted Kingston420, wonder if they are going after the seed biz now. Clearing out the competition first? Not looking good to meā€¦

2 Likes

Pisses me off. Big corp pot like Canopy Growth Corp, go crying to the gov during the discussions with blairs task force and they cant even keep their own members supplied. The LPs run out all the time. Maybe they should worry about supplying their own customers so compassion clubs didnā€™t have to. Canā€™t wait to get my grow docs and cut these corporate cock gobblers right out.

2 Likes

Hummmā€¦

Still not much love for QuĆ©bec and even less our first case of HOMICIDE by SPVM-GTi police, in MontrĆ©al. A martyr of Trudeauā€™s hydrogen cyanide laced ā€œmari-cacaā€, to send some political ā€œmessageā€, to generate confusion, etcā€¦

Divide and conquer works just as planned it seems. No??

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Okay Everyone just take a deep breath and CHILL Donā€™t Worry about whether or Not it will be Legal to Grow Marijuana for Recreational use and as for NOW More people are Growing Marijuana in Canada in their homes and basements than EVER BEFORE! I know Beyond a shadow of Doubt that in 2018 around 420 or shortly thereafter Marijuana

• WILL Be LEGAL Here In Canada and of course there will be loads of Peanut Galleries that will Contest this FACT -
  • and say how Regulated and how Strictly the Law will Enforce prison or Fines for not adhering to these Rules etc.etc. Take whatever you need to Mellow Out and You just Wait and see My PM Is an Honorable Man & He Will See this Through by this time 2018 Iā€™ll be smelling Marijuana being smoked and Grown all over this Fantastic Country. Ye of little Faith go ahead and gossip and feed the uncertain and paranoid folks out there reading it even more apprehension and doubt. ME "Iā€™m Certain that our PM will Keep His Word & Legalize Marijuana for Recreational Use In 2018.
    Iā€™m a Legitimately Prescribed by my Family Practitioner Medical Marijuana Patient Licensed to Grow my Own Personal Medical Marijuana & Iā€™m Truly Blessed & Sincerely Grateful for it. I really love it here and on 420 as well as the amount of Info and knowledge from around this 3rd Rock from the Sun Eh! I only wish weā€™d all just find out about things for certain as youā€™d be surprised to see how quickly something can be validated and or proven true or false by a Google search I too am guilty of this very thing as well so please when on here lets do our best to Keep It REAL & True as possible.

Justin Trudeauā€™s Father Pierre whom Also was Our PM told the RCMP that the Government had No Place in the Bedrooms of Our Nation! The Apple did Not Fall far from the Tree here Eh! ā€œBless the Trudeau Familyā€

Sincerely: Don D. :pray:Namaste :pray:Namaste
2 Likes

So contradictory, who read ā€œThe emperor wears no clothesā€ by Jack Hererā€¦ Itā€™s all just more of the sameā€¦

2 Likes

Good Times ahead for you Brother Grower and Iā€™ve found that if you stay within your means and Grow Only Personal
You keep your Secret Garden a secret from even U! Then things are just as they should be. U can purchase an Entire Grow Kit thatā€™s So Stealthy you can sleep beside it days before Harvest Without any smell of Bud and Silent Fan & Filter.
A 4X4 tent w/ 6" Fan & Filter for $499.00 CAN then $250.00 for a 1200 to 1800 watt COB Full Spectrum LED Delivered to door in Canada or U.S.A. for just under $300.00 CAN It pays for itā€™s self first Harvest. Then U just Plug and Play with the simplicity of set up I did it Alone in 55 mins. My smart ass Son timed it Eh! lmao -

• Little Bastage lolā€¦
2 Likes