Pollen chuckin question

When using stored pollen, other than the obvious eventual production (or not) of seeds, how can one tell early whether or not the pollen was viable?

What are the signs of a knocked-up seed-mama and generally how soon after the pollination attempt will they appear?

4 Likes

Within 48hrs of being successfully pollinated, the pistils should shrivel up and turn orange and then start receding into the bracht’s/calyx’s.

15 Likes

Thanks. Thats what I was expecting.

Things aren’t looking good for my “Purple-Stella x Sour Grape” crosses.

7 Likes

Oh those look nice! :heart_eyes:

Yeah, it should look something like this within 48hrs

14 Likes

Generally speaking, how long do you let the mamas develop flowers before you apply?

I stored the pollen in centrifuge containers themselves stored in an airtight container with desiccants in the freezer for about 8-months.

I hit those girls twice since December 23rd about a week apart. Seems like if it was going to work, it would have.

You need to know how are flowering the females for this.But to know how many time the female have before engaging senescence. Needless to say that it almost change with each strain.

In doubt the “ping pong balls” stage is generally safe, the stage of your beautiful plants minus a good week.

It’s good to show how things can go wrong too, this one stayed over a month dusted by the fresh pollen of the male aside. Without much success. This specific pairing is complicated to make, it’s rare but problems of compatibility exist between the tubes of the pollen and the pistils/ovula system of the females. On this pairing it’s like crossing an elephant with a guinea pig ^^

This one was heavily pollinated by a freezed pollen, maximized. With stored pollen it’s less reactive in general with very “goo-ish” females.

But i admit, two shots over a month now … maybe it’s time to hunt pollen in OG in emergency ^^

8 Likes