Pollen Drying and Storing

I can vouch for that haha. The pollen was viable.

1 Like

As youā€™re going for storage, would you care to share some pollen? I got a selected pakistani mum waiting for a gentleman caller. Also got a chitrali landrace gal. Can offer chitral x nepal F1 pollen in return and of course the offspring of your donor.

1 Like

The bit I have left is from a second rate male (didnā€™t make the cut) I wouldnā€™t recommend this for breeding stock.
The only reason I collected it was to free up the good pollen for other folks, wow, it went fast!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

No worries mate. Thanks for the quick reply!

Another thing: I was thinking if instead of mixing with flour, wouldnā€™t dry rice also do the trick? Anybody tried that yet?

@Gpaw top quality grower.I read the whole thing and kept me busy for some time.
What would you do if you were me,One single tent,One single fem auto from seed,some colloidal silver 50ppm and storing 5-6 months the pollen I obtain for pollinating another auto later?(I Need to spray only One lower branch,the others I want to make Buds out of em)
I Will be a first timer on that.
Do not have silica gel packs,but can get a plastic box or use my vacuum food machine with plastic bags.

1 Like

The food vacuum machine is great. Just desiccate the pollen first.

ā€˜Officiallyā€™ I only have one tent too, but I do have a spare room I use for pollinating and a 4ā€™ shelf for cloning etc.
Checkout Mr. Sparkleā€™s setup, he puts most of us to shameā€¦ :sweat_smile:

In your case Iā€™d do as you said, reverse a couple lower branches for pollen, store and use that pollen on the next auto(s).
Go lightly with the pollination, we all hit them too hard the first few timesā€¦ :laughing:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thank you @Gpaw,Always on point,kudos for your green thumb
Peace,stay safe
:heart:
Also @Mr.Sparkle gave me some previous insight in a different thread,he too Is a top quality grower

1 Like

Can anyone share the info?
How long before the opening of the pollen sacs does the pollen become viable?

The reason I ask is this.
I only have one space. Male plants can be transferred to a relativeā€™s empty house for a couple of days. I canā€™t go there every now and then. I thought I would pick the flowers and put them on paper in a tupperware container along with dehydrated epsom salt.
Thatā€™s how I dried mushrooms and it does the job quite well.
Does it make sense?

Thank you

2 Likes

Put up a pic if you can. If the sacs are getting ready, you can cut the tops off, and put them in a glass of water. Mabe add some light nute to the water.

Find a quiet corner, and lean the cuts over a plate or glass sheet. i use the tempered glass from old refridgerators.

I like to see the pollen fall from the plant, personally. i have heard of cutting the pods open, too sketchy for me after putting all the effort.

A cup of water is fine, but you do the whole plant as well.

Good luck, there are few things more fun for me than collecting and spreading pollen :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There is someone on this forum with a little clear plastic bucket ā€˜windlessā€™ collection station. I forget who it is. Will look around.
P1010107

5 Likes

Looks like we need a revival in this thread.

I have this little 3 part box with a screen in between. Iā€™ve put rice with the freshly clipped sacks that are starting to open and dump pollen. After a day or two Iā€™ll shake the box a little and scrape up some pollen from the bottom which is smooth for collecting keif. Im thinking Iā€™ll add sacks every day to the box when they start to drop pollen

This was keif btw

5 Likes

those male flowers are a little too green, wait until the flowers start to open before harvesting them for pollen collection. when they are more developed, open, and more yellow than green, youā€™ll get better results and more viable pollen.

4 Likes

Alright. They were dropping pollen when I was clipping them tho.

1 Like

Sounds good tho. I do have quite a bit more to get it right haha.

4 Likes

thatā€™s a cool stashbox too, by the way.

When the flowers have turned yellow they have a lower moisture content so the pollen they are dropping will be more viable and quicker to dry for shelf stable storage in the freezer. Reducing the amount of time it takes for the pollen to dry improves viability and prevents the pollen from clumping.

5 Likes

Awesome man thank you for the insight. Was actually wondering about that very thing

1 Like

First time collecting pollen so any tips would help :crossed_fingers:t2: Here I have 2 males about 5 weeks old. Need an ETA on Fairy dust :sparkles: from the experienced OG breeders. :pray:t2:

Original Wookie Clone x Alien Dragon rbx from 7 East Genetics

Both have a skunky and repulsive stem rub smell that is intoxicatingly pleasant :skunk:

Thank you in advance :call_me_hand:t2:
OG Fam :fire:

1 Like

Single flower pod in first picture looks like it has a few days. The rest look like a few weeks.
Iā€™ve only had a handful of males so hopefully more experienced breeders/chuckers will chime in for you.

2 Likes

Ok thank you I appreciate the tips Iā€™m honestly just hoping for some viable pollen :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

So whatā€™s the best way to store pollen long term? Freezer or refrigerator?

1 Like

if Iā€™m collecting pollen I usually wait till weeks 3-4 depending on how the male is looking /dumping.

I always collect with my dehumidifier on and windows open to drop humidity to as low as possible whilst collecting. When I last collect the pollen from the BBD I got the house down to around 19% RH granted anything under 40% youā€™ll be on the safe side to help keep it viable. Try to leave it sit like this for a couple of days I usually leave mine in my trim bins to sit for a couple of days and then I collect with a small fan brush and a piece of paper so I can fold it up and get the pollen into centrifuge tubes. Thatā€™s about it.

long term definitely the freezer. I like to keep my centrifuge tubes in Tupperware so they have an extra layer of protection. Just what Iā€™ve been doing the last few years.

6 Likes