Pollen Extractors / Dry Sift Tumblers

The short of it is, I deleted a bunch of my content that could have been potentially identifying. I was going through a legal matter, which I won. I am letting the proverbial “dust” to settle before I open things back up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Personally I am waiting til I can afford stainless steel screenset… I don’t trust whatever the aluminum ones could be coated with, and plastic isn’t durable. There are some really nicely made sets out there if you have the coin.

Use an ice cream maker motor. They go nice and slow. They are cheap and easy to find at second hand stores.

2 Likes

Polyester ‘silk’ screen works just fine. Its cheap at any art supply store.

8 Likes

Those parts looks legit are do you have any links on were you can get them ??

1 Like

Wonderful read through. I will add, although I haven’t tested it, I’ve gotten 2-3rpm geared motors for microwave turntables. Slow (maybe too slow), fairly good torque. Easily found in trash.

1 Like

I made my own wood frame using rabbit joints. Works fine. But $18.50 for a 160 silk screen is a good deal if the screen is stretched and attached well. I like massaging the my buds as the last step in the cycle rather than machining them. Just my choice.

@lefthandseeds, how is your dry sift tumbler working out? any changes to your design since you last posted?

5 Likes

I haven’t been using it much. I would like to consider how to make a better drum that’s a little easier to load, but dry ice hash is turning out to be more my effort level lol. I just don’t consume concentrates enough, and when I do, rosin from dry ice hash is good enough for me.

4 Likes

I have a design which i will post soon, i’ve tested it and it works and can give details, later on

. but here is a pic of the early stage of it. I had to replace the DC(china motor with another)

8 Likes

Some great projects in this thread.

Been about to pull the trigger on a set of manual dry sift screens and now this has got me on the fence, wondering if I should build a tumbler instead :thinking:

1 Like

@Wizzlez we need your expertise

Dabpress makes one that I have had for about six months now.
Have made several pounds of kieff and I fuckin love it.
Makes a great product is easy to use and clean and seems very well built.
Zero issues with it so far.

I wanted to drop an idea for a small project I’ve been having here and see what people think. I see all the DIY tumblers and while I’m very sure I’m going to build a big one in a tote eventually, especially once I meet some folks who need help with their outdoor trim :sunglasses::wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s probably overkill for my current growing. I do a decent amount of tincture and edibles to give away and smoke a lot, so I don’t have huge bags to soft and I was brainstorming ways to make a tabletop sized tumbler for an ounce or so at a time. Something I can put in a cold place and run every once in a while for plant or strain-specific sift from the different plants I grow, usually only one of each strain in a cycle is flowered. And something with a final price tag under $50 to keep it fun and low-risk.

The thrifted or cheap new BBQ rotisserie motors that end up being underpowered for a large tote build and burn out should be just fine for this project, and I am figuring out the container now, but it should be simple- probably just a 1’x1’x1’ container or as close as I can find to it, like a plastic shoe bin or even a big popcorn or cracker tin. I’m going to mount the motor outside, with the shaft running inside and terminating in a metal cap epoxied onto a piece of wood, all epoxied or clamped with a wedge screw onto the drive shaft. The cap will be the female compatible end to the screw on the mouth of this $20 stainless 80 mesh/178 micron diesel fuel filter:

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=75064

I plan to coarsely hand grind by grabbing handfuls and crushing it until I can funnel in dry flower and trim through the screw neck. I’m hoping the spring inside that holds the shape will be sufficient to support the whole thing, but if not I’ll figure out a support for the other end of it. After collecting whatever comes through the 178 micron screen I’ll hand sift it from there on screens for grading. I’m hoping this will be a cheap and fun adventure into DIY tumbling and maybe a project that could be useful for microgrowers or other folks without a ton of extra space they aren’t already using for grow equipment.

4 Likes

Let me know how this turns out. I’m using art supplies…silk screen frames and clay extruder to make drys sift hash pucks.

1 Like

Hey folks, I’m just reading here for some ideas for my own Diy pollen catcher, I’ve been gathering some bits and pieces so I can put something together?

Thinking ahead I’m wondering about the conditions of the area I’m extracting in, is there any particular temps required?

Temps don’t matter but humidity does, the dryer the better

1 Like

Is anyone familiar with these pollen tumblers?

I’m considering buying one, has anyone tried them?

I just got a dapresss tumbler myself. What have you found works best as far as screen size, tumbler speed and amount of runtime?

1 Like

How are you liking it so far? Have you been experimenting yet?