Potash... when?

Hi to all,

I am making a super soil mix for future use. I have some potash which is a little course, not like a powder. Is this something that I could put into the super soil mix? If so, do i need to grind it up into a powder before doing so? Or is Potash more for treating deficiencies as they arise?

I see information about potash but can not seem to find anything on it in super soil. It seems to be something that would slow release so thought it could be used.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Most soils are sufficient in potassium. Damn near everything has it.

A soil test shouldn’t cost much and you’ll be able to save a bunch of money on stuff you might not need. Have you seen @Meesh outdoor journal?

4 Likes

Hi Budsy :slight_smile: I watched this video the other day, i thought it was interesting, the guy in the video shows how he uses actual ash from his barbecue. This is where the word “Pot Ash” is derived from. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ryiTNYneQ&t=584s I hope it helps

3 Likes

Ok, this is good to know. Thanks for that. I am a beginner in soil and organics so need some teaching :slight_smile: I can always top dress it later if required.

2 Likes

Yeah I found out about its names origin only the other day. I will give that a watch. Thanks.

Oh yeah I also have heard about throwing ashes from any fire around the garden is good.

2 Likes

This is her canna journal with the guide to soil testing and all that good stuff. We should all be doing the same in our gardens.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, i am glad you came back round to @Meesh , I forgot to add it in my reply.

I have seen a lot of her stuff already and intend to keep watching. Great work.

2 Likes

I have also decided to take the same approach outdoors on my general garden. The sand here is terrible so I have a big job ahead of me. I am thinking about starting by adding a clay mix to my existing soil or dig it all out and replace it with new soil. The entire garden.

2 Likes

I tell everyone that’s doing a big project, add a couple inches of hardwood mulch. Not the crap from the store, tho. There’s usually a tree company willing to drop a truckload off for free, or next to it.

Replacing a whole garden bed worth of soil shouldn’t be necessary. Never know who was guardians of our lands before us, tho.

2 Likes

I get about 5 loads of hardwood mulch delivered yearly. It stops weeds and makes mowing easier because I mulch all the trees. I mulch every bed. After a few years you will notice your soil improving. Before you know it, everything is full of worms.

6 Likes

the only pot ash I use is when I smoke a doobie in the garden. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously I have heard to use it sparingly as it is quite “hot”.

5 Likes

I only use it as a light top dressing right around flower for a slight boost, and as @ReikoX said it can be to “hot” for your garden so use it sparingly.

4 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the tips guys. I will be careful with it if I do use it.

1 Like

So true. My property is all waxy sand and full of rocks.I think they dumped all the building rubble from the house in the garden too. Find plenty of bricks and materials as I dig down. The soil was so bad i kept pouring all these salt nutrients in to keep plants alive until I realised what it was all about so I stopped the nutes and let everything die with the intention of conditioning the soil before I start again and no more salts.

1 Like

Potash or ash from the the fire pit is very alkaline so a little dab will do ya! I just got done with a pit fire on the 4th and it went on all my beds as a top dress scratched in and watered now would be the time of doing outdoor things are gearing up for flower mode now.

1 Like

Yeah cool. If I do go to use it at some stage I will be super careful, Less is more approach. :slight_smile: Nice to know about the alkalinity too. If I do apply it in future I will keep an eye on my pH after.

1 Like

How much do you top dress with?

1 Like

I just go by feel really a light dusting would be good my fire had probably a couple gallons and I cover (6) 4x4 beds and 1) 2x8 bed if that helps

2 Likes

Yes that does help. Thanks! At what stage of growth are you adding?

1 Like

Right now during the stretch if your outdoor prepping for the flower which cannabis needs lots of K

1 Like