Muriate/sulfate of potash? Anyone ever use it for K needs?

Does anyone have any experience with muriate or sulfate of potash?

I am building a living soil and i was told to get some muriate or potash for my K needs in the living soil. I decided to go with sulfate of potash which contains sulfur instead of chlorine (my tap water has chlorine so i decided against muriate)

My real question is how much of this stuff so i add per cuft? I cannot find any info anywhere about ratios for this amendment in living soils.

Also it seems like nobody uses this ingredient in their living soils. Not sure if i should just return it and move forward or keep it for top soil amendments during flower but then the main question that keeps arising is “how much”

6 Likes

I find it annoying when people don’t answer the question that was posed, but I can’t offer support regardinh the inputs you’re asking about.
That said, I utilize a DIY water soluble K input utilizing bio char and water. It’s a KNF (Korean Natural Farming) recipe if you want to explore alternatives for living soil fertilizers.
For a super soil pre-mix, I utilize langbeinite for an amendment.

2 Likes

This is essentially sulfate of potash just with mag in it.

I finally settled on what i am going to do with the sulfate or potash. I will add a cup maybe if my soil test low in K after mix, other than that i will use to top dress during flower.

Ive been having a rough 2 weeks with this living soil project. I was taken under the wing by a member and he was walking me through every step throughly and explaining everything along the way. On the day he was supposed to go into detail of how much of each amendment to add to my substrate the guy went radio silent and hasnt been back online in 12ish days. Really hope that dude is okay.

2 Likes

Im all ears to anything organic that doesnt have a barcode! Does this alter soil ph by any chance? Im not really too familiar with soil ph and how each amendment will alter it.
I am beginning to wonder what my soil ph will be after i mix it and what will i do if it is too high or too low? Not too sure but i need to learn before this weekend lol

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: Lol, I used it because an old school grower I know said to use it. I guess I’d rather be lucky than good :joy:

I’ll follow up later with a link to KNF resources.
As far as pH goes, the impact is negligible because the application rates are 1:1000

1 Like

Sweet thanks man. Im a newbie just trying to learn as much as i can

I’m a novice compared to @BeagleZ , here’s a link to his KNF thread! It covers every input, and you won’t find a single bar code!

2 Likes

Lol, except water soluble Potassium.
It’s super easy though: get a couple pounds of tobacco stems (sold by companies as bird nest material), and make a small batch of biochar (fill a Dutch oven with the stems so that they’re packed tightly together, put the lid on and put it in a campfire until they’re charcoal)
Then mix 1:10 with water, strain after 1 week. Voila water soluble Potassium
Dilute at 1:2000 during veg if needed, and 1:1000 during transition to flower

1 Like

@seeds2weeds greetings, do you have any worms?

Not sure there’s a correct amount of any amendment. Nutritional yeast and spirulina aren’t Cannabis specific inputs but I think they help so they’re used. The advice is to do what you feel and learn from that experience. With or without that members help you’ll be better in 3 years. So grow on my friend, grow on

2 Likes

Living soil is discussed a lot on OG. Guess it’s possible to have los without worms. But why?

I was thinking of putting some worms from my gpops garden into my living soil. Should i add live worms or just add worm castings?

If i add live worms is there anything i need to worry about?

Please add live worms and worry about what you’re going to do with all that good cannabis

How many live worms would you add to 4cuft of substrate or 12gal sip?

I use 50% potassium sulfate and 50% monopotassium phosphate as a general bloom booster. Like crack to tomatoes.

Ends up being like 0-26-43. Use a tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for general needs.

Point is, yeah potassium sulfate is perfectly fine for plants. Works great. Soluble, cheap, and a great source of K and S.

5 Likes

I do not know the amounts but I know they multiply so not too many.
Btw you can put soil in a big pot or Rubbermaid tub

add amendments kitchen scraps and worms. 2-3 months later you’ll have more worms than you’ll need and homemade castings. Living worms bring life.

Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Be careful with advice given when there isn’t enough info.
You shouldn’t just add worms to pot-grown plants, unless you have a plan to feed the worms with either compost or food scraps buried in the soil.
Additionally, if your soil dries out the worms will die.
There’s also the potential of underfed worms eating plant roots.
Finally, unchecked and well-fed, the worms will continuously reproduce until there are too many for the soil to support.
Too much organic material in the soil is just as bad as not enough.
Better IMO to use fresh castings, either purchased, or harvested from your own, separate vermicomposting setup.
Worms require an ecosystem to do their work, so it isn’t just “adding worms to your soil”.

1 Like

If they are fresh, quality castings they will likely have worms or cocoons in them. I’ve found worms in pots I’ve never placed them in before, just castings.

4 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures
Did you suggest buying castings over adding worms?

@seeds2weeds coco perlite and Jacks 321 will provide a recipe to follow. Living soil is different. Provide what’s needed for healthy soil and get out the way. You did say living soil right? Do you have cover crop?

1 Like

In pots, absolutely.
And fresh castings are superior to long term bagged.

Im planning on running a sip not sure if that makes a difference. This is my first time ever trying a living soil grow.

1 Like