Potency of Seeded Bud

Not exactly being a seed maker, I have always wondered how being seeded affects potency, if any. Assuming the plant is grown out to her potential, will, lets say, a branch off a plant that HAS been hand pollinated, be as strong as the rest of the same plant that has not been making seeds???

I will find out in a few weeks, have some exactly like that, was wondering the difference???

All of MY seed “Runs” were either un intentional, or by making “Mini’s” with cuts, and flowering them early just for seeds.
This time I decided to pollinate selected branch’s of plants in a flower run. Excited to see if it affects anything. So far, at day 47, there is no difference in appearance of the plants that have a branch pollinated, and ones that do not.

Figure people here will actually KNOW.

Peace,

Jet

9 Likes

Changes potency and taste.
I won’t smoke seeded buds when I mean seeded I mean the whole plant for breeding purposes.
If your only doing a branch or a tip per say it won’t hurt anything but what’s affected.

8 Likes

SWEET

WHAT I was hoping for!!! Thank you sir…ALSO, T.Y for sharing “special” ones to YOU!!!

:blush:

5 Likes

While I’ve only made seeds a handful of times, in my limited experience seeds do not affect potency. If anything they effect the plant to respond in a positive way and add not necessarily potency but complexity to the high. When I made my C99 hybrids I very much enjoyed smoking the seeded flowers. I never shucked em all at once, I just picked them out of the buds as I smoked on them and put them in their container. That being said, I never FULLY pollinate every pistil on the plant and have it bursting with seeds so that may change things. I usually do a 1 time controlled pollination around day 21. When I was listening to the pot cast episode with DJ short it really surprised me to learn he shared similar sentiments. I’ve never heard anyone else agree on the subject.

getting into hippy dippy territory here but would you say a human woman who had the honor to give birth to a child would have a more fullfilled life and reached her fullest potential compared to a woman who hasn’t? Personally I think so. Maybe it’s no different with the plants. I’ve seen people theorize that stressing the plants will cause the plant to respond in a positive manner just as humans do when they rise to the occasion and overcome hurdles in life. Who knows. Just some thoughts.

Could seed production perhaps trigger some hormonal or enzymatic response which alters the terpene and cannabinoid profile? hmmm :thinking:

17 Likes

Ill give my quick input.
Contact with pollen stops the main reason for producing resins. They are to catch pollen. So technically yes seeded weed is not at its max potential.
That said niether is a lot of the bud out there.
If seeded late and matured fully it will still be bomb smoke. Just never be considered higher than mid grade cause of seeds.
Ive had seeded weed that was better than some of this “loud” out there now

6 Likes

I’m not sure where you get your information, but trichomes have nothing to do with ‘catching pollen’. They’re there to protect against UV rays, insulate against cold, and discourage pests / herbivores.

18 Likes

Other than the tedious cleaning of the seeds, I have never noticed any difference whatsoever between seeded and unseeded flowers from the same plant.

Although, I have never seeded a whole plant (just select mid level branches), so I do not know if that would make any difference.

13 Likes

I’ve just pollinated a couple branches for the first time here too and the plants they’re on look identical to the non seeded others. They’re on week 7…

What’s a good way to tell when the seeds are ready? I’m sure I could rip a calyx open and look, but I’m only going to have a few here and don’t want to sacrifice any to check if they’re not done yet.

3 Likes

In my limited experience, when the bud is truly ready to harvest (nice and ripe), then the seeds will be ready. This assumes pollination occurred at an appropriate time.

2 Likes

When the seed splits the seed set they are done.

3 Likes

Regarding potency of seeded bud, in my experience there is no noticeable affect on potency. Like others, my main method is selective pollination of a few branches.

Seeding buds probably affects yield, though. It’s only logical that the energy/matter put into the seeds would normally be used to produce fatter buds. However, the seeds have more value to me (not monetary) than a bit of extra bud.

6 Likes

I think seeds could affect the potency by weight. Seeds themselves are extra mass that don’t haven’t much cannabinoid content.

But generally, I also haven’t noticed that seeds on a branch make the rest of the plant any less strong.

7 Likes

For sure. However, the vast majority of them will be mature and viable before this happens.

2 Likes

In my experiences , the only thing that was affected was the yield.

5 Likes

@cogitech @OleReynard

Good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Ok again youre right. Learn about life cycles before quoring the trichs are only there for protection

1 Like

They are sticky fingers that catch the damn dust (pollen) common sense. Yes they also protect from uv but that is not the only job.
Go read n learn something. All 10 likes of you.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I have a some-what related situation.

I’ve been growing Blue Dream indoors for a while; a couple generations of clones. Always GREAT results. I decided to try a clone outside in a 5-gal bucket. It’s been extremely hot here this summer…Today, I check her out, she got stressed and hermied on me, just on the lower, inside branches. Never has this strain shown any prior male characteristics.

My question is, how viable will the seeds be? Will they be feminized but carry the hermie trait? Should I try to collect some of the pollen or is it not worth it due to them being hermies. Will the self pollinated seeds be better/worse than pollinating a separate Blue Dream plant?

Looking for suggestions and recommendations… what’s my best option?

Herb

2 Likes

Ii shouldnt have to take all of you to school here. Honestly getting old. Dont combat what i say if you don’t know shrug yourtalking about. Not also

1 Like

Note main purpose. Now back to teaching what you dont know.

3 Likes