Preventing Critters From Eating My Outdoor Plants

they didnt eat them, they just cut them off, i didnt know they were poisonous, maybe thats why they do it. you can tell its deer by the overbite and tracks lol

btw i owe likes here, should not log in a day but thats to much reading then lol

1 Like

Poisonous to canines also

3 Likes

lolā€¦yes, and cows and cats and pigs and sheep andā€¦but we were talking about deer. Potato plants (the green parts) have the same toxins, as do a lot of nightshades. This stuff is mostly a concern for foraging animals, not pets, due to eating habits and preferred diets.

3 Likes

i have read that the tuber itself if its green like it was out of the dirt and exposed to the sun is toxic as well

1 Like

you have a nice looking garden, does the fence stop them?

1 Like

Oh, thanks! It was a good year last year.

Yes, the fence stops them because they havenā€™t truly tested it. If they test it, they might get wrapped up, but that plastic fencing isnā€™t stopping a big buck from getting over. I might weave some fluorescent orange yarn into the top part this season just to give them something else to think about.

4 Likes

I understand the sentimental attachment to music - itā€™s also the memories of listening to them with your brother (or whoever), and the time and place you were at the time. Music is very powerful. Speaking of which - some music piped in your garden may help keep those critters away

4 Likes

Haha, I never tried that.
Having grown many guerilla plots in the NE US, I found the only reliable way to stop ravenous, marauding Deer from destroying my work was deer netting (at least 6 feet high) around my cannabis plots as well as all of my non cannabis garden plots. I tried soap-shavings, moth balls, human urine, predator urine, human and dog hair, fishing line, all to no avail. Without deer netting my plants would have all been destroyed pronto.

5 Likes

Same SOPā€™s used nationwide fencing or natural treelimb barricades

About the same here. did not try soapā€¦latest thought is to put a small garden at the back the way they come from with deer delectableā€™ s in it. My Garden is in town, its a small rural town but have had phesants and turkeyā€™s and always deer. This is my veg garden i speak of. In Michigan i dont remember deer destroying my plants ,pheasants did when the plants were small one time, and i think some rat did as well.

2 Likes

Have you heard the smashing pumpkins cover? Goes from a pop sounding song to a soulful ballad. Billy Corgan is cousins with 1 of the thin lizzy guys.

2 Likes

My husband would keep a radio going in each barn to keep the Critters away :laughing:

1 Like

You must have been in a different part. Deer is why I gave up gardening. They even eat mine ā€œdeer resistantā€ plants around the house. They also drink the water out of the 100gal ā€œpondā€ 10 feet in front of my windows at ground level. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

That does not work very long, been there done that.
Only surefire way I know is a shotgun with #4 buckshot

3 Likes

Saginaw county, but when i was young there werent many deer there, lots of pheasants and bunnies though, the deer explosion happened later, same with coyotes was almost none lots and lots of fox though now the other way around

Grew up where SVSU is now

2 Likes

Hey if it has fins fur or feathers you can smoke it and eat it

Peace out and stay safe

4 Likes

Yeah we used to have no coyotes. Now they are even moving into populated areas

1 Like

Tried it with my pubesā€¦ now the neighborhood cat has a beardā€¦

1 Like

This critter here likes to eat my plants,little witch I leave the tent open itā€™s on when your dog is more Rasta than you have to step up your game

8 Likes

Turkey and the deer.

1 Like