PROTOCOL 0 "clean your plants"

now, here’s the thing about the clean room. It doesn’t have to be super special high tech. It’s a system that anyone can enjoy! Exhausts and intakes have to be screened to keep out bugs! Tape the windows closed! Make an envelope in the growing area out of a membrane like polymer sheets taped together so there are no seams. You know how someone tapes vapor barrier and staples it to the walls etc. Just do that. OK! So the final tip once you have everything half-ass sealed up - remember we’re not grinding up pathogenic human remains - just keeping out bugs, now make 2 doors on your room. Put one door inside the other like you are making an air lock. One door seals against space, the other seals against the inside - if I need to be more specific about that just ask! The final phase is the human being. So you can be a vector, not just a plant you bring in. Bugs can’t open doors…as far as I can tell. Step inside the first door, so now there is a closed door separating you from the grow. Vacuum or brush yourself off. My friend, who is doing it indoors is obsessive about taking a shower and changing his clothes before going in - can’t blame a man for being paranoid!
If you need any more details about this process - just ask me. LOL

6 Likes

crap I forgot the most important part! Print a large biohazard sign and put “PLANT BIOHAZARD” on the door to remind everyone not to go in and not to bring infected material in.

3 Likes

I got some out of focus images of what happens to the aphids when they are sprayed with BTK. Also I have an image of a hoverfly larvae looking for a snack. The larvae are unharmed by the BTK - you can see them living and eating, even while the aphids are dying.

7 Likes

You can see, those aphids don’t look so good. If you touch them, they fall off the leaf because they are dried out carcasses.

3 Likes

forgot to mention, these images are from a pepper plant in the mega greenhouse. I built a hydro system out there the size of a soccer pitch.

9 Likes

Spinosad worked for me

I had thrips and spider mites

2 applications of spinosad and poof there are no more bugs.

2 Likes

meh, yah but protocol 0 means you don’t buy anything. I am using the BTK for it’s non-toxicity to beneficial insects. lol not in my grow. In my grow I will spray absolutely nothing on my plants except water. But water has no residue so I don’t really count it as “something”.

4 Likes

I just love hoverflies and remember the day I discovered that something that looks so gross was eating all the aphids from the leaves of my carrots. The adult females go sniffing around your garden looking for the most aphids and that’s where they lay their eggs. Such amazing creatures :muscle:

3 Likes

I was looking for a way to get rid of thrips on my blooming plants, but this peaks my interest… Have any pictures of your mega greenhouse? Would love to see it.

hell, yah! Got some ripe tomatoes and peppers going on there.

hah hah you can tell it’s something I’d do, all the plants are suspended from the roof by twine in that large drip system. Organic culture in the rubbermaids using alfalfa meal, blood meal, bone meal, earwig shit. All the good stuff.

18 Likes

I suggest bare ass naked get your partner involved and have have fun in the flower tent! Lol :joy::wink::wink::wink::wink::flushed:

12 Likes

Looks good man! Wish I had the space for such a garden.

So you rigged up a drip system? It’s not the ropes you see right? Don’t see no water tank or something hooked up.
Would take a lot of time to hand water all of that…

it’s definitely a series of hoses connected into a large loop with spaghetti lines and various emitters. That stuff is back behind the rows of rubbermaids so it’s harder to trip over. Then it’s just connected to a garden hose with a pressure reducer. The more exotic systems drain water from a creek behind the house using siphon effect. That waters the potatoes and blueberries etc. That’s licensed irrigation, Canada style!

6 Likes

heh heh I unleashed the “you can’t prove that you killed the mites” logic right out of the philosophy of science. It’s an important part of ensuing the mites don’t re-emerge and destroy your crop in bloom. Lots of people spray poison X, or gas Y then think because they can’t see the mites, the mites are all dead. I’ve seen it all before… you have to see an entire crop go from clones to harvest with no mites before you can declare them dead. Thus the reason you should strip the plant down and make sure it’s clean. It’s easy to scan an entire plant 5 cm tall that is just a stick - then you are sure they are dead. Otherwise…good luck. I make no promise that anything you use can actually wipe them out. Been fooled too many times just because it worked for me, doesn’t mean it worked for other buddy. In fact, eventually the advice to poison them would always fail.

5 Likes

ok great news! There’s a protocol side loading project going on here’s the deal:
pesticide dude is willing to try a side project where he only gets his clones from a clean room right? Instead of from random turds with various pests… Who I will call the justice league :wink: anyways. So the clones will be cleaned with the following protocol, place them in a plastic bag full of water, no air and into the fridge for 24 hours. Then a rinse and into cloning. Pretty basic shit. Then when batman… or the poisoner wants clones, they will be made in the clean room then distributed to his grow. I want to see if they can actually learn when it’s really needed, instead of tossing it under the bus like always.

2 Likes

oh forgot to say I’m not in control or associated with this project, I’m just there to contamination scan the outcome. Fuck, I guess I’m still doing contamination scans after all. ICK! I had personally washed my hands of the poisoner, and won’t try to teach him anymore.

5 Likes

BTK, which is Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki - kills caterpillars, (the larvae of butterflies and moths). Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis kills the maggots of a certain subfamily of flies that includes mosquitoes, black flies, and fungus gnats. Products that contain BTI are Gnatrol, which is a powder, and Mosquito Dunks/Mosquito Bits.

4 Likes

Here’s a photo from the protocol 0 studies.

Mites anyone?
I also grew a pineapple!

It was immune to spider mites, crazy eh? I guess their tough ass leaf won’t support mite colonies.

7 Likes

The Clean Room

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey: Season 1, Episode 7

I just watched it again, that’s some excellent shit. It shows Patterson scrubbing everything and cleaning the room only to have someone open the door “hey where’s the bathroom?” lol

2 Likes

silliest goose in the gaggle

2 Likes