Pruning Shears/Snips?

They have a portable microwave oven. And, it runs on batteries :laughing:

“Take it to the work site, or a camping or fishing trip, and you’ll be able to heat up meals and drinks”

5 Likes

Lmao im thinking the same thing @Northern_Loki. My wish list just got bigger. @Dirt_Wizard man for $165 those dang things better cut thru stems like a hot knife thru butter

2 Likes

I’ve seen that microwave it’s laughable. I wonder how many uses before it dies from a full charge tho can’t help but wonder

I think it’s cool as heck. Buy why?

1 Like

Agreed. Best snipers i’ve ever owned in 25+ years.

I needed 3/4 hose from my local hydro shop and they have one of these (non-curved) hanging next to the rolls. With no effort she snipped through the 3/4 hose like butter… on checkout one of the curved units was in my pile :rofl:

4 Likes

I tell ya man I don’t like spending TOO much on knives but as a cook, they’re my tools and that break over between $1-200 is where shit gets niiiiiice, I don’t think I’d ever spend more than $150-200 max on a kitchen knife anymore, and I was never crazy about it like some people get with handmade ones, but I spent $250-350 twice on chef knives and ended up preferring something half the cost in the end. Nowadays all my favorite knives came in at a hundred or less each, the three I use almost every day are:

-a $100 North Arm Knives parer/bird & trout knife from BC made from MagnaCut steel, which is a new supersteel from Larrin who runs www.knifesteelnerds.com

-a $50 Dexter-Russell “Chinese vegetable knife” that’s basically a Westernized nakiri, made in Greenfield MA from a high carbon semi-stainless like most of their traditional knives. Dexter has made knives for as long as the US has been around basically and they have long made some of the preferred commercial Chinese cleavers, this is a lightweight stamped version with the traditional brass collar and round walnut handle

-and a Wusthof Classic 8” chef knife, after using all the other stuff I went and got one off Goodwills website for $75 and it’s fucking awesome. The newer ones (last two decades or so) are lighter and thinner than the older ones and it’s a lot better than the rep I’ve always heard about them being klunky

4 Likes

You see I totally agree with you there! I don’t work as cook even tho I have my culinary degree because it just doesn’t pay as well as manual labor jobs. Before warehouse jobs I just did construction here and there on contract bids and work with my dad since he owned his own construction company. I do really enjoy baking and was a baker for 2.5 years but unless I’m cooking meat I’m not excited about it lol. They gave us mercer knives and they were garbage. Some pople went out and started buying their own knives at school over using the provided kit. I think anyone who spend over $200 on a knife is paying for the art not the knife

1 Like

3 words Goat Hoof Trimmers.These are a very nice high carbon steel pair that can easily be resharpened.Hoof trimmers are a good in between they can go from trimming buds to shearing a stalk thats two inches wide.These are like 26$ reasonably priced full tang.There are other pairs on amazon that are cheaper that are almost as good

5 Likes

This thread is excellent!

2 Likes

Wow.
Just when I thought I escaped buying stuff from Amazon LOL…

I had been using the 5 pack or whatever amounts they give you from Amazon for $30 or the small fiskars uncoated…could be knock off.

I have like 15 pairs… they can defoliate / the ones with springs still In them

Can’t barely trim

And can’t cut a 45 off a cutting LOL

I think I cleaned them once before

Now they sit in a cardboard box :package: of 15 lonely snips…

Maybe I’ll use my late night bed time money spending impulse on some of these fancy scissors :scissors: :thinking:

Some look awful nice…

Gonna Need em for trimming…my free shipping is gone unfortunately

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

5 Likes

We use the chikamasas at work, both the curved tip and straight tip. Must have 50 pairs. Awesome snips, I really like the curved tip ones.

I also like japanese pruning scissors for some work… These are much simpler in design

For bigger shears I already own several fiskars, so I grab one of those…

5 Likes

I like these too, I got a pair of Fiskars version and they’re interesting but too clunky, those are what I want to try next, they’re often called thread nippers as well

1 Like

I also have some of these. I love them. They can be fast if you know how to use em. Though I’d say, there is a leaning curve.

Because some of us blue collar infrastructure pussies like a warm leftover meal once and a while, lol. Especially this time of year.
I mean, that’s just my guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I get my fiskars micro-tips from local hardware stores. I’ve found some others too.

Everyone keeps talking up Chikamasa or whatever. Y’all trying to convert me?
Might have to give these a try. :thinking:

4 Likes

If you can rehab old tools nothing beats vintage steel tools from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311&_nkw=vintage+hand+pruners&_sacat=37911

Website
They look like shit but they are really good and not so expensive (~15). They stay sharp (never sharpened one) a long time and the plastic isn’t drying/craking while you’re removing resin from it each time.

This one you can place it in your testament, i hate this spring system with all others but this one. I miss it as fuck.
Very well made and studied, you can have a very long day with it like no other. Clogged by resin, sap and slurry ? No problem. Cutting roots directly in soil ? No problem. End of the world ? No problem.

Website, only FR/DE/IT translation.

I’ve no longer the scale and big mothers to rationally invest, so i use a single one like this one.

3 Likes

Great thread! Love my chickamasas

2 Likes

Also a GR8 idea is to invest in a good file to point up and keep sharp, the sharper the shear will constituents less stress on the handles. :wink:

3 Likes

The Japanese pruning scissors look excellent! Will have to add them to the ever growing collection! :sweat_smile:

I also echo the chorus about Chikamasa! The best I’ve used to date!

5 Likes