Question for 20yr+growers: Hardest cultivation lesson learned?

The hardest lesson I have learned in my 35 years of attempting to grow the herb that sustains me, is that if you share your passion and growing activities, bad things happen.
:cowboy_hat_face:
I should clarify that I live in an oppressed, shithole state. Iā€™ve been ripped off more than once. Especially outdoors.

16 Likes

More can be less.

One of the worst harvests I ever had was when the plants grew too big, overtook the system, crowded the light. I was away and had left someone inexperienced looking after them and the damage was done by the time I returned.

The tops were burnt, the bottoms were underdeveloped.

I reckon it was 10% of what a normal harvest is.

4 Likes

Donā€™t put much faith in grow reports concerning long flowering sativas from indoor growers.

6 Likes

but it could have been a FIRE fireā€¦ and lose a homie too maybeā€¦ good advice, goes along with the ā€œtell no oneā€ mantraā€¦ but here we areā€¦ :wink: heh

2 Likes

True dat brother! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Been growing since around 2000 mainly outdoor guerilla grows. And you are exactly right, better to go at it alone. I have been ripped off so.many ttimes. Not just by ā€œfriendsā€ but family as well. Loose lips sink ships. Better to just find a good forum and handle the hard work yourself.

8 Likes

93, so thats twenty somthing yearsā€¦ Patience at the endā€¦ in the ealry days, like closet times, id do things like cut a single plant ealry, to clip a small bud or two early, and then dryingā€¦ like food dehydrators, microwave quickdry, oven etc. It was due to not having smokeā€¦being caught btween cropsā€¦ it wasnt til i was doing large runs that i had enough overstock, to learn patience with flwoering and with drying and with curing. So, itā€™s Patience, from waiting til peak ripeness to cut, through curing the end product.

14 Likes

Prezactly @dank-a-saurus! I learned about family, friends, neighbors, douchecanoes! :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Good luck dollā€¦ Youā€™get there as all the ones that ripped you off, will probs got nothing now and your going to do your own growšŸ˜Šbe wishing you all the best growā€¦ Mechelle x

3 Likes

ā€¦hehā€¦ it took a long time just to start labeling the plants(after doing exactly what you describeā€“thinking iā€™m the maaaan with the master memory).

ā€œwhatā€™s in your compost?ā€

ā€œMuahahahah!ā€

probably alot of sodium, damnit. :confounded:

gotta stop feeding the worms junk food :scream:

2 Likes

iā€™ve often wondered how many growers who have anxiety/ocd struggle with chasing their own fuckups & losing perspective on the grow. (i myself definitely have learned the harvest timing through repeated green chokes, heh). my solution has been to ignore pl ant counts and always have some kinda shit to mess with so i can ignore the important stuff. :thinking:

4 Likes

First ten years ā€¦

Your passion attract the business, the business destroy your passion.

^^

6 Likes

yes this is true when I got to harvesting 40 female plant every fall. it was great patience, some what easy, hard work but paid off in the end. save money when some good stuff come around had money to buy some, did not need to buy first thin that came around

2 Likes

Also, never mess about when dealing with spider mites. I did so many half measures that the only solution left was to vacate the property for six months and let them die off.

If I got any these days I would kill all my plants except for one cutting of each strain which would then get exacting and personal attention daily for weeks in quarantine. I would clean out all kit from my room and dispose of most of it leaving only walls which would get a bleach spray and a wall to wall (especially any cracks or vents) dose of something very unpleasant but which would kill mites.

If any survive that I would just move grow location for six months again.

6 Likes

Had to stop by and show some love thanks for welcoming me bro

I have been growing off and on for about 4 years and I have learned that if you have good soil then you do not need NEAR AS MANY NUTES as people would lead you to believe. Had N Toxicity many times from even small amounts of nutes. Go lightly people !!!

5 Likes

ā€¦or even any at allā€¦ :wink:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Donā€™t poke yer eyes out

3 Likes

Yes yes yes. #1 on my list. Early indoor growing lesson in the 1970s. I got my apartment broken into and every plant was stripped. I showed some friends, and they told their friends, and theyā€¦ visited when I was at work one day. I get requests to see my grows. Even though it is legal here, I politely say, ā€œSorry, noā€. As much for talking about it as for them dragging in mites.

Which is #2 on my list. Spider mites are easier to get rid of, but you have to act fast and hit them hard. Broad and Hemp Russet mites are HARD to eradicate. And you have to SPRAY IMMEDIATELY AND THEN SPRAY AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN, and ERRADICATE EVERY ONE OF THEM. Though in the early days mites were never an issue for me. Now? Spider and Broad mites have become more common. I do mite inspections every few days. With spider mites, the leaves will look like they have been hit with fine spray paint. With broad mites, the leaves will be distorted, and commonly they will pinwheel. With Hemp Russet mites, the growing tips will be distorted and the top leaves will curl. I spray if I do not see them every 10 days. If I see them, I spray every 3 days until they are gone, and then back to a 10 day spray rotation.

3 Likes

K onda gueā€¦ :wink:

Before my parents married that happened in '70 to my dad, at her apartment, except he was ripped by The Man :cop: and facing likely Folsom prison. He was jumping down whole flights of stairs when he encountered half a dozen revolvers & shotguns with badges. :astonished: Said he stopped in mid swing and held like a gymnast, knowing that if he flew into them heā€™d be dead.
Old Folsom. :european_castle:
Grandpa found a lawyer & made it go away. :thumbsup: And here I am. :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes