Best "Pest Resistant" Strains - in YOUR opinion

Hey Y’all

i’m trying to collect some data for a future project. i’m not looking for pest control products or methods. what i am looking for are YOUR (the growers, seed makers, breeders) observations over the years of growing out many different cultivars.

what, in your opinion(s), are some of the most pest resistant strains you have grown out? i’m talking about those plants that sat in the middle of an insect invasion and was the only one(s) unscathed.

for example, this year i got hit with spidermites and thrips back to back. they hit and spread through my garden rapidly, but left the blimburn super silver haze plant completely untouched, and did minimal damages to the humboldt sc og kush and garden of green candyland. everything else got chewed pretty hard.

so from my perspective:

Untouched:
Blimburn - Silver Surfer Haze

Minimal Damages:
Garden of Green - Candyland
Humboldt Seed Co - OG Kush

what are some of the strains YOU have grown out that seemed impervious to insect threat?

9 Likes

From personal experience, OG Kush, White Widow, Stardawg, Big Bud, and Lava Cake proved rather resistant to insects AND PM. Others have said Trainwreck, MAC1, and Big Jack did also. I’ve noticed Varieties with a Citrus-terp seems to deter Thrips/Spider Mites, and others. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I use neem oil. Works great. All stage except last few weeks of flower. Solves my bug issues!

1 Like

another checkmark for OG Kush.

i grew white widow 2yrs ago. it was my first year growing so i grew poorly and finished poorly that year. but, if my memory serves, i think white widow is one that escaped the spidermites.

big bud eh? one of big bud’s offspring, grandaddy purple IMO is an insect MAGNET. every time i have grown GDP, spidermites come along and feast. :frowning:
i have not grown big bud out myself.

trainwreck is on my radar. i have a pack from 2020mendocino with their “t-dub” version. been wanting to get it going, but others have taken precedence. was hoping to fit it inside after zone1 finishes up (flip to 12/12 on the 15th) but there are others that may bump it again.

never have i ever (grown/smoked):
stardawg, big bud, lava cake, trainwreck, mac1 or big jack.

i see a LOT of people talking about mac1. seems very popular to grow out and breed with.

3 Likes

lol… nope.
looking for strains. not insecticide.

what have you grown out over the years that shrugged off and ignored the worst of an insect infestation in your garden?

2 Likes

I think it’s more of a issue of how many bugs you have around rather than the genetics of the plant iv grown out side for years and never had any problems with bugs.

2 Likes

Mac1is notoriously hard to breed with. I think it’s a triploid.

1 Like

Its all good your first post said product as well after the edit or edits. I’ve ever only dealt with bugs once. So I have no info for you. And this has been over 20 years plus growing from seed. I took in cuts once and got mites worst hell ever! I wish you luck in your search

I have one for you actually when I grew one marionberry kush once outside. It didn’t have a bug on it for the longest time. Maybe ladybugs. Buy it was a great resistance

2 Likes

consider yourself lucky. this year was insectageddon for me. they tore up my grapevines, tomatoes, melons, peppers and ganja.
spinosad helped, but the damage was done.

out of all the carnage two grapevines of particular cultivars (mars and concord), one tomato cultivar (roma) and 3 ganj cultivars survived either untouched or minimal damages.

i’m inclined to think a certain way. that’s why i’m trying to collect data. prove/disprove the theory.

3 Likes

never smoked or grown it so i have no clue. i just see a LOT of talk about it on two different forums. seems popular.

1 Like

No problem man holy hell. Sounds like a freaking war. Gzz Louis. I was going to say something of spino sad never used it though

The mac1??

Caps cut mac1, apple fritter lumpy, and tk cut. Are what I had come and one came with mites. Fuck me. I saved the mac1 and fritter. Here we are 1 and half years later.

ahhh… so your infestation came in the trojan horse.
do you primarily grow indoors?

i got my main indoor spot infested last year. i brought clones inside for the winter that didn’t finish. big mistake. lesson learned. they got ALL over inside. every zone. took me a LONG time to get rid of them all. and they seem to be staying that way (knocks on wood)

1 Like

Yep Trojan horse. I grow indoors all the time. I haven’t gone into outdoor since losing tons of bud to pm and rot. No more outdoor for a long time. Only indoor. Also I only ever brought clones in once. And that happened. I sealed off the room and 100% ozone it with a ozone generator for 6 days. Electrostatic sprayed every inch of the room with bleach. Then neem dunk for cuts and neem for everyday… I saved the mac1 and fritter

2 Likes

But man was it a hard battle.

it was. worst insect plague ever this year. veggies/fruits and ganj.

i have been doing my outdoor gardening at this house for 6yrs now. introduced the ganj 3yrs ago. i ran into insects this year i had never seen or heard of. they just decided to come and munch and breed. we had a VERY hot and dry summer. no rain for 3 months. my garden was lush and green and dealing well with the heat. took about 2 weeks to get wrecked. thrips, spidermites, leaf hoppers, caterpillars…

it was the klendathu drop all over again…

3 Likes

Fuck man that’s terrible :disappointed:

so it was kind of hard not to notice plants in the middle of all the carnage untouched. like the bugs didn’t like the smell or flavor.

that’s why i’m wondering if anyone else has run into strains that seemed impervious to bugs.

1 Like