Question regarding Water

Have any of you experimented with how the temperature of water might impact growth? Or seen such research?

This thought came to me when I used warmer water on the plants (soil). What I’m wondering is if, like in the manner ph impacts the plant’s ability to uptake nutrients, does the temperature of the water used impact the plant? I’m not talking boiling or nearly frozen but cool vs warm/hottish.

My bro science side wants to believe warmer water helps in some way but this is in fact based upon nothing.

What do you think?

3 Likes

I have used cold straight from the tap and room temp from a bucket. No obvious differences.

I imagine the more extreme your temps the more extreme the results

2 Likes

I wonder about the temp in conjunction with ph; such as - does consistent use of warm/hottish water when watering impact the plant’s ability to uptake nutrients quickly.

My city water dept says water comes out the tap at 7.0 - which it does on cold. I haven’t checked for hot but I don’t imagine much difference.

Hot water becomes room temp water pretty quickly.

I’d say warm rain, cold rain, no real difference but that’s my gut.

2 Likes

Water to hot or to cold can cause stress to your plants. The correct temperature to feed your plants is 68-72 degrees.
It would have to be extreme to cause the stress so I doubt anyone would put ice water or boiling water to feed. But yes there is an ideal temperature.

5 Likes

I have read stuff in different media that supports what Oldjoints is saying,but have heard of ice water being used late late flower

From what I understand at the ideal range there is more oxygen available in the water for the plants.
Never heard of ice water being used, interesting though.

1 Like

I agree with OJ. 68 to 72 is perfect root temp. A little bit either way is no problem but optimum is optimum. I water at “room temp”. Think about natural rain it’s not usually real hot or real cold and when it hits the ground it’s buffered by the soil temp.

1 Like

https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-ice-water-full-darkness-cannabis-n1873

https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-boost-trichome-production-before-harvesting-cannabis-n1822

http://marijuanamythbusters.com/2011/10/25/chronicology-101-will-ice-water-turn-pot-purple/

both sides of the story

2 Likes

I have tried the 72 hrs of darkness before harvest and saw no difference in trichrome production what so ever…

1 Like

yeah I have tried 48 and 36 and couldnt tell, but I have never done it side by side with clones, While i saw no improvement in what i did until i test with clones one in the dark one normal I am keeping it open…but I wont put much effort, The Ice water i was also “told” can help purple to come out…never tried it

(Off topic but)

If you want purps I’ve found two things that work

1)genetics

2)drop nighttime temperatures

The last two weeks of my outdoor New England grow this year. Night time temps in the 50s

5 Likes

Heat is my enemy, I cant drop night time low enough, I run opposite my day is the real night, and the way we heat and cool the house, its just to costly for me , I basically grow for my wife and I. I gift some to another vet i know here and to friends and relatives in Mich when i am there. So cost matters to me so no split ac.

I have had purples, genetics but until something changes 67 is abnout as low as i can get in the plants night.

1 Like

I try to water/feed my plants in containers (ProMix HP or BX- with added perlite and vermiculite), only with water that has been allowed to attain the matching ambient temperature of wherever my plants are (indoors or out). Particularly on hot days outside, I always let my water jugs sit in the same area (not in direct wickedly hot sun) as my plants are. If I have plants out under the hot summer sun, I just don’t think that it’s a good idea to pour much colder water on roots in containers out under the direct sun when the temps are 90 plus degrees. So, I simply try to match the water temps to the container’s root temps.

When I initially read (around 25 years ago) about the alleged benefit of giving plants an elongated dark period before harvesting, I tried it a few times and quickly quit doing it because I noticed zero advantage.

Bro science on parade IME.

2 Likes

I sadly dont have a link to share but a commercial op did run tests on 12, 24, 36 etc darkness before harvest. They did lab tests and found that the longer dark = more THC production but terpenes degraded at the same time. So there was a “sweet” spot for max thx / terps but we’re talking 1 to maybe 2% increase and again, as usual, strain dependent. So maybe not of much use to a home grower.

2 Likes

I don’t know about whether the temps help or hurt, however I do know that in Pueblo , where they grow literal tons of recreational marijuana it gets awfully hot during summer. Like close to a hundred degrees. They use cool water to water the plants, and I have heard that commercial growers say that keeping the roots cool is paramount to having healthy plants in hot weather.

2 Likes

have been told similar. no proof either way though

1 Like

I do think the smoke is slightly smoother with the dark period. I usually use 36 hours. I have chopped with and without it from the same strain. They were from seed and not clones, so there was some plant differences.

3 Likes