Reversal of Bonsai Mother with 8 different strains grafted together

Yeah… my first reaction to the OP was “damn, that’s cool… but why?” and then had to come up with a halfway decent reason, just the way my brain works… or more often, doesn’t. :stuck_out_tongue: Still, very cool mad-science experiment.

4 Likes

I understand what ever strain i reverse will act as the male/pollenator. im going to be using colloidal silver to reverse it. Using colloidal silver allows me to selectively choose brunches i want to reverse.

For example. If I really like the Blue berry. I could reverse only one branch of that, then collect the pollen. Then pollenate what ever bud i want with it. i could even pollenate a different bud on the blueberry branch that was not reversed.

So in theory i could cross what ever strain i want with any strain on the plant. If the reversals are seccessfull and accurately controlled. It would be extreamly time consumming to label everything but if i had enough bud sites i could possibly reverse one branch of every strain and collect the pollen. Then ferilize a seperate bud on each strain with every pollen creating alot of different cross. In the first generation at least…and i do understand i wouldnt be able to produce a seed with more the 2 genetics. In the first generation.

2 Likes

i love this thread especially cause it has me scratching my head. :yum:

2 Likes

Mind Blown, had a pecan tree graft in my yard as a kid, bottom was golden oak, wildest until this.! Spectacular work there Dr.

1 Like

Instead of reversing this plant, you should pick a super female plant that isn’t one of these strains, reverse it, and let that pollen fly on all of these so you end up with 8 different crosses with absolutely known parentage.

Just my take.

8 Likes

@Andrane

2 Likes

Cross pollination is going to be difficult to control with such a plant.

3 Likes

Well, that’s the best thing since sliced bread and instant coffee!!
:sunglasses: :+1:
I’ve heard of such a beast but I’ve never seen one…

You really need to explain the process, is it the same as with fruit trees? How long does it take to establish? Has anyone tried growing one outside to see if the root-stock transfers resistances?

WOW, that is really cool…

Cheers
G

5 Likes

This was my first thought as well. Plus it’ll look cooler if it gets to grow all buds without the male flowers/silver making it an unsmokable mess. Its gonna be awesome though whatever he decides.

I’ve been trying to graft, and they seem to make it a week or so before either drying out or suddenly damping off depending on if I have the lid on to much or not enough. I kinda gave up until I can get a more stable chamber to try again. My plan has been to graft autos on to photos to see if they flower or not. If not, it would be great for breeding autos and getting to keep/reuse stellar moms.

3 Likes

That looks like it would be a nightmare to flower. From the limited growing experience I have I’ve seen a huge difference in how different strains react to the same nutes, I can’t imagine it will be easy or perhaps even possible to keep every one happy.

I wish you the best of luck though and am going to grab a seat and watch quietly

1 Like

I have to agree with this, sounds way simpler this way.

Regardless of what you choose to do @Andrane, this is legendary! Good luck :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

As I said, the grafting won’t give you anything other than another strain growing on the ‘host’ plant. Just like the ‘6-7 fruit tree’ you can buy. Also hitting this same plant with the CS is going render it unsmokable and to make all them years of work be for nothing. To hit that lovely Bonsai with CS is almost sacrilege lol
I’d do as @Zolorp suggested and pollinate it from another plant. You wouldn’t have any ‘hermie’ seeds that way
But, hey, it’s your plant and plan, grow it like you mean it cuz! Nothing but good growing vibes in the air for ya!

6 Likes

Wow! Really nice!! Wanna see where this will get! Congrats @Andrane!!

1 Like

I could see using grafting to save plant numbers with like a regular pack of seeds you want to do an open pollination with. You could clip off the males after and get something you could still smoke after pulling out the seeds.

2 Likes

Very nice job. So you are going to reverse the grafyed plant producing 8 strains feminized pollen and what you hitting with the pollen. Definately very interested in how this plays out.

1 Like

Nice work on the grafting and the plant looks great as well :+1:

1 Like

I’ve done some apple tree grafting but nothing like this! After recently getting into pollen chucking, I realize just how hard it is to control application. I like the idea of a single pollen donor for surety of your cross, but you’re the mad scientist and I’m happy for the show. Cool stuff!

1 Like

that would be a cool experiment to see but from everything I’ve read the auto will flower but I’ve also read some stuff that claimed the auto flowering trait was tied to the roots somehow I dont remember now what I read or where good luck would love to see how you make out

Bliss

1 Like

Really cool! Thanks for sharing this grow!

1 Like

The chemical that controls the flowering processes is produced in the leaves. Therefore you can not graft autos and expect it not to flower. Most likely possible to graft but not effective for anything except maybe for fun.:wink:

1 Like