Root aphid organic fix

Seems I was mistaken. I thought they just liked roots. So I don’t have to remove the old roots.

Mind you, just Googled fungus gnats, “fungus gnats eat - They eat organic mulch, leaf mold, grass clippings, compost, root hairs, and fungi”

1 Like

It’s the good stuff

Basalt along with azomite?

Looks like it huh, some cool shit I’m learning tonight.
These people are wonderful to work with. Saw them talked about in farmers almanac.
https://www.arbico-organics.com/
Bottom of page is info center - Tell me that ain’t killer.

1 Like

Interesting site. Again with the, “Let the plants dry out” thing. If I do not water ever two or three days my plants wilt.I have a lot of plant for the pot size I guess.

They wilt so that when it rains, water ascends to close to roots.
When too wet they put fan leaves all the way out and up.

That isn’t even remotely close to true lol. They wilt because they are unable to maintain turgor pressure.

1 Like

Science is good, I see the factual information that backs your post.
Turgor pressure and cellular strengthening, an interesting day of gathering some facts.
Thanks for the info
Now, due diligence -
Scientific Reports had this:
On the other hand, stomatal closure was also observed as a coping mechanism for plants to inhibit drought stress associated with the release of root chemicals22, loss of leaf turgor, and low humidity23.

Q.- So when plants wilt (Stomatal Closure) , there closing is a “Coping Mechanism” associated with
1.- “Low Humidity”
2.- release of root chemicals
3.- loss of leaf turgor
Is this closer to the proper description, I obviously should have used?

Forgot link to article I probably don’t understand but seems to help.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-78893-z

So now I am confused. Is it a good thing or bad thing for all my leaves to droop?

1 Like

# observational evidence - it’s natural, it’s good if you see it, because it is your work that makes it so. In your case it would seem you already have the answer, too small of a pot.
I have used aeropots since they came out, you won’t regret trying one sometime, kinda magical!

Found the OG FAQ’s section, Found article I had seen on tobacco tea, thought I’d share.

But would they not dry out faster with the fabric sides?

1 Like

Damn brain says Aero when its air-pot, me dumb doh.
https://air-pot.com/garden/

Would there not be more of a problem with root aphids with all those holes to get into?

1 Like

If Inclined you could ask that with that company and post answer here would be huge contribution to FAQ’s, maybe.
I just sent my contact info and asked them.
@bunny
Default response to get back with me, but a link:

Dr. Bronners is the soap.
Been using it for thirty yrs., got almost all the dirt off!
@bunny
Update from them:
We have been selling this system for over 25 years and I have never heard of this being an issue.
I have seen people put tights over the pots to stop anything from burrowing in. This is usually when growing indoors.
Kind regards
Dougal Gordon

I did something like that with a laundry basket that has holes in the sides.

2 Likes

Watered it two days ago. The others in front of it were dry but I missed seeing this one as my veg tent is full and I only can see the tops of the plants.

2 Likes

Well so far I have top dressed all of my pots with neem seed meal, diatomaceous earth and azomite. Within a few days I’m seeing some pretty cool fungal growth on the surface of my pots with dead aphids in the fungal hyphe! Seems like I created some sort of reaction maybe with the neem or azomite. Super cool, plants already looking way happier and not seeing any aphids flying near pots. Will continue with this method. Next will apply kelp aloe karanja and clinoptilolite (silica). This is why I love Organics!

2 Likes

Hey @ReikoX

I wanted to ask if you happen to have Coots recipes for the drenches and foliars? If not any suggestions? Curious about amounts of each ingredient. For the soil drench, not sure if I should use the oil or the meal. Appreciate any help.

From my notes:

Neem Oil Foliar:
4 teaspoons of Neem Oil
2 teaspoons Pro-TeKt
1 gallon water
1/4 cup aloe Vera juice before spraying

Neem/Kelp Tea:
1/2 cup neem seem meal with 1/4 cup kelp meal bubbled in 5 gal water for 24hrs

I keep the cloth bags worms are shipped in and use those to put whatever I’m bubbling in so it stays contained.

3 Likes

Thank you, @ReikoX !

1 Like