Roots organic soil

Who here uses roots organic soil? Im a fox farm ocean forest guy which is great for photos but im planning on just autos for my next grow and fear ocean forest will be a bit strong. It really important autos get off to a good start.

I also considered fill the bottom half of the grow bags with ocean forest and top half with a milder mix. Any auto flower guys have any tips?

5 Likes

Hey @anon81143130, I have yet to grow autos, but I DO use RO 707 mix exclusively! I like it and have used FF Ocean Forest, and just didnt like the excessive bark and woody bits that IMO should be more composted than they are. I have also noticed that FF is a bit hotter than my 707. I actually use a 4 part mix with the 707 being my “light” soil part, (others use BIO BIZZ LITE MIX as their soil part), and then another part PERLITE and then I use worm castings as the 3rd part and I then add the fourth part as COCOGRO from BOTANICARE, I like it cuz its a thoroughly washed coco substrate and it adds more soil structure…

Don’t know if this helps, but the 707 soil is a nice lite mix that MAY offer a less “hot” soil for ur autos!

Good luck!

5 Likes

Cut it with pro mix, that’s what I have done in the past. Or just pro mix, they will get hungry if its just pro mix. You will needs some nutes mainly cal mag. Last run of autos I did were half pro mix, quarter verm, quarter perlite. Now that is the soil mox I use because of the price for ocean forest and happy frog.

5 Likes

Does the vermiculite and perlite together work better than just one of them by themselves, you found?

4 Likes

I find it makes for more or less of effort for the roots to grow, and it sure seems to have sped up growth. Someone suggested to add some so I figured I’d give it a go and now I’m on my third cycle, first were fem autos, second reg autos[currently budding]. And this last are moms, that I will be cloning off of for photo period in the flower room. I’d say it helps, at the very least it has so far. It’s a really airy mix.

4 Likes

Looks like roots has a nice base and probably wouldn’t need to feed anything for a good month. You guys think I would still want to add to it? Is this stuff primarily coco, peat or 50/50 mix?

3 Likes

I’ve made Subcool’s supersoil using cheaper soils as a base and Roots is a better product by far.

4 Likes

I prefer the Roots Original as it’s good for about 3 weeks out of the bag.
Doing a transplant between veg and flower it resets the 3 week clock so to speak.
For flower add twice the volume of soil to carry an extra couple of weeks.
Without adding teas (I like the Aurora Teas they also make) will start fading
fast about week 5-6 when you really want them to fatten up.

4 Likes

Sounds like I’ll be making the switch…thanks fellas

2 Likes