Rosin vs Shatter..here's my review

So I want to share my story and hopefully help others make a educated decision of they are looking to purchase a Rosin press and are wanting to know if its worth it and how it compares to shatter. Simple answer is Rosin is a better product overall and the press is worth every penny, the very best Rosin is substantially better then the very best shatter. Much brighter stronger taste and a harder hit, slightly more lung tickle but controlling dab temperature settles that down, where butane holds its own is in the processing of lower grade trim and other leftovers, pressing is only really good if your using high quality materials… In order to process lower grade trim with a press I would make bubble hash or dry sift then press that product.

I have been a long time consumer of Butane Shatter and a few months ago decided to purchase a Dab Press rosin press, I was skeptical at first as not many locals i know have tried proper Rosin and those that did didn’t have anything nice to say so I was pretty worried the juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze and that I was wasting money on another contraption. I have been using Butane for a couple of decades and had the process down to a science and was very happy with the product, I actually believed the Rosin was going to be a downgrade but I was willing to take the step due to the legality issues of butane along with the fire risk and ongoing cost. Long story short is that I was blown away with how much more I liked Rosin as opposed to shatter, It smells way better, it’s more potent and if you dab at the right temperature the flavor is out of this world . Exactly how the bud smells is how the rosin tastes, if the bud had a blueberry smell the Rosin tastes like Blueberries, if the bud smells like citrus the rosin tastes like citrus., it is is bloody unbelievable how the flavor comes thru dabbing rosin… I have been growing better part of the last 30 years and I felt like a kid at Christmas when I discovered Rosin. I have even mixed 2 different bud profiles into setup and squished out a hybrid profile, last one was Citrus-Trainwreck , the results were stellar, super tasty and tear your face off potent.

So long story short is if you want the very best product to dab and don’t mind using quality material then without question a Rosin Press is the way to go, however if your just looking to process lower grade materials and trim then I would stay with Butane, unless of course you don’t mind the added step of sifting the lower grade material before pressing.

I am finding that a quartz banger works the best, I get it glowing red hot on the bottom, then count to 28 seconds before II take the dab…the flavor is out of this world and the hit will make even the heaviest smoker weak in the knees. Right now I am dabbing a press of a super tasty purple grape/fruit punch type bud… super sweet and tasty with a pungent fermenting fruit aroma …in nearly 30 years of smoking weed I have never experienced flavor this strong, this pure short of those fake E-Cig thing s that are all jacked up on artificial terpenes, that a Rosin pressed from dried flowers can have this much flavor is unreal, I had no idea…

I will come back and update this post with some photo’s of my press and the product ( Dab Press 10 ton )

P.S. I have seen some people saying you can use a Sulphur burner in flowering to control PM, I have to strongly disagree, especially if you plan to make contrates, the sulphur taste will 100% carry over and ruin your product .

15 Likes

I agree 100 %. Personally I would not go within arms distance of BHO, let alone smoke it , oh HELL TO THE NO!!!
Tried it once, tasted like Butane and chemicals compared to my pressed Rosin.

Rosin press for the win.Nice write up and explanation !!!

6 Likes

Thanks for the info…

2 Likes

Never had BHO for the reasons jetdro mentioned.

I sure do love my press though.

Found 4"x4" plates from an Instagram user for $250. Has two heating elements and a temperature probe on top and bottom plates.

Picked up a Dake 10T off Zoro for like $370 and got an additional 20% off cause I complained cause some paint was chipped in a couple spots.

$550 a lot cheaper than a proper blast rig.

6 Likes

High 5 has their old original manual 1 ton press on close out at 199 bucks!!! Same one I paid 300 for 3 years ago and still use

4 Likes

I’ve pressed my fair share of rosin. :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

5 Likes

You sure as Hell do!!!

1 Like

Have never tried… :disappointed:

2 Likes

Tappy get yourself a cheap hair straightener and give it a go , you’ll be hooked ! You’ll be buying a press guarantee once you taste the nectar .

3 Likes

I would concur as well.

I’m a believer. Just did a dab of my SLH minutes ago.

5 Likes

My 1st dab was in Colorado at a big convention like thing. 100’s of people around, a company was offering free dabs. Killer rig set up, 10 different types to dab!!

Decided to try some. 1st hit was tiny (I didnt know what to expect) and caught a nice rush from it!!! Go back in for a 2nd one, took a HUGE hit.

Holding it in, heading through the crowd to where my GF was sitting on a couch. Felt my head spinning, started rushing for the couch, lol. Blew it out, MY WORLD WENT BLACK…face planted on GF 's lap on the couch!!!

OMG…LMAO!!!

As I come to(5 seconds) I see a strange woman in my face, right in my face. Was the “dab girl” who followed me, KNOWING I was gonna go down, LOL!!!

I saw her face, didnt know her, and saw her lips moving, but heard only RINGING!!! LOL>
Looked square at her said “Who the fuck are you??”" 100 people erupted into laughter!!!

I hit it 12 more times that night!!! Only that 2nd hit put me down!! Now I can smoke them all day long and be fine, you build tolerance QUICKLY to them

@MBVapester

6 Likes

I had some shatter from the states. Was from some a commercial op, supposedly quite big and fancy. Was very nice, great taste but not much better than my own rosin. Tried some local made BHO and it was horrid. Never smoke that again.

1 Like

BHO sucks, I will not touch it, the pressed is so much nicer. I picked live Rosin to dab when i fell down

2 Likes

Haven’t done any live Rosin before. Was wanting to try make some but never got around to it. Never made keef before either so the whole dry ice thing would be new for me. Wonder how much of a difference there is to just normal rosin

2 Likes

I pressed about 20g of kief from my trim bin after my last harvest, is that considered live rosin? It seemed a little sappy, I’m going to let it age for another couple days before trying it.

2 Likes

I have not tried Live Rosin either…

and just so we are on the same page

Live Rosin and Rosin are two different things…

Live means that fresh undried flowers have been processed( Bubble hash ) , then after processing the " Live" hash is dried, then once its dried its pressed… at the higher end the live bubble hash is dried using a freeze dryer.

Rosin is made from product after it has been dried , this is what I am doing with my press, taking dried and cured buds and pressing them…

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve also seen people make keef with dry ice using fresh flowers and then squishing that. They also called it live rosin but some people call it frozin.