Extraction methods .. most efficient and most usable?

Hi,

I am considering my options on creating tinctures ( directly of by creating extraction first )

I wish to keep (as much as possible ) of goodies (cannabioids, terpentines…) usable (within extraction)

I have ruled butane extraction out due to risk of explosion & other issues…

At this point I am considering green dragon extraction (dissolving to alcohol-and water it is mixed with- 40% vol. ? 80% vol. ? (- or 80 or 160 proof?? ). And Rosin press method. (high pressure – lowish temp ) … lets put something to nail things down a bit… 10 metric tons pressure for 1 sq.inch ( 6.5 cm2) @ 160F or 70C … that should be fairly big while not ‘big ass’

What would be the difference in total amount of goodies extracted between these methods? I do understand that rosin press will have big swings depending on pressure used (see follow up questions). Try to word what you refer to -the low end (hair curl) and/or high end ( big ass press) in your comparison.

Please do post your view - preferably with notes on what do you base your view on on this matter.

Second… Dose anyone have scientific research or similar hard facts regarding the properties of each method and how then affect the process and efficiency (and/or terpenes) ?

I mean things like temperature in dissolving to alcohol. Time allowance for dissolvment to alcohol(and water). pressure in rosin. temperature in rosin.

Thanks for reading and sorry for spelling errors and weird structures – non native speaker and flue is bugging me.

1 Like

Greetings @enomuumi!

Be sure to check this out.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly!! this thread was referred in ohter ticture thread (I used reiko recepie to…) … I had not yet looked for it … will read it shortly!!

I posted a question about ‘flower potency %’ to reikos thread. To best of my knowledge adverticed thc% ARE NOT weight % !!

… I quoted this piece here because it states the extraction efficiency @ ~75% … so now we have some numbers on that…

3 Likes

One of the best threads on our site!
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Few notes for myself and others interested on topic…

List of methods:
butane extraction - ruled out due to fire/ explosion hazard.

Solvent, ethanol (alcohol) 75% eff on one run.
Solvent, oil

Rosin press - I did look up few manufacturers up but none made any claims on extraction efficiency on any of their products.

ISO ( The cool part about those is doing the reflux extraction for a complete extraction. ) … very big claims of 100% extraction … I am bit skeptical on this and I do challenge (no … I have not written them … yet) salesperson making this claim to make the extraction and take the left over plant mater and do few border crossings with it. IF it indeed takes out 100% there should not be anything illegal left. Right? … yes… I am bit mean when someone makes huge claims like that… ( info from reiko thread linked above)

2 Likes

@enomuumi With rosin presses, the technique makes the biggest difference in efficiency. Some people take into account atmospheric conditions like temp and humidity, but I dont know the results of those factors.

With ISO, your efficiency is going to be idnntical to ethanol. The 75% you’re attributing to ethanol is on purpose to produce a first run that is mostly cannabinoids but (hopefully) very little chlorophyll and waxes. The buds are minimally broken apart and run cold with emphasis on a short extraction time.

The extra 25% that the large producers extract contain ~99% of the all of the soluble compounds in the entire plant. The ISO technique you’re thinking of will produce a thick near-vantablack oil that’s processed a second time to remove all the goodies and leave behind the sludge. The buds are shredded to maximize surface area, the amount of solvent is increased, and temperature isn’t as big of an issue.

4 Likes

One thing I noticed is that different methods use different specification on extraction efficiency. … as far as I can de-cypher things.

people who do rosing talk of 20 % … they mean ( extrat / total plant matter put in ).

I guess the 75% in ethanol extraction is ( amount of goodies extracted / total amount of goodies in plant matter - NOT taking into calculation the bulk plant matter) … I assume same with ISO.

3 Likes

Your rosin returns will be proportional to the THC content of your flower. If you run some low thc material you will get low returns. But if you squish drysift or bubble you will have near 100% returns

2 Likes

This calls for its own chapter in oleskool’s Big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge. Thanks!!
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

How does Rosin taste compared to butane shatter… I was at a local grow store and the fellow working there was pretty against the rosin saying the flavor was poor comparatively …I have been eyeing up a Rosin press but I am a little worried the the resulting product won’t be as enjoyable as the shatter… Can anyone here give me a comparison between the two ?

2 Likes

I use methanol for my extracts

https://blog.restek.com/?p=3018

2 Likes

Just like everything in life, garbage in + garbage process= garbage out. Quality product + quality/refined method= quality end results. No matter how much you polish a turd it will never shine

4 Likes

I take that as a given, thank you ! However that doesn’t answer my question… how does Rosin taste next to BHO if both are done properly using good material… I have heard rosin doesn’t taste as good and you have to be much more careful with temperature

2 Likes

Unfortunately that fact has been proven false, but I understand the terminology. Just thought I’d add that myth busters did make a shiny mirror surface on a turd to prove that fact false.

1 Like

Yes it’s true. If you don’t go low temp you’ll usually end up with a toasty taste that’s less potent than it could have been. Try a press at 180f and another at 220f. That small difference make a decent tasting oil and the slightly higher temp makes a almost reclaim in the end. Low and slow always are the better option with the exception of ethanol if you want to avoid chlorophyll. Personally outside of oil to dab I like chlorophyll. It’s a good anti-inflammatory and my hands always need something for my developing arthritis.

2 Likes

Touché… guess that falls into the ‘where there is a will there is a way’ category.

2 Likes

what ive learned about extraction
spend the money on good filters/strainers/syringes/bags
spend the money on high accuracy and reliable heating devices or temperature reading devices
spend the money on a good solvent/carrier if you choose to go that way
if you do cold extraction, make sure it stays cold from the beginning to processing to end
use jars or storage devices that actually seal properly
look into getting some kind of vacuum assist

syringe stuff.pdf (662.2 KB)

2 Likes

personally, I’ve found that rosin doesn’t work as well for me medicinally because of the inherent decarbing the material undergoes during the heat pressing extraction process, and possibly because this method does not retain the structure of the resin glands.

I use frozen food grade ethanol (everclear) extracts. I either use fresh frozen sugar leaf and smalls, or frozen dried and cured material. Purity is better with the dried material, while terpenes are stronger in the fresh frozen live resin batches.

3 Likes

If you can get it liquid nitrogen helps process fresh material into live resin oil. I can’t remember the specific details rn as I’m 4 beers in rn, but I’m sure @ReikoX has discussed it before.

1 Like

Sorry, then whoever made the rosin did it wrong. I’ve had my rosin tested and it is less than 1% activated.

2 Likes