Running UVC in a tent with LED, is it ok?

I wanted to run my UVC bulb for an hour before putting in some plants. do I need to remove the LEDs (s33, board stye grow lights) or can i just turn them off when i run the UVC?

thanks.

4 Likes

No problem with that, it’s just dangerous for you so make sure you’re not exposed to it … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

this is going to be in a tent in a garage. there is exhaust into the garage attic. it’s pretty sealed up downward and what goes into the attic should vent out the roof.

is ozone heavier or lighter?

do i need to turn off the exhaust fan while i run the UVC?
it does produce ozone.

or, should i let it run for an hour, then open the garage and turn on the exhaust?

you should not expose yourself to the uvc light because it can cause a cancerous reaction on your skin.

on a scale of danger with uv lights, if uva is 10, uvb is 100, and uvc is 1000.

it can also permanently damage your eyes.

4 Likes

As others have noted, be really careful with UV-C. It is not a blacklight. In commercial use, fixtures are usually enclosed and interlocked to prevent exposure to the UV.

The photons are energetic enough to create Ozone by breaking apart atmospheric oxygen (O2) which then recombines with other oxygen (O2) molecules to create O3. Imagine what it could do to soft tissues such as the cornea. Ozone is also not great to breath.

Ozone is a great disinfectant since O3 is quite reactive. In conjunction with UV-C, it’s double action. But be thoughtful about it’s use and purpose.

11 Likes

That sounds like some scary ass bulb :bulb:, wow :open_mouth: you are a brave soldier man. Please be careful. :sunglasses::crossed_fingers::v:

5 Likes

so, i ran it for an hour in the tent. it was either unplugged or completely inside the tent when in use. i turned the fans off before leaving the garage. came back after 1.5 hours. unplugged it. then plugged the exhaust fans back on. waited for a while with the garage door open a bit, then opened it up.

no issues i don’t think. i need to run this on my two dry tents now.

3 Likes

That is the Way of it. Once you recognize the unique smell of Ozone, you can tell when it has all been properly vented. I don’t know how large your garage is, or what UVC light you are using, but 1.5 hours should be a long enough exposure.

Here are some specs from my 25 watt bulb.
-Grouchy

6 Likes

I keep wanting to try this. Great info @GrouchyOldMan

2 Likes

Can everyone tell me their thoughts on products like this? I know a few of us use them.
@GrouchyOldMan comes to mind.

Obviously, they will kill things(like plants). I’m hoping pollen as well, lol. Also, ozone is probably not good to breathe.
But, what’s your protocol?
Would/do you use a product like this?
Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!
:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the relocation @G-paS.
I knew it had been discussed. I know better than to not use the search feature! Silly me.
Now…the real question:
Pollen! Will I kill it?
:thinking:

1 Like

Hi @blowdout2269,

I don’t think it will “Kill” pollen, but pretty much every other living thing should be “deactivated” with the proper use of Ozone from a UVC bulb. Only for use in an empty tent or room because it will kill your plants along with everything else!

My room is about 600 sqft and I leave the bulb running for an hour and then run the 6" fan for an hour to exhaust all the Ozone outdoors. I do this in between every grow along with some other sanitation routines and I haven’t had a pest problem in well over two years now.

The bulbs are inexpensive and you can tell by the unmistakable ozone smell that they are working. The only downside I can think of is that you really need to get the gas outside after use. It’s not really poisonous, but it attacks anything organic, including your skin and lungs if you let it.

Regards,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

Thanks bud.
I actually just recently bought the same bulb.
I’m currently going through a hard reset after a recent pollen contamination. Not to mention a thrip battle, lol.
I will be using a combination of the bulb and a good scub.
Why “kill”…?
If it attacks organic matter and can ruin plants, why wouldn’t it destroy pollen?

1 Like

Good point, given enough concentration and contact time I bet it would deactivate pollen. I rely on water for that job usually and you’ve got that in your plan.

1 Like

Yeah, I had a serious containment breach!
And after taking down the Purple Lamborghini male last night, I can see why! Lol.
I gotta get this handled this weekend.
I’m planning on a big photo run.
Hey @GrouchyOldMan, is it the light or the ozone that attacks organic material?

1 Like

As I understand it, in air it excites the molecules and creates ozone, in water that same high energy light breaks down organic matter directly.

1 Like

Yeah I’m in full deep clean mode over here.
Bleach, ISO, UVC, ozone…whatever!
Thanks buddy.
Btw, as soon as I’m sure about clean, I’ll be starting that Siberian Ruderalis project.
Probably a month from now.
I haven’t forgotten about ya. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Your welcome. It helps folks with all this good info in one spot.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Just extra FYI…

https://www.cdc.gov/air/ozone.html

This thread reminded me of the Ozone generator I had in my hot tub in late 90’s