UV information

I’ve been using UV for a while now with varying levels of success, I’ve recently seen insane claims to increase in THC and such. I will admit I’m very limited in knowledge as it’s only been a few runs and I only have a few good friends trying it as well to compare to. I would love to see everyone’s findings on this matter. image
Currently I am running them the last 10-14 days of the flower cycle, running them on 15 minutes on/30 minutes off cycles for 3 hours per day. I have them on during the middle of the light cycle to simulate peak sunlight. I experience extreme increases to flavors, oils and resin production and what I think is an increase in trichomes but it’s all here say without proof. Any and all info is greatly appreciated and I believe this will help many as I’m constantly being asked about this.

12 Likes

Can you post a link to the light your using…

1 Like

Sure can this is the supplemental bulbs I’ve been using but I also have a built in led UV bulbs on my RayonLED GLMF720w . I do believe the supplemental helped a lot. There is even a 10% discount with the code I linked at solacure.com

3 Likes

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjq8PKgs6D2AhX65uMHHQ_-A7YYABABGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.ca&cid=CAESWOD2Md5grA-lQFKfWCxUanVVPAKCUZIvqugwsuNSlyoxF7lAdUYf6dLXnjTbj0h5IcFgdRyWtJeK53mej7p9HK_R8O2Ezvr8sWxXs5Q5hBrLnzAvRqh7hWA&sig=AOD64_0R3eLpbwmQQGm-aTLsREXf7qPHeg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiX5uigs6D2AhWDjYkEHc6_BBgQ0Qx6BAgGEAE

Ok, now that’s got my attention!

Until now I haven’t put much effort into looking at UV (other than figuring out what part of the UV spectrum) because I thought the benefits would be marginal…

Thanks for the ‘heads up’

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Tbh it’s strain specific in some cases whether extreme or not , but there’s definitely something to it. I’m positive there is someone on here with much more experience than myself. Also I’m not doing side by side per say and I’ve only done a few runs with so my knowledge is actually pretty minimal. But in a dialed in LED room with CO2 and added UV as opposed to without there is DEFINITELY a noticeable difference in the terp production, trichome development etc. among the other already known benefits of killing PM , pests etc. and basically sterilizing things every time it cycles for some it’s definitely worth it, others I’m unsure. But I will continue to use it , tweak it and play with it .

1 Like

I’ve been looking at them, probably getting a set next harvest.

They give you any trouble getting started? I know uvb has the potential to really fuck things up if you overdo it. Also been looking at hlg uva bars, about the same price, probably easier for my dumbass :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not really but my led ones are dimmable so I started out wicked low, once I hit 100% for almost 20 minutes with zero issues so I knew I could go further down the rabbit hole, then I had a great discussion with someone regarding UV a/b/c in their entirety which further pushed me to grab the FL’s to add . HLG makes great products, I’d suspect there’s are pretty good

1 Like

Been looking at them as well. Uvb 10% bulbs don’t last very long. So I’m thinking bout going with the t5s, as your suppose to change them out every 6 mos. My buddy starts them off @ wk 5 of flower 10 min then slowly increases the time on a wkly basis. Simulating high noon in the desert. Also makes plants drink a ton more.
You definitely don’t want any uv-c, as this will terminate production. I’m definitely gonna follow along.
Spacing/distance is critical to get right.
I know @ifish can shed some light on this matter way more than I can.

5 Likes

I read up on uv…my take is uv is destructive on living tissue…the adding of trichs on buds…may be repairing from a slight sun burn on the plant…I believe more light is better than less light…

3 Likes

It’s why I like my blurples.

But I guess some of the new full spectrum white LED units also have a few uv diodes here and there along with the handful of red ones?

I understand it also pushes up the antioxidants.
Very healthy when you eat the plant.

1 Like

Yes it’s basically tricking the plant into thinking it’s being burnt , therefore it produces more trichomes. Similar to Bud Factor-X in fact but a whole different methodology. It works, just a matter of dialing in the correct processes

2 Likes

Having sold thousands of lbs of premature, wet, generic, world renowned Westcoast indo weed in my day:

Uv just makes clear trichs callus up. Maybe it sifts better? Other than that it’s equivalent to curing your herb a little better. All the wet weed from Cali/Oregon I would dry in the sun, and the price would go up. Honestly the west coast has lost their mind over the past 20 years. Indoor weed didn’t even have trichs for the most part. Then the Led flash bulb showed up and everyone became fixated on visuals. You had to bake them in the sun for half an hour to make them pop. Twice the price.

I run my uva through the whole grow. They are built onto my led boards, but I can turn them off, but I’m too lazy to flip the switch so they stay on with the regular lights lol.

1 Like

Lol, that’s one way to do it, mine are built in as well (separate bars with separate dimmers) but I only run mine end of flower atm

1 Like

I should probably try that, but haven’t noticed any negative effects with the way I’m doing it so ya know lol.

1 Like

Yezzir if it ain’t broke….

1 Like

…Don’t fix it, :100:% agree there!

1 Like

Exactly! Whatever works for you!

1 Like

Damn that’s pretty rough man. Sounds like you need to meet some better growers so you can get away from the premature, wet, generic weed that has no trichs, because that’s pretty weird indeed. :+1:

3 Likes