Ozone generator questions

Anyone have experience with uvonair ozone generator. I have a 1000 and i was trying to use it just as a cleaner for my exhaust out. Carbon filters clog they slow airflow hang out taking half the tent etc. I keep reading all these health hazards. Ive never used nothing like tgis. Friend gave it to me said it killed a 20x20 even set on a timer. Tooo much ozone or whatever they wanna call it.
Im thinking building a box to set the uvonair in with duct in n out going straight outside from one end but sealing the treated air from plants. Forcing 500cfm past it straight outside. Would this work or be a waste of time. Total space in grow room is 720 cuft. Or anyone have better ways to hook it up just for smell purposes? Or is it ok to just rock it in the room on timer. Im sensing this thing being hydro hype n waste of time.

1 Like

Interested in knowing as well.

Yeah i just got handed one for free. If its usable im trying to run it. Im only a couple weeks from chop and in prime stink. im thinking put it right in the room for clean breathing purposes n if the plants die theyre dying anyways.my friend said it killed all of em in a 10x20 in a week without a timer. Thats over 1000 cuft so somebodys numbers off. Should never been too much. He ran 8" can fans so air was moving. He never tried it again so its pretty much new. Im worried about the dog and homeowner. If it can really effect them with heavy exhausting. I got a 6" vortex hooked to a 4x8so it airs outside fast.otger boxes have cheap 6" fans on em A Video i watched said it can be run in the duct but give 20ft on other end for it to mix in air.
Building a lung box is an option i thought of too.
Idk. Lots of ifs. a machine with 2 cfm flow and exhaust over 500 cfm sounds like a waste of time but idk.

Hopefully someone on here ran em and will chime in here.
They say for commercial use only on em. Im trying to use it in a bedroom. Whole room is grow boxes and sealed from house except one passive intake. Noone in it but when i go in to garden. It stays neg pressure. but still has people and a dog living in the house too.

And most of all. if it aint gonna actually do something noticably positive why run it. Im hoping it does what it says for smell. Carbon filters suck imo.

1 Like

My Ozone is placed in my exhaust system, so no ozone is getting in contact with the plants.

Im just using 20W UV-Ozone bulps, placed inside my exhaust fans.

I also use carbon filters - Industrial grade is the type to get, they work great, and sized right they don’t restrict the airflow that much.

5 Likes

Can you put a link or something for the filters here please.
Ill spend the extra $ if they really work.
The cheap ones ive run all instantly take like 30% of the airflow. Then as they clog it just gets worse n worse til they fail n got 100degree tent unexpectedly.

Here u go
https://www.progrower.eu/en/95-prima-klima-industry

Might think about filter your intake, if you have a lot of particles cloggin up your filter sock. And then wash your pre filter, for the carbon scrubber once in a while.

Ok thanks im about to check the link see if i can find a longer skinny model. Those cheap fat ones eat headspace.

There is a growing amount of written material regarding the use of ozone generators to improve indoor air quality. Unfortunately, much of the material makes claims and draws conclusions without substantiation or sound science. There are even some vendors which suggest that their devices have been approved by the federal government, despite the fact that there is not one agency within the federal government which has approved ozone generators for use in occupied spaces. The EPA published several documents which highlight the risks and dangers of ozone and why ozone generators should be avoided.

Let’s take a look at why you should never use an ozone generator to help improve your indoor air quality.
Ozone Molecule
Why is Ozone Dangerous?

Ozone is a tiny molecule which is composed of three oxygen atoms. It is highly reactive which makes it an unstable and potentially toxic gas. Ground-level ozone is considered to be a major component of smog which plagues larger cities during the summertime and has been tied to a variety of potential health risks.
Health Effects of Ozone

The EPA has reported there is a variety of health effects associated with high levels of ozone. This may include decreased lung function, throat irritation, severe asthma symptoms, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, irritation of lung tissue, and the higher sensitivity to respiratory infection. They went on to note that there were additional risk factors which can perpetuate the side effects of ozone such as undertaking activities which raise breathing rates (such as exercising indoors), certain pre-existing lung diseases, and greater duration of exposure.
4 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Air Purifiers that Produce Ozone

Not only is ozone potentially dangerous to your health, it may not even work at all. Below are four reasons why you should never use an air purifier that produces ozone.

1. Ozone Generators May Not Work at All

Some manufacturers suggest that ozone will render nearly every chemical contaminant in the home harmless by producing a chemical reaction. This is incredibly misleading because a thorough review of scientific research has shown that in order for many of the dangerous chemicals found indoors to be eliminated the chemical reaction process may take months or even years. Other studies have also (PDF) noted that ozone cannot effectively remove carbon monoxide or from outside. If used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air pollution does not effectively remove viruses, mold, bacteria, or other biological pollutants.
2. The Chemical Reaction Can Be Dangerous

Even if ozone generators were proven to be effective at eliminating these chemicals, there are certain side effects everyone must be aware of. Many of the chemicals ozone reacts to results in a variety of harmful by-products. For example, when ozone was mixed with chemicals from new carpet in a laboratory setting, the ozone reduced many of the chemicals but created a variety of dangerous organic chemicals in the air. While the target chemicals were reduced, the dangerous byproducts rendered the process moved.
3. Ozone Generators Do Not Remove Particulates

A third factor to consider when looking at ozone generators is that they do not remove particulates such as dust or pollen from the air. This includes the particles which are primarily responsible for allergic reactions. To combat this, some ozone generators include an ionizer which disperses negatively charged ions into the air. In recent analysis’s, this process was found to be less competent in the removal of air-borne molecules of dust, smoke, pollen, and mold spores than HEPA filters and electrostatic precipitators.
4. It Is Impossible to Predict Exposure Levels

The EPA notes that it is increasingly difficult to determine the actual concentration of ozone produced by an ozone generator because so many different factors come into play. Concentrations will be higher if more powerful devices used in smaller spaces. Whether or not the interior doors are closed rather than open will affect concentrations as well. Additional factors which affect concentration levels include how many materials and furnishings are in the room to react with ozone, the level of outdoor air ventilation, and the proximity of a person to the ozone generating device.
HEPA Air Purifier
HEPA Filters: The Safer & More Effective Solution

Choosing a HEPA filter is a significantly safer and effective solution than an ozone generator. Instead of releasing dangerous ozone, a HEPA filter traps indoor air pollutants rather than trying to create a chemical reaction with them.

HEPA filters are the only type of air cleaners which meet specific EPA standards for efficacy. This means when you purchase an air purifier which relies on this type of technology, you can rest easy knowing exactly what the level of effectiveness will be.

he EPA has reported there is a variety of health effects associated with high levels of ozone. This may include decreased lung function, throat irritation, severe asthma symptoms, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, irritation of lung tissue, and the higher sensitivity to respiratory infection

4 Likes

I remember making my first 03 generator from a neon light and glass and a big piece of abs man we’ve come a long way affordable ozone generating is amazing

1 Like

I bought a 10gram per hour generator for less than $15 before covid. Haven’t used it much lately, but they’re nice to have around.

1 Like

Anyone interested in using Ozone should carefully read @CLOSETGROWTH’s post above.

I use a UV Ozone generator routinely to sterilize my grow room IN BETWEEN grows with great results. I run the UV light for an hour in my 600 sqft room, (empty of all plants) then crank the exhaust fan up to expel all the O3 gas outdoors. I don’t go back into the room until the unmistakable Ozone smell is completely gone.

That process kills pretty much every living thing right down to the local spiders hiding in the rafters. IMHO, that is the only proper use of Ozone for the cannabis grower.

Ozone is toxic and corrosive, nothing to play around with. Use a hepafilter on your exhaust for particulates.

Just my $0.02,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

I have a 400 one the blue one that goes sale sometimes on amazon…if the lights are on and stomata open after 15 mins it will fry the plants the next day from oxidation just like salt.

With lights off and fans on in a closet with 2x2 plants or bigger tent ive done 15 mins no issue.
Ozone also causes a trigger response but too much will also oxidize trichomes and maybe volatile secretions u want to keep for taste.

1 Like

The best use of an ozone generator is in the exhaust. Give it a little time to mix with the air. It’ll kill the odor without exposing you or your plants to it.
It is extremely oxidizing and WILL burn your lungs

Ozone can be used very safely and effectively but anyone choosing to go down that road needs to do thier homework.
Ozone kills living tissue/organisms by oxidizing them (essentially this means burning them)
It is toxic in that sufficiient concentrations will burn your eyes, nasal passages, throat, lungs… you get the idea. It is not toxic as in it is not a poison… it is an oxidizer

Your plants will be burnt as well so it needs to be used with care.
In the exhaust the concentrations do not matter as long the exhaust is venting to the outside air. Ozone is not toxic for the environment so venting it into the air outside is not polluting or poisoning “the climate”. Ozone is a natural gas that is formed at ground level frequently by nature. It can be smelled sometimes when natural concentrations are high enough. I have never heard of anyone dropping dead or being “poisoned” by breathing in ground level ozone that has naturally formed.

So do some research, it is no less safer than supplementing C02 , which also has dangers associated to it.
Ozone can even be safely used in an intake set up if it is the correct percentage of concentration. Air purifiers marketted for in home use that are deploying ozone will generally not harm the plants in your home and grow room. If it’s safe concentration for us to breathe, your plants will not be harmed either. Many micro organisms , bacterias and other particulate matter in the air stream will be killed by this type of small output ozone generators but people, pets and plants will not be harmed.

Then there are industrial ozone generators used for removing the smells of decay from rooms, buildings, motor vehicles , ect.
A friend used to buy cars from estate sales and at oone time purchased a rather collectable 70’s model corvette stingray. It was pearl white with a gorgeous red interior but a guy had killed himself in the vehicle and wasn;t found for a bit… nasty.
Buddy had that car detailed, new leather interior to match it all but the lingering smell kept coming back faintly. 48 hours with a high output ozone generator inside and that car never stank again.

In the 90’s we could buy or build ozone generators and always ran them in the exhaust system. I never ran ozone through my intakes although I know of at least one well known and respected breeded who does and has been for years.

My exhaust systems combine to one outflow point and in that last section of ducting there is a series of electrified plates that are the ozone generator(s) . Nothing living escapes that section of the exhaust… not pollen, not insects, nothing. My primary concern is killing pollen though.
As for running ozone in a grow room… I’m the wrong guy to ask but I think the concentration is somewhere around .4% . Pretty sure it was Katsu that runs the ozone in his intakes but I might be mistaken. I’ll poke around and see if I can find the conversation though i think it took place on another site.

5 Likes

Precisely So. Well said.

For most growers the sweet spot is disinfection of a grow space. Using a cheap UVC lightbulb to oxidize every pest in your grow space solves a big problem for many.

BUT, you’ve gotta plan to evacuate the gas once it has done its job.

Ozone in high enough concentrations can sterilize water supplies for entire cities. Ozone is nothing to mess around with, but used right…Well, I haven’t seen another CannaPest in over two years.

Jus my $0.02,
-Grouchy

3 Likes

Instead of an ozone generator look at an AirROS system by sage. Kills powdery mildew in the air and on surfaces. Got one, works like a charm.

You have prices on them?

1 Like