Seed Innoculant?

Been watching a series on YouTube on bionutrient soil suggested by @Tinytuttle. Very interesting stuff! Has anyone used seed innoculants on their cannabis? From what I’ve read on the web it’s usually just for legumes, but this guy claims to innoculate all of his seeds claiming it keeps them all disease free.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Rhizobia is a bacteria that infects some plants, namely legumes. Once the plant is infected, nodules (bumps) form within the roots of the host plant converting nitrogen gas from the air into ammonium…most of the ammonium is passed onto the plant so it takes the place of nitrogen to store meanwhile the bacteria take carbon from the plant to continue forming “nitrogen balls” living in symbiosis…it is this bacteria that fixes nitrogen not the plant.

As far as I know rhizobia is picky for its host preferring beans, alfalfa, peas and clover only. Now there are a couple other bacteria related to rhizobia though they do not form the symbiotic relationship to actually fix the nitrogen from the air into the soil…I am sure there is a study on it somewhere

4 Likes

I usually dust seed holes with Wallace brand endo-mycoryzal and xtreme gardener Azos which is a nitrogen fixing bacteria like @MomOnTheRun mentioned.

side note you can also get nitrogen fixing bacteria from properly made compost, so if you make your own or buy some you should have them in the soil. The fungal side is a bit harder to get because there’s only one strain of endo that forms a relationship with cannabis. But fear not, you can always make more bought endo fungi following or adapting the link Books, PDF's, and other useful nerdy sh#t

4 Likes

This guy is claiming that there are only certain innoculants that cover all 4 bacterial and fungi spectrums or something. I’m on part 5 of 9. I’m hoping he covers more on it.

3 Likes

I guess my point in all this is… It couldn’t hurt right?

1 Like

He talks about composting nutrients instead of giving fast acting too … like rock dust
It’s all so fascinating.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check out the videos to see what they have to say. I’m betting it’s an advanced version of Liebig’s barrel, which basically states the most important nutrient you need is the one you’re lacking so all things should be in balance. With organics that balance lies in good biology and nutrient cycling.

4 Likes

Its called Rhizophagus Irregularis, and used to be called Glomus Intraradices. There are a bunch of wicked cheap innoculants that contain this species.

From what I can tell, Mammoth P is currently the only innoculant that can justify an obscene price. I believe we can multiply it with that same method in the PDF from @DavesNotHere
I’m not sure if theres benefits to innoculating a seed with Mammoth P tho.

Exactly.

4 Likes

Here is the link… If anyone is interested

*edit Sorry I gave you the link to part 5, there are 9 in this series

2 Likes

In one of these series kittredrrdge speaks of Gabe Brown a guy who has videos also worth taking a look at I have posted it somewhere here if I can find it I’ll try linking it!

3 Likes

Here is the the link it’s posted in my Thread " soil life discussion "

2 Likes

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and buy the Mammoth P. It can’t hurt. I’m gonna start experimenting with it after the solstice on my greenhouse auto grow. It should be interesting.

2 Likes

i tried a sample of mammoth P but it wasn’t enough to even do one flowering cycle at half the recommended dosage so can’t really comment … people seem to really like it… lemme know how it works for you

1 Like

@legalcanada I’m actually doing a comparison grow right now with it. So far they are in preflower, but the control is the star of the show. I have been throwing it in my greenhouse flowers and around my yard too and I really think it may work. My regular flowering plants seem to thrive with it. We’ll see how the mj yield comes out on my experiment though at the end.

2 Likes

There was a fellow named TonyGreen on another forum who tried something similar. Last thing I remember, he had even considered companion planting with legumes and using mycorrhizae to see if the two types of plants could share a pseudo- secondary root system. I wonder what ever happened to those experiments? I don’t much care for that forum anymore, but I may have to visit and see if I can dig up the thread.

In any case, I find subjects like this fascinating and will be following along :popcorn:

1 Like

@Howard.Crane Meesh's Winter Greenhouse Grow
Not sure if you are following this one… My Mammoth P grow

So many threads, so little time, lol. I had not seen that one yet, but it’s now on the list of subscribed threads :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well thanks! I would just click summarize at the top. That way you can see all the photos and then you are caught right up. lol

1 Like