Seed Run Co-Op Bodhi F2 Mothers Milk - closed

Probably going to get shredded for this comment, so have at it, but why is stem rub held in such high regard for ‘selection’. Personally, I have never had stem rub notes maintain the same smell all the way through flower and cure. I have a cross that smelled 100% bazooka joe. Yet once cured, not a hint of smell or flavor. I’ll admit my cure is not the best and possibly even my biggest pit fall, but even other locals I associate with who grow experience the same thing. One garden in particular, I KNOW the nose through veg/ flower and never does it shine through post cure. Seems like an archaic method of selection

8 Likes

If you think a stem rub is useless that’s your position but you’re missing the point on why it’s done. Stem rubbing doesn’t mean the terp profile won’t change, because the terps are constantly changing and evolving.

It’s all about information and when selection time comes its good to have info around, the same goes for vigor, structure, leaf shapes/patterns/traits, and cuttings to root times. It can also be used to find your favourite in a future seed run or to tell someone growing that strain what to look out for.

15 Likes

I also use stem rubs as a major contributor to male selection too along with structural integrity and a few other things that you learn over the years … but for me stem smells are a big factor…
V

9 Likes

I tend to smell the plant and leaves, stick my head in there and take a big whiff, more than the stem rub.
Sometimes I take a leaf and crush it in my hand to smell it.
If a male doesn’t smell great not very interested in it.

8 Likes

I’m trying to grow my males out more and more, but it’s a job. I’m going to find a better way for the future to keep them. I have a plan already, sort of. It’s the one place most people don’t explore, as far as what it is bringing to the party.

6 Likes

A few pics of collecting pollen:

24 Likes

nice robust male you got there !!

Mothers Milk female starting to flower! Yee haw!

19 Likes

This is the top of the main branch.

13 Likes

Another branch.
If u seen the cold weather damage in the pic just above, you are correct.
We had temps of 8 Celcius (46Fapprox.) 2 nights ago, and 9C (48F approx.) last nite.
The other 3 are behind this one. They still in a pre-flower mode. Any day now they will start to button like here.

10 Likes

What’s the chance of saving some pollen for me?
I’ll be cracking mamilk in a minute.

What kinda smells you got on the stem and off the leaves?

Got 22-24 to go on a hunt with all f1’s, getting cracked all the same time.

5 Likes

I call it Puppy Breath. Smells like puppy’s breath if u know what I mean.
Yea, I can send ya some if u wish.
Gotta tell ya, its 3 diff males tho, not just one. We are running a preservation run so Ill be hitting all the males to all the females.
If u still want it, lemme know. Send me a private msg.
(I could prolly isolate 1 male. Dunno what your criteria is…
smell, first to flower, tallest males, shortest male)

8 Likes

What is it you are cracking? Mothers Milk? a Mothers Milk hybrid? or something else?

4 Likes

Mother’s milk I got 2 paks, might throw in her mom also.

9 Likes

Nepali og…

8 Likes

ah, cool!
Yea I can hook u up if u r interested.
Msg me, and go from there

4 Likes

Ghash pollen anyone…

5 Likes

I’ll have some snow Lotus BX pollen shortly, if you want to remake Goji?

12 Likes

Do it, do it lmao honestly would be a nice community share.

8 Likes

Yeah, he wants to do it, heh

6 Likes