Seed Runs Co-Op Logistics/Cost/OT Discussion Megathread

That sounds like a lot of extra work

5 Likes

Got your bathing suit on under your clothes? hehā€¦ Iā€™ve got a wool hat on my head, INSIDE my house, lol. Aloha! have a blast!

2 Likes

I did not mean to do that manually. Rather let the system set a badge based on, letā€™s say number of days visited, if that is possible. Actually I donā€™t know how the ā€œregularā€ batch is calculated, it might just be that.

Just saying the pips seem to be based mostly on chattiness, which is not ideal to have good content. People that read a lot, post little but good stuff could be much more valuable but are excluded for longer than others.

Tbh I donā€™t think newbies need a proper guide on how to be able to enter seed runs as fast as possible. There are a lot of postings dealing with that. I think itā€™s totally enough to say ā€œbecome a part of the community and it will happen eventuallyā€ and have some kind of rule(s) in the background that donā€™t have to be explained so people donā€™t play the system. Who is driven away by that wonā€™t be missed anyway.

Edit: Here is some info on how trust levels in discourse (the OG forum software) work. Itā€™s a mix of things. I think regular would be a good level from what is required, but that would mean it takes over 3 months to enter anything. That might be a little long.
It does not require to be registered for 100 days, I misunderstood that. I got after 51 days. So yeah, that would be my choice instead of pips. And it is already implemented in the software.

6 Likes

I could be wrong but I doubt that was the vision.

12 Likes

Im i late on this or did i get finger printed and dusted?

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I fell asleep waiting for my youngest to be done with his homework on the computer bt here now for a few minutesā€¦

I was thinking about this on/off yesterday and your right allowing this part of it to be totally scalable in the long runā€¦listen to the accountant on this one :stuck_out_tongue: Would you be willing to periodically audit the financial side of this?

We kinda already do asking breeders and/or seed gifters to have 100 packsā€¦most times there are way more than that though other times we fall short so plan on rerunning that particular strain to at least cover the initial list. If/when someone does a seed run on it, the strain becomes available againā€¦we are growing pretty fast so adding this to the potential change list

7 Likes

Did you even attempt to read the first post to see if you put your name on the list or just making your bi-weekly og visit just to ask for free seeds?

2 Likes

What the heck is a week i log in everyday.

@Badfishy1

2 Likes

Man, I love this place and all you fine folks. I have no doubt in my mind we will get this all worked out.

Iā€™m here to help if anyone needs anything I will do my level best to make it happen, just say the word.

Yaā€™ll be good to one another,

fr0g_D

8 Likes

Iā€™m just going to say one thingā€¦

The more organized an effort is. The more attention it attractsā€¦ I dont think we want this too organized to the point certain agencies decide to take note.

My 0.02$

2 Likes

This is a little bit self centered as I contribute regularly, but I wouldnā€™t mind seeing people signed up for patreon donations getting first crack at seed runs. It happens without my input now, as long as I have $10 in muy bank account at the beginning of the month it goes to OG.com.

or have a sign up for a few select premium seed runs inside a private sub group for regular donaters? just some ideas.

7 Likes

Having glanced through this thread, I have 2 suggestions to keep this concept a viable and fruitful endeavor.

1. all financial matters must be considered as a matter of donation, gifting, and reimbursement.
    there can be no payment, subscription, or fee. that is the only way this stays legal and ethical.

2. no money changes hands until seeds reach the distributor.
    this is a no brainer. cynicism aside, we have already had 4 members accept rare donations and disappear before distribution. We cannot let failed preservation runs or individuals with bad intentions become a burden on our distribution, donations, or our kindness as we continue with this project.

17 Likes

I do not think we should consider covering grow costs. I think early on this was understood that by participating as a breeder, you are donating your time, expertise, and grow facilities to a collaborative group effort.

this will greatly reduce the cost and risk for everyone involved. It will keep this as a fun community donation project, and it will disincentivize people who might take advantage of donations or community funding.

edit- it was pointed out early on in the co-op discussion that the incentive for breeders is not only the experience of growing out rare seeds, but the clones, f2ā€™s, and flower they will get from the donation as well.

15 Likes

another way to keep this light and quick moving would be to catalog co-op grows, but not open up projects for recipient sign up until they are completed. that way we will know what the actual limitations are for the number of potential recipients before we commit to giving out seeds to everyone.

6 Likes

I have finally been able to expand my indoor grow to space large enough for me to pop a whole pack of seeds at once, so I will finally be able to start donating reproductions of my discontinued bodhi packs.
Iā€™m looking forward to being involved more actively, being disabled it has been very difficult for me to mail out a bunch packages and distribute seeds myself, so this project is a great opportunity for me to share my work with the community.
Iā€™m excited to move forward when the rules are established, and happy to help out any way I can in the meantime.

18 Likes

Alright, here is where we are at with the potential changesā€¦

Move all the preservation runs into its own subforum available only to members with a 5 Pip count

Only 1 seed pack per strain per person. Sign ups start once the strain has been harvested and an estimated seed count is done. If didnā€™t get in on the 1st round, will have to wait until a repeat seed run is made or arrange a trade with someone

Plan on a repeat strain seed run every other year ie Skunk 91 done in 2019 - repeat needed in 2021, 2023 etc

2 mail outs a year: breeders have strains sent to distributors by end of March and August for the 3rd week of April and September mailings starting fresh with the next box in 2020

Each distributor receives a copy of the lists by Beginning of April and September to know how much to collect from members in their area and give those members an opportunity to pass on a strain

Each member pays 5.00 per strain to their distributor by the 2nd week of April and September to cover the main postage and add to a packaging fund to donate packaging supplies if needed as well as, make a bi yearly financial gift for the server. The only exception is seed packs gifted to the community as most do not have a journal as well as, any private seed gifting/exchange to save on additional postage

Each distributor deducts postage with audits done in May and October ā€“ any funds over 150.00 is added to the server fund ie 8 strains available: $40.00 ā€“10 maximum for postage - 10% packaging fund = 27.00 to the server; want 3 of the 8 strains = 15.00 ā€“ 10 max for postage ā€“ 10% packaging fund = 2.50 to the server

Permanent list for members with a 10+ pip count to receive all strains available once the 5.00 per seed pack is sent to their distributorā€¦.these members can pass up on any strain to go to a specific member, towards a periodic server fundraiser or member contribution award

edited to add: I will most likely have 1 or 2 seed runs through the winter so for the April mailings, I can accept all seeds runs from breeders to send to distributors though not in September as summer is just too crazy for me to keep up

21 Likes

Sounds good only one Iā€™m unsure about is sign up after the bud is harvested. Iā€™m asking this to hear what others think.

I like to know how many people are on the list while Iā€™m growing so I know how long to veg forā€¦ I guess breeders could always just aim for a 2000 seed count then we know we are good for the number of people that sign no matter what.

Thoughts?

16 Likes

Whelp, it was a suggestion made so not to get hopes up once the run is done so included it as 2 of my strains (the luckyā€™s) have to be reranā€¦big plants though very little seed due to my neglect with all my irl changes - knew they were going to happen just severely underestimated the impact and when they all happened at once wellā€¦

So to me, it makes sense though at the same time having an ongoing list is exciting and gives an idea of a number to shoot forā€¦we have been going for 100 packs = 1,000 seeds though we are growing quickly - honestly, I could go either way on this

12 Likes

I agree that the breeder doesnt need compensation. Thats the whole point of volunteering no?

11 Likes

True though sometimes shit happens and may need an extra bit of help getting them out so if it stays itā€™ll be as on a need basis for packaging and getting them to distributors, nothing more ā€¦I buy everything in bulk for myself so do not mind doing this for someone and have a couple times though there may be times I wonā€™t be able to. So personally I see it as insurance the seeds are delivered - definitely not as compensation for doing a seed run

14 Likes